EV advice for Highschool Student

[QUOTE=DeLorean_4;1387]For future reference, how do you recommend I raise funds to do a conversion?[/QUOTE]

for your self? or through some sort of society? school? what?

if its for your self… take on a side job or something to specifically fund it.

Individual, of course a side job is a given, I was wondering if any EV clubs gave out sponsorships of some kind, I think the EV club of BC or Vancouver does/did.

[QUOTE=DeLorean_4;1391]Individual, of course a side job is a given, I was wondering if any EV clubs gave out sponsorships of some kind, I think the EV club of BC or Vancouver does/did.[/QUOTE]

wow that would be nice… i wish the EV companys would give bigger discounts to the people doing this stuff so that the costs are lower making conversions happen more often making them mroe money by selling more.

The unfortunate thing about being here in Québec is that the government gives 0 incentive for electric car kits.

well, for funds, do some bartering.

In 1 week i put an ad on Craigslist and a guy contacted me and gave me a 1986 Honda VFR700F. It needed work, but it was complete.

2 weeks later I went to a local EV meeting, and within a few days, I was contacted by someone in Portland, OR building a controller. We agreed to barter a controller for some work. I work one or two weekdays a month, and a couple saturdays. We got a Pocket PC dashboard to work with their controller.

A few weeks after that, I figured the stuff needed for rebuild of bike 1 was adding up, so I found a bike in Florida for $400. Had it shipped here (675) and took it all apart. I made all my money back selling the engine, exhaust, radiator and other original engine parts. The bike is stripped down and awaiting a motor.

A couple months later, in Seattle, I found a guy off a listserve giving away a 1984 VFR chassis with no engine, a GE 24V motor (brand new) and 33 batteries (6 6V deep cycle T125’s, and 27 12V 18Ah batteries). 12 18Ah’s are going in my bike. 2 72V strings with a custom balancing charger. Theses smaller batteries are easier to move around and fit into this motorcycle.

During all this, I was in contact with Jim husted of Hi Torque Electric. He has been looking around for a Core motor for me, and recently found one. Its a Crown Forklift motor, 12" long 7" diameter 36/48V, but many of these can be run higher. He also said he had an interest in some side projects, so we’re bartering some help for some help.

So, I have 3 motorcycles for free, one small GE motor was free, Jim Husted’s motor will be very cheap, the batteries were free, my charger was only the cost of some relays, the controller will likely only be parts cost, but Kelly Controller is also another route I might take.

So far, I’ve only spent money on a book, and some parts for the first bike (fiberglass fairings).

i’m 75% trying to get a bike for commuting, and 25% trying to show people it can be done for FAR less, if you put your mind to it. With Determination and time, there’s no limit to what you can do if you put your mind to it.

http://blog.evfr.net
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1365

Travis Gintz

Wow! This is very helpful, thanks.

Have you heard of the ForkenSwift project? It seems alot like what you’re doing.

apart from the fact its not a car, yeah, pretty much the same thing :slight_smile:

i’m getting excited, i need a controller NOW… lol. I’m just parts away from putting it all together.