EV advice for Highschool Student

Hi,

I’m an International Studies student nearing my final year of high school, and as a result, I need to produce a Personal Project. My idea is to create an electric vehicle, probably in the form of an electronically assisted recumbent Tricycle. However, being that I live in Québec, one of the most ev-unfriendly places in North America, most companies are situated across long distances. I’ve jumped from one idea to the other in terms of possible forms of EV transportation (Quadricycle, Bicycle, Car conversion) and I was hoping to know if anyone had any recommendations as to what companies I could obtain parts from or what form of vehicle to use. My budget is currently 1400 CAD and once I know exactly what I’ll be doing for the Personal Project, I’ll look into possible sponsors such as the EV club of BC or the manufacturers themselves.

As of now, the two most promising companies I’ve discovered in terms of a recument tricycle EV are ebikes (www.ebikes.ca) and Recument USA.

Hey, I’m glad to hear about your interest in EVs. I’m newly converted, and it took me about 5 years to finally make the plunge. Now I can’t believe I didn’t do it before.
Since mine is a car, I’m able to find plenty of deals from golf cart suppliers localy, even here in backwoods Texas. As far as a bike project goes, try www.evdeals.com , they have very good prices. I just bought my chargers from them. Good luck on your project and let us know how it goes.

I’m aware of quite a number of golf cart dealers in my area. How compatible/usable are golf cart parts in cars? I was thinking of using something like an early 90s Suzuki Swift.

[QUOTE=DeLorean_4;686]I’m aware of quite a number of golf cart dealers in my area. How compatible/usable are golf cart parts in cars? I was thinking of using something like an early 90s Suzuki Swift.[/QUOTE]

those are good cars to convert especially for short ranges (less batteries) because their chassis isn’t that strong (not made for holding a ton of weight)

but for your project i would take the swift and swap the golf cart components into it…

Great! I also found a classified ads website where I can buy used golf carts in my area.

[QUOTE=DeLorean_4;694]Great! I also found a classified ads website where I can buy used golf carts in my area.[/QUOTE]

thats what i was just about to suggest… maybe even craigs list?

I don’t think there are any relevant Craig’s List classified ads relevant to my area.

I’m much better off with www.lespac.com I even found an old Suzuki Swift with a broken engine :smiley:

[QUOTE=DeLorean_4;700]I don’t think there are any relevant Craig’s List classified ads relevant to my area.

I’m much better off with www.lespac.com I even found an old Suzuki Swift with a broken engine :D[/QUOTE]

thats a good start! if you have cutting/welding equiptment you should be good to go.

Cutting… no
Welding… I only have a torch

[QUOTE=DeLorean_4;703]Cutting… no
Welding… I only have a torch[/QUOTE]

lots and lots of JBweld :wink:

I’ve got a golf cart controller and golf cart batteries in mine. Speaking of which, 8v batteries are kind of silly. You can’t find them when you need them, and it’s harder to set up a cheap charger. Go with 6v or 12v’s when building your pack. That’s how I’ll do it next time.

What kind of performance and range can I expect from a Geo filled with Golf Cart components?

[QUOTE=DeLorean_4;736]What kind of performance and range can I expect from a Geo filled with Golf Cart components?[/QUOTE]
It always depends on how many batteries you can cram into it, and of course your other components too. Start with a budget and then see what you can afford. Generally a Geo sounds like a very good donor car.

Unfortunately, due to a lack of space, my Father won’t allow me to pursue this project. Instead I’ll probably make an electric recumbent tricycle much to my demise, even with all of the electric car documents and references I’ve accumulated.

Don’t be discouraged, none of that reading will be wasted. Doing a smaller project just means you can do a better quality one and finish it easier.

I am doing an electric motorcycle conversion. Electric Motorcycle
I got almost everything I need right at $2000 USD. I have compiled a complete list of parts so if I decide to do it again I have it all nailed down and wont have to do the hunting around I did this time. I have listed some parts different than what I used as I am learning a ton with this first project. The list I have made up is everything I will need to make another motorcycle not including a donor bike and it comes to almost $2100 USD. I am sure the price will change +/- a bit as I might use different batteries and things do go on sale and ebay is wonderful most of the time…

http://www.beepscom.com

Motor Perm-Motor PMG-132 12-72 VDC $895.00
6FT Cable Welding 4 Gauge - Black @$2.39/FT= $14.34
6FT Cable Welding 4 Gauge - Red @$2.39/FT= $14.34
Fuse ANL Holder $14.95
Fuse ANL 300 Amp $4.50
Controller Kelly PM 24-48 Volt Regen 400 amp $315.00
Throttle Magura 0-5K Twist Grip $39.95
2 Lug Magna Straight 4 GA 1/4" Hole @$1.55/EA= $3.10
4 Lug Magna Straight 4 GA 3/8" Hole @$1.55/EA= $6.20
6 Lug Magna Straight 4 GA 5/16" Hole @$1.55/EA= $9.30

http://www.evparts.com

DC2415 DC-DC Converter, 10 amp, 30-60 VDC in, for
nominal pack voltages of 36 & 48 volts, 11.8 to 12.2 VDC out,
non isolated $ 34.95

http://www.electricvehiclesusa.com

Emergency Push Button Switch $93.95
Rated 500 amps continuous,
5000 amps surge at 12 volts;
and 250 amps continuous, 2500 amps surge at 24 volts.
You should be able to run this switch up to
72 volts at 150 amps continuous.

http://www.applied.com

40 Chain, 15 Tooth, 0.75 in Bore, With Keyway and Setscrew $13.27
Part#: 40B15F3/4HT
Item#: 7671419

40 Single Strand Chain, 54 Teeth, A Style, Steel Sprocket $24.68
Part#: 40A54
Item#: 4475497

#40 Chain; 1 Strand; Riveted; Carbon Steel Material; 10 Foot Box $13.70
Part#: 40RIV
Item#: 8440007

Sub Total = $1498
shipping = $66
Total = $1564

• Donor Bike & Batteries & Charger

Wal-Mart
    115AH Deep cycle batteries $59.98/EA + $9.00core/EA= $275.92

http://www.kipoint.com.tw/

48V 20AMP ( 110V/220V Auto Switch ) Battery Charger $169.00 + $79.00S/H

Total = $2087.92

And please if anyone finds anything on my list cheaper or not correct please say so I will post it in my thread as well…

[QUOTE=caffeine;765]Don’t be discouraged, none of that reading will be wasted. Doing a smaller project just means you can do a better quality one and finish it easier.[/QUOTE]

i couldn’t have put it better my self!

worse comes to worse… you learn something from making a smaller version (as he said better quality) not to mention you can use more expensive parts and end up probably even at less cost than you would have been with just 1/2 the other components…

About the motorcycle: My father won’t even let me touch a moped from WWII that some of my American relatives have offered me. I could always try to ask him if I could convert it.

As for the electric vehicle project: I’m awaiting news of someone in California selling two recumbent tricycles for 650$ each.

For anyone looking for a donor pickup in eastern Canada: There’s a very clean and rust free wine-red over black Chevrolet S-15 pickup truck in Otterburn Park, Québec for sale at 500$ in need of a little brake and differential work. I know some of you are probably going to mention the fact that S15s are heavier than S10s, but it’s a pretty good choice for someone planning to use an AC layout requiring more batteries than DC which requires a bigger truck bed (or more careful planning).

It’s been ages since my last post, but all updates can be found on my forum: http://wattintheworld.phpbb24.com/index.php
I’m soon going to post a video of the bicycle during a test run (w/o front tire, and upside-down).

What do you think of using a Lada Samara as a future EV conversion candidate?

For future reference, how do you recommend I raise funds to do a conversion?