2017 Project Car

No, Grant is switching to 80 volts, and dci for his 12v suppies.

I don’t know why you have the added red wire. 12v is available on the firewall, drivers side under dash. 3 threaded stud terminal strip.
Constant and switched 12v + grd.

And no you can’t use that to trigger dci. No “12v switched” until triggered by white plug.
The key is the only place that I can find 12v from the key.

I knew -
@grantwest
M1 = U
M2 = V
M3 = W

Thanks, the Anvil transmission is backwards. I had to switch two phases.

Good news.
My 2018 kept quitting on me and I had to limp home. Dead battery! Stupid-stupid-stupid. :slight_smile:
Only the charger is run through the bms, as My per my usual method. Aha, a dci charger, when the bms opens the B- to DQ-dci charger, all the 12v goes dead. DOH !

But that’s a good thing. Battery went dead=everything off.

Bad news is that I hadn’t set up the bms yet. Default is 2.8v.
Whenever a cell dipped to 2.8 under load, car goes dead.
Wait for battery to bounce back to recover setting=car runs again.

I’ll set it up to 3v or 3.2v = good to go. Charging now.

Hey - like you always say - learn something new everyday. You just learned something.

Expensive lesson on a $3k Bolt battery. Not just one time. I tripped it 10 times before i checked battery.

Do as I say not as I do!

Should work for you when you connect a bt bms. I highly recommend it.

My phase wires from the controller To the motor are clearly marked at both ends And they match up with what Dave posted. Thanks for looking out made me go back & confirm what I had already done :slight_smile:

OK - I’m now the proud owner of a 2019 E2. How do I go about buying the upgrade kit to increase speed?

Well I’m happy to report my car is running are driving. Super Happy 48 mph and still feels like it’s got more to go :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any hills to contend with?
A transmission from Rodney will get you to 35mph if you don’t need the speed up hill.
Any electric mods lose warranty and dash. At this time.
Controller swap can get to 35mph.
The full Grant treatment will not be cheap.
80v
Supersize controller
8kw motor
Dci charger

Not yet diy, Grant or Mike can show what’s involved.
The second one should be easy.

My car is going 33 Mph up hills that it previously went 17-20 with 12:35 gears and big wheels. I don’t have the BMS hooked up to see amp/current draw.

1 Like

Well I’m all charged up. Got some things I need to finish.
#1 Install Shunt
#2 calibrate current
#3 mount BMS in a weather friendly location
#4 Make shield cable for BMS & Mount Dash display
#5 Figure out charge control relay.

I bought a USB dash mounted extension cable. Looks like a cigarette lighter, but it’s a dash mounted interface, so with a laptop I can plug into the controller and adjust settings from inside the cab and make adjustments on the fly

Waiting to see if speed is better with full battery or down hill.
It may be nearer 9000 than I thought. Let me know!

So in summary, either a 12.3 gear ratio transmission change OR a controller swap will get to 35MPH? However, a combination of both will result in speed increase to at least 48MPH - right?

What are the costs for each of the components you mentioned as being part of the “full Grant treatment”?

How can the manufacturer’s warranty for those newly purchased components be transferred to me as a secondary buyer?

If that’s not possible, can I directly buy the components and pay you a set sum for your advice and consultation in how to properly install them?

Steve if your Intrested in getting the car the full treatment let me know I can help you out.
Weather it’s Gears or High voltage 8k Motor and controller. If you have the $ and you do t mind spending it we ( Dave Mike to Myself make it happen.

I look forward to your help to upgrade my 2019 E2. I thought a good first step might include answers to the previous questions as a way to start a dialogue on how this will all come together? With these answers providing a clearer understanding of how that will be achieved - I’ll then be able to respond to your question of whether I’ll be willing the spend the $ towards that end. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got one - hold for the results !!! LOL

I’m interested as well. Add me to the list.

You would ship me your car and I would get all my parts from Dave. I would install and test everything, and when I’m satisfied your car is good to go I would ship it back to you. I have a shipper that hauls gems for me so getting it here and back is no problem.