What to look for when buying an EV conversion

I saw an ad for an EV converted Miata that was missing a battery, but has a motor hooked up to the original 5 spd, a charger and controller. I don’t know too much about EVs in general, but thought it might be an interesting project, and might be easier since I’d be starting from something that was running and driving off of electric power before I bought it.The seller is not the person who did the conversion, so I’d be kind of on my own in figuring it.
I’m pretty good with cars in general, I own a miata so I’m more concerned about the EV aspect than anything else.
Is it against the rules to post a link to a kijiji article? I’ll wait and see and share it after.
My main question is, what are some common things to look for if I were to go check out the car?
-The car has no battery, is there any way to hook up a car-battery or something similar to get any sort of spin, or does the battery have to have a controller?
-If I can post a link, what would be a good price to offer him for it?
-I live in Ontario, has anybody else gotten a EV conversion safetied here before, is there extra hoops to go through?
I wouldn’t need too much range or power(to start), but I 'd like to be able to tow it to an autocross or put around town in it.
Sorry if this is a little vague, thanks in advance.

Ruuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnn

You need to get educated FIRST. Study and get some experience. Electric golf carts are a good starting place.

Rodney

1 Like