New here, need EV Conversion Company help

Hi, My name is Steve and I from New Jersey just about 5 min from Philadelphia. I am a Special Education Instructor at a Trade High School and assist in the Pre-Engineering Shop. I not only help the Special Ed Students but I interact with the regular Ed students. I have always been talented with the mechanics of cars and motorcycles and I LOVE being able to help the Pre-Engineering students learn mechanical engineering.

Anyway, a few sophomore students of mine started their senior project of creating an electric go-cart here is their WiKi WesTTechEV so this gave me the jump start to work with a few graduated and current seniors that have the same interest in EV’s. So one of my last year seniors and I purchased a 1990 Mazda Miata and we have removed the engine and trans. and are in the process of removing the gas tank (not easy).

We decided to make this a Demo Vehicle for a local conversion company. We would take in customers vehicle to be converted and convert it to EV. Though this may not happen for another year until we convert our first ‘customer’ car we have the ambition but alas not the start up money. We are committed to use the best quality parts for the customer for long term use and reliability. I have contacted AC Propulsion but they were not even interested in talking to me. I therefore will be piecing the parts together from research of what to use as far as Motor, Transmission, Batteries, AC, power Steering etc. A few of the seniors are experienced from our Electronics Shop so I am happy about their help and their possible permanent employment.

I understand that I have a lot of hurdles yet but here are my main stopping points and hopefully someone here can help me out. So here are a few things someone can help me with.

1. Government Grant, Tax Credit, or Loan for starting an EV Conversion Company…is there any available?

2. Motor Type - Siemens 1PV5135WS28 3 Phase Induction Motor
    Wanted to use AC Propulsion kit but may not happen they don’t deal with the common man.

3. Transmission - some say Auto is the way to go some say Auto won’t work. I believe that the trans fluid in an Auto needs to be pumping at all times to work. So I may need to buy a manual trans?

4. Batteries - Had my eye on Thunder Sky Batteries ThunderSky 160Ah

5. Marketing to convert customers ICE vehicle to EV. - A big hurdle if not the biggest.

What do you think? I know the controller isnt on there I am still looking but ideas are appreciated.

I will have more updates on the company progress…wish me LOTS of luck!

I am from Electric Blue Motors in Flagstaff, AZ. We converted a Mazda Miata for Elite Power Solutions (Thunder Sky Retailer). You can look and read up on the conversion at elite power solutions . com. We use a DC as our propulsion system, we have found that an AC conversion cost much more than the benefits gained. We are creating new products that will be useful in the conversion process. We offer a Dashboard Computer that will track the battery pack State of Charge, System Voltage/Current, and motor speed. We also carry an Air Conditioning unit, and heating system. You can check out these items on our website electric blue motors . com. If you have any questions you may throw them my way and I would be glad to help.

Email me.
Frank