Service Manuals

@AssyRequired my email address is m_tiller@charter.net

I appreciate anything you can send. I’m getting started on it this week. Still waiting for the key to come in.

Apologies. I thought I sent this. Let me check.
You don’t need to wait for key. Take the back of the Dash Pod off and jump the wires going out to the key. Maybe even use a switch for now.

Start with a meter and see if your batteries have any life in them. I hope you have been boosting them up. Use a car charger one at a time. Get them up over 11.5 each and see if your onboard charger will kick in and take over. If wet cells, make sure they all are topped up with water.

Hi. Was wondering if i could get the manual for an 2002 gem car and a wiring diagram.

Deescoupons629@gmail.com

Thank you!

• need the service manual for a 2008 Gem 4 if you still are on the forum.

Hello All. I just came across this community and I am hoping you could point me to the right place. I have a 2017 GEM E4 that I have been converting from a PbA system to a Lithium-ion system. The first time I went through it I installed a new charger (IC1200), with a Lithium profile, and a LFP pack. Everything went smooth and it worked for several years. Now I am working on switching out a new pack but the charger doesnt want to charge anymore. I believe it is a communication problem between the charger and the car where it is waiting for an interlock to clear or possibly a blown fuse. Does anyone know a source for the service manual? My hope is that by looking through that I can figure out where some of the gremlins are. Any suggestions are very welcome. Thank you.

rodneyadiehl@aol.com

Could sure use a service/repair manual for my 2002 e825 2-passenger

don.russell5@aol.com

Could I also get a link for the 2000 gem e4s?
Thanks

Sent you an email as well, thank you.

Didnt get email send again rodneyadiehl@aol.com

Sent another one but I’ll post it here as well, 2000 e4 manuals wesley.williams95@live.com

[quote=“Old_Houseboater, post:6, topic:5625”]
rodneyadiehl@aol.com
[/quote
Hello, my name is Paul Cantu and i recently joined the GEM Forum. i have just acquired 2 GEMs…2019 GEM e4 and a 2020 GEM e6. I would like to see if you have operation, service and parts manuals for either or both of these cars??
What little i understand from reading posts is that GEM redesigned thier cars in 2016 and have deprived the users and DIY’ers from any manuals or parts outside of consulting a GEM dealership…not cool! so my question is, if for example my GEM needs a brake part (or any parts)…how do I go by identifying the correct part number for a rotor or brake pads (or any part really) and then how do i go about ordering them without having to consult first with the dealership?
Any information is greatly appreciated!

Can you please send me the wire diagram for 2002 72 volt?
Kevwilliams223@yahoo.com

I got one for you. Sending shortly.
The tricky part with the Gen1 cars is identifying if your car has the wiring update and what exactly has changed, and where the second drawing (also being sent) patches in.

Once you get them, feel free to start your own topic(best to not tack onto this one) and we can discuss what issues you are actually exploring on your cart.

If anyone has a line on the 2015 EM1400LSV service manual, I would love to know about it. Just picked one up a few weeks ago and need to go through the brakes and would love a wiring diagram.

PM me ypur email address. The em1400 service manual covers all years.

From what i recall, there are a frew brake parts options when it comes to the pads - a standard and a heavy duty. Calipers are the same i think, rear rotors may have two options.

A lot of those kind of parts are common with some Ranger 500 models. I would have to look at my notes from getting parts for my eM.

Manual sent.

BTW, I was thinking about the brakes earlier. Most eM1400’s I’ve seen have their brakes all torn up. I’m thinking that it’s due to the eM1400 stock brakes being Ranger brakes and the Rangers don’t have 800lb of lead battery in them. My eM came with eight enormous 6v Leoch AGMs that weigh about 90lbs each. There were two brake pad and rotor options, a standard and a “Heavy Duty” . There may have been more than one option in the heavy duty. I’d recommend going with the heavy duty ones if you are going to be using the lead batteries for a while before converting to lithium (you will eventually, we all do… just talk to us first before jumping down that rabbit hole, there are guys here who pioneered the aftermarket lithium, they know what works)

Thanks! This is very helpful. Yeah the rotors and pads were indeed torn up and I will look at the options you mentioned.

I do indeed plan on converting to lithium one of these days. As the batteries are 8 months old, I do want to get some use out of them or perhaps see if I can find an interested buyer. They are basic cheapo golf cart ones so I suspect once spring rolls around I might be able unload them pretty easy. If you do find time to dig up the parts book as well I would most appreciate it, but no hurry.

I am a recently retired developer and I am eyeing that diag port. I did some research over coffee this morning and it looks like there are plenty of people making a “Digital Wrench” to OBD2 adapter for cheap. I may have a chat with Sevcon next week. If I do I will let the forum know how that goes.

I believe the Sevcon Gen. IV software is all you need to talk to the controller in an eM.
Not sure if Digital Wrench is needed / talks to the eM1400 as I think the electronics are different than other 2015+ GEMs.

@Inwo @djgabriel2004 @MikeKC @AssyRequired

As for lithium on the eM, 14s works with the stock DC-DC converter. 15s only if you charge to less than 4v, as it has a top limit of 60v. You can upgrade the converter to a 72/80v and go more cells, since that one has a bottom limit of 60v, but you need the 14.1v output one which has been historically rare. At least on the used market.

And, without changing gears, probably won’t be able to get much above 35 without grenading the stock motor.

Something I thought was neat and that I wanted to do with mine (fully closed cab), was to stick an air conditioner in it. Right in that enormous space down low between the front wheels where the winch and forward diff go on a Ranger. Maybe run a second battery pack and charger for it. Project died on the vine though, don’t have time these days .

I looked over the gen 4 manual and a quite a few posts in other forums about the Sevcon, and while I probably will end up getting a copy of their software, it is overkill for some of my projects. I think I can make a nice display of motor data, monitor/show regen and maybe modify a few basic params with a few dollar USB CAN dongle and a cable. It looks like it is talking OpenCAN and the Gen 4 IDs look to be available as well. That Sevcon software seems great if you are putting in a new motor or adding/changing major features, but overkill for the guy that just wants change the max RPM and maybe a few other things. If it all works I will throw it up on github and let the public have at it.

Yeah 35 MPH is plenty. This is a bucket list toy for my wife and she just wants to tootle around town and not be an irritant on 35-40mph roads. I am kinda thinking I will build my own custom battery from cells and wire up my own BMS, just because I have an interest there. Maybe custom make a box for the exact size under the seat and see how many High Energy Density LiFePO4 Prismatic Cells | Shop Now! I can fit in the space.

Being up in North Dakota, I was thinking same but opposite than the A/C - once I have lithium a small heater would let my wife tootle well into late fall and start early spring. Maybe something that does both if it comes in a small enough package. Wonder if junkyards have any yet from electric cars…

Oh, one question I was wondering - does anyone know how regen is actually configured on these from the factory? Looking at a few other forums, it appears that the sevcon can do both regren from a switch (when you press the brake) and regen just when you let off the gas (coast to a stop). Playing around a few nights ago, I suspect it regens when you let off the gas and not when you press the brake but can’t be sure. The manual of course is no help.