Unique electric car

[QUOTE=gottdi;9963]I was not talking about brakes. I was talking about steering? In case of a loss of communication with your wireless steering you won’t have time to think. It will happen and your up the creek. Then your brain will engage and you will be too late. Accidents happen in millionths of a second and the brain just can’t work that fast. Once you realize you have a problem its too late.

I also like Ford. You also don’t see the stick steering any longer either. The wheel was and still is the preferred method of aiming a vehicle in the direction you need to go and the preferred method of keeping in the direction you need to go.

In an airliner they use a wheel too. In a jet fighter they use a stick only because there is little room for a wheel.

The wheel is no more than a round stick. Works brilliantly. Mechanical attachment is the safest method. Not the only method but the safest.[/QUOTE]

Two wheel braking is great for slow off road use like with dune buggies and such but is quite dangerous on the roadway. You need on method to stop your vehicle in a straight line. What if your stopping and you loose grip on one brake. That would flip you around in a heart beat and you can’t recover. Just because it has not happened I guarantee it will to someone. There are plenty of folks who drive with braking systems off road like yours. Go ask them if they think it would he safe on the road way.

Hi gottdi, I`m a pilot, when you are taking off on a runway in a cessna172 you steer with your feet at 70mph before takeoff. Did you know? On a more serious note. We have done experiments,that clearly show the EVette can be driven autonomous (drive by computer). No more drunk driving or cell phone accidents. Save millions of lives. Your thoughts?
Tom Sines:D
http://electricevette

[QUOTE=unique electric car;9973]Hi gottdi, I`m a pilot, when you are taking off on a runway in a cessna172 you steer with your feet at 70mph before takeoff. Did you know? On a more serious note. We have done experiments,that clearly show the EVette can be driven autonomous (drive by computer). No more drunk driving or cell phone accidents. Save millions of lives. Your thoughts?
http://electricevette[/QUOTE]

Yes Tom I am aware of that. It’s rudder steering and brake steering when real slow. In the air its all the rudder, flaps ailerons and such. Worked on A7 Corsairs in the Navy. Never flew. Not a pilot. I do know how it works.

I am also aware of your early attempts to drive autonomously. It won’t prevent a drunk from hitting you. It won’t prevent someone else that is not paying attention because they are texting or talking from hitting you.

It might prevent YOU from hitting someone but I would not trust my life yet to autonomy. And not in that unsafe beast you have.

I am also aware your beast is a test bed vehicle and not intended for the consumer.

So how long have you been working on this autonomy for your vehicle? So far most have not been able to do much. Some have now gotten autonomy to park a car. But never to get you home with a world of blind vehicles.

Some day it will happen and the road will be full of autonomous vehicles but not in my lifetime.

We are not yet into the Jetsons age. It’s coming.

Once autonomy can protect you form total blind idiocy and all other possible disasters then it will be good.

Just like light weight electric cars in mass with infinite ranges due to powered roads. It will take time.

I think once we get powered like that then the autonomous vehicle will start to become a reality on the road way.

There will be some successes and places where it will come in handy but it won’t be wide spread for quite some time.

But keep on hacking away at that. It is one thing that does have promise.

Hi gottdi, You need to grow a set! This car fun.
Electric EVette

[QUOTE=unique electric car;9975]Hi gottdi, You need to grow a set! This car fun.
Electric EVette[/QUOTE]

Actually Tom my set is just fine. Never doubted that it was fun or not. I just would not trust it on the Hwy. It would never make it as a production vehicle. For fun and a one off yes. Might consider putting in some affordable lightweight cells in that beast. Might be easier to control.

Glad your having fun.

Im havin a grand time in mine.

Hi gottdi, Good, come on over. Ill give you a ride youll never forget!
Electric EVette

[QUOTE=unique electric car;9977]Hi gottdi, Good, come on over. Ill give you a ride youll never forget!
Electric EVette[/QUOTE]

I’d like to take you up on the offer but I am on the west coast and no plans on making it out to your neck of the woods any time soon. If I ever happen to be in your neck of the woods I hope I can remember to contact you and take you up on the offer. I’d bet its a hoot to drive. For my needs mine is great. I don’t’ need another EV than the one I drive and the three others we are building.

Pete :slight_smile:

All mine got 4 wheels firmly planted on the ground. Just like I like. Never did like my tricycle as a kid. To unstable. Either 2 wheels or 4. But not 3.

Hi gottdi, This is not like any three wheeler you have ever seen.

Electric EVette

Hi, While America circles the transportation drain, some people desperately hold on to the past. When innovation comes by, they reject it with both hands hanging on to the status quo. Even though, people can no longer afford transportation to get to a job, if they had one. A sad state of affairs.
Electric EVette

[QUOTE=unique electric car;8474]Hi, It doesnt matter what batteries you use. I helped convert about 40 gas cars to electric, and one thing was always constant, there is never enough room to put the batteries. A conventional car cant hold enough batteries to get the distance. You must build the car around the batteries, not make the batteries fit the car.
Tom Sines
Electric EVette[/QUOTE]

So what kind of battery takes up the least space. I want to build a car that will take me to work and back with a bit of reserve. About 200km per day.

[QUOTE=unique electric car;9973]Hi gottdi, I`m a pilot, when you are taking off on a runway in a cessna172 you steer with your feet at 70mph before takeoff. Did you know? On a more serious note. We have done experiments,that clearly show the EVette can be driven autonomous (drive by computer). No more drunk driving or cell phone accidents. Save millions of lives. Your thoughts?
http://electricevette[/QUOTE]

Thats all fine but I still prefer the Steering wheel. Call me old school if you like. Drive by wire is not new to cars so I can live with it if it proves to be safe. And that will only be proven by the test of time. On the other hand you have progressed allot further than me so well done with your project.

Hi, The nissan leaf is about3,450lbs, and has 660lbs of batteries, less than 20% batteries. My point, conventional cars can`t hold enough batteries to get the distance. Any comments?
Electric EVette

[QUOTE=unique electric car;10039]Hi, The nissan leaf is about3,450lbs, and has 660lbs of batteries, less than 20% batteries. My point, conventional cars can`t hold enough batteries to get the distance. Any comments?
Electric EVette[/QUOTE]

Hi Tom,
The Nissan Leaf is a Dinky Toy Not ment for going long distances. And at this point in time it looks like major car manufacturers have not done much effort to do proper market research. Or for that matter product research. They still have to many cars in their sales departments that run on fossil fuel. So they wont bring out something that will rival fossil fuel.

That’s why Tesla can build a conventional car that goes the distance (300miles/charge). The biggest problem I probably have is money. Battery technology is expensive. But will hopefully become cheaper in the future, unless that is going to become the next oil (lithium-ion) field of our time.

[QUOTE=SpeedGazer;10040]Hi Tom,
The Nissan Leaf is a Dinky Toy Not ment for going long distances. And at this point in time it looks like major car manufacturers have not done much effort to do proper market research. Or for that matter product research. They still have to many cars in their sales departments that run on fossil fuel. So they wont bring out something that will rival fossil fuel.

That’s why Tesla can build a conventional car that goes the distance (300miles/charge). The biggest problem I probably have is money. Battery technology is expensive. But will hopefully become cheaper in the future, unless that is going to become the next oil (lithium-ion) field of our time.[/QUOTE]

The Evette is a TOY with old lead acid and over weight and very short distances. I own a Leaf and can assure you its NO TOY. With a larger pack it could do what Tesla has done as far as distance and I can assure you that the market research HAS been done and done WELL.

Until the priced come down you are quite welcome to go spend your money on GASOLINE which by the way is WAY more expensive then running on electricity. Even if you calculate in the cost of the vehicle which includes a battery expected to last as long as the vehicle you get a vehicle that is not much different in cost than your regular car.

Did you crunch the numbers yet? I suppose not because if you had you’d see that the cost is not what you THINK. It’s too bad that you think more than you do.

My Kia Sportage had I kept it for the life of the vehicle or about 150,000 miles worth of driving, would have cost me a whopping $26,000 in GASOLINE ALONE to drive that distance if FUEL were to remain constant at $3.50 per gallon.
The same distance driven in my Leaf at a WHOPPING .11 cents per kWh and only 70 miles per full charge which would be 24kwh would be WHAT? You crunch the numbers and pos the answer.

Granted I can’t go to Grandma’s straight away but 96% of my driving on a daily basis is to work and back which happens to be only 45 miles total. An easy task for the Leaf. I drive at freeway speeds daily and never miss a beat.

Now go do your homework.

Hi, The tesla, a $100,000, 300mi. on a charge. 6,831 cells an electronic wiring nightmare. People are not buying this car. Too expensive!
Electric EVette

Hi gottdi, Game on. The leaf a conventional car, maneuvers like a tank compared to the EVette, and the EVette can easily carry twice the batteries. More distance!
electricevette.com

Hi gottdi,
No I have not made any calcs yet but thanks. I realized without calcs that it will be allot less than fossil fuel to run an electric car. Since we pay R10 (approximately $80) for a liter of fuel. I live in South Africa and we are not so lucky as you to have EV’s available over here. I take my reference from Top Gear, the Internet and this Forum. And sorry I meant the Leave is inferior to the the Tesla Model S not the Roadster. Only because the Leave is small and cant go as far. I realize the Roadster is very expensive. Anyway for what it’s worth I like all forms of EV’s and I still think Nissan could have done a hell of a lot better. If Tesla can they should be able to do better. Tesla is still building their resources where Nissan is World wide and established and on that ground the Leave is a Dinky Toy.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=SpeedGazer;10044]Hi gottdi,
No I have not made any calcs yet but thanks. I realized without calcs that it will be allot less than fossil fuel to run an electric car. Since we pay R10 (approximately $80) for a liter of fuel. I live in South Africa and we are not so lucky as you to have EV’s available over here. I take my reference from Top Gear, the Internet and this Forum. And sorry I meant the Leave is inferior to the the Tesla Model S not the Roadster. Only because the Leave is small and cant go as far. I realize the Roadster is very expensive. Anyway for what it’s worth I like all forms of EV’s and I still think Nissan could have done a hell of a lot better. If Tesla can they should be able to do better. Tesla is still building their resources where Nissan is World wide and established and on that ground the Leave is a Dinky Toy.:)[/QUOTE]

It’s too bad you don’t have EV’s available. Then you must build one. Don’t take Top Gear as gospel. It is entertainment. You would not buy a Leaf or build an electric car if you needed more than 75 miles daily. It is known that you don’t need more than that for most of your daily needs. It is also known that most families have more than one vehicle. So in that light have a gas vehicle for the very occasional long distance trip needed and use the electric for the rest. It does work. If you rarely ever drive more than 70 miles per day what tote around all those batteries. The Leaf is a very good and well built vehicle and I think Nissan could have done a bit better but not a whole lot better. It was never meant to compete with the Tesla S or Roadster. It is also not small. It is a 5 passenger hatch back 4 door vehicle. Plenty of room for groceries too. The one thing that I would like to see is a bit larger battery pack. I’d like it to have a good solid 120 mile range at 65 mph. It has plenty of room to increase the size of the battery.

Did you know that the Tesla S will offer one with only 140 miles range? Most will buy the one with more range but some will see that they don’t need to tote around an extra large pack or that they buy what they can afford but still have a Tesla S.

The Leaf is also a quick car and will do 95 mph.

[QUOTE=unique electric car;10043]Hi gottdi, Game on. The leaf a conventional car, maneuvers like a tank compared to the EVette, and the EVette can easily carry twice the batteries. More distance!
electricevette.com[/QUOTE]

No Tom, The Leaf does not maneuver like a tank. Yours does. It has tank type steering and its not required on conventional roads. For off road use it could come in handy at low speeds. I will not argue with you on that. I don’t drive OFF ROAD in my commuter car. It does just fine and actually better than some. We already went down this road. Don’t go there again.

Same for the carrying capacity of the batteries. Just because you can haul twice the weight does not mean its SAFE. I would never haul around 2,000 lbs of lead acid cells in that thing of yours. NEVER EVER EVER. if anyone does they are idiots.

We already know that if you carry more batteries that you go further. I can still go further with less weight than you.

You’re distance is just crap and you still will not reveal what your beast can do. I know it won’t go very far at all with LEAD ACID batteries.