Ford Think Neighbor - Lights, Wipers, and Horn not working

I have a 2002 Ford Think Neighbor. Lights, Wipers, and Horn not working anymore they just stopped. Any advice on how to troubleshoot?

Check your dc/dc converters. You probably have two but a few only have one. If you have two they will be on opposite sides of the upper frame rail under the front hood. You won’t be able to see the second one but you can reach your hand around and feel it. Each one has four wires going to it. Two are orange, those are the battery pack voltage positive and negative so they should read around 72 volts. The other two are your 12 volts out positive and negative so you should have over 12 volts. If you have 72 volts going in and not over 12 volts coming out than your dc/dc converter is bad.

Thanks! Would it be this one? How do I check?

No- that yellow box with black fins is your charger.
Is there another little box mounted next to it where your arrow is pointing?

Is there anything up under this beam? (reach back there and feel around for a box with wires.)

This?

That looks like a good possibility. Someone may have replaced it at one time. Orange wires are inputs. It looks like there is a convenient plug you can test for that.

I can’t see wires coming out but I’m guessing there is a plug on those wires too.

Are turn signals working? I had an issue where nothing worked except flashers and brake lights. Turned out, it wasn’t my 72v/12v converter. It was the relays under the hood. So, I would check the relays, if you’ve checked the converter, like I did, and it is good.

1 Like

Yes that’s it. The two wires wrapped in orange tape is the 72 volts in. Usually there is one on the opposite side of that frame rail as well but I guess you only have the one. The ones I’ve seen with only one they are mounted on the outside instead of the inside. If it’s bad I would mount the new one on the outside just so it’s easier to access. I know The Turbo Dad on here bought a cheap aftermarket one that’s working for him. The stock ones are not cheap.

What does that run about?

Hey @Mrbig I’m having the same symptoms as you. I have hazard lights, brake lights but nothing else. Did you end up replacing the relays?

First thing check the voltage coming out of the dc/dc converter.

Just checked and I’m getting 12.2v from converter.

K- leave your meter on that test point and turn on your headlights.

Did it drop? Y/N
Move your black probe to the chassis and check again.

Check for 12v at your lights.

1 Like

Yes in my case it was the relays under the hood, as my converter tested good. I got them on amazon.

1 Like

I ended up unplugging the relays and swapping them around to see if that would make a difference. Everything works now so I’m guessing one of the connections on the relays was bad. Maybe some dirt/light corrosion.

1 Like

Hi
I think i have the same problem head lights don’t work
I checked the input it’s giving 77 volt can’t find the 12 volt output so I switched with the other dc converter the same thing (both are bad! )
Are the Sevcon are good one or it’s better to change for another brand ?
Any suggestions where to buy ?
Thanks
Aa

They are good as any. Ask @Erniea15 for link to surplus Sevcon converters.

I’ve bought a bunch from Seneca before. See here -

1 Like