2017 Project Car

With the 8KW motor rated for 3,090 RPM’s and maximum 72 volts, what are the long term implications with settings at 9,000 RPM’s on an 80V system?

With the addition of the “dci charger” as part of the conversion kit sent to Grant, does that mean the OEM Delta charger has to be replaced once the higher rated upgrade components are installed?

That is 3K per leg, there are three legs… 9K total

The DCI charger is just a DQ charger with a DC/DC conversion board built in, so yes it just replaces your current DQ charger and DC/DC converter.

Thanks Mike.

1. Any concern with the 72V vs. 80V differential over long term?
  2. Why the need to replace the existing OEM DQ DCI with yet another?

Yes, any failures will need to be addressed as they come up.
(48v versus 80v)

The voltage does not concern me - I have been running 98.6v for some time with no issues. We ran the stock DC motors at 100v for years with no issues.

@Inwo is the guy to answer your question on the DCI, the stock GEM wiring is a pain in the A**, my 16’ has no factory wiring harness so using a DCI is easy for me.

My 2000 conversion is almost complete. It is set up with 93.38v, S6 controller, 8.9-1 gear box, 195/40/17 tires. Will be ready to test run with @MikeKC here in two weeks. Curious on top speed and how it will do up hills. Will report results.

2 Likes

Wow that’s gonna be a 50+ Mph Gem!!
Report details

At 9K RPM that is a 70MPH car, I will not program that death trap :slight_smile:

Nice looking motor. Where would I get one of those?:grin::rofl:

That’s no death trap. Its a finely reengineered machine that has been superiorly improved from stock by myself and a retired aeronautical engineer/race car builder. What could go wrong? I do not like term “electronically limited” but there is no way I would drive it that fast and in all reality that’s the smart thing to do. What’s crazy is I do have three volunteers who want to. Thanks @MikeKC for all the help.

Stay tuned everyone for my posts in the next couple weeks of my front end swap project where I put a complete front end from a 2014 on my 2000.

1 Like

@Inwo I have a guy I can put you in contact with who has all the good stuff. PM me for details. :rofl:

Well things are moving forward. I can’t let Mike KC have all the Joy with his progress in his Tesla Powered 2017. I will report some good news.

I drilled out my motor coupler to accept the new 2017 transmission input shaft. Mike and Dave were nice enough to provide me with the tools and a “test input shaft” this way I know the motor is gonna slide right on the shaft. The “test shaft” was a awesome tool. Thanks

So with the motor good to go I turned my attention to removing the battery and installing the JST leads for the BMS. I’m happy to report the battery is balancing and ready to install back in the car

Because I was only using 15 of the cells for my 60v car. 5 cells were a bit lower then the rest of the pack. I decided to drain DOWN the 15 cells that were almost 2 volts higher then the rest of the pack with a 110v water Heater Element. Another one of Dave’s quick fix tools! (The element is submerged in water in the red bucket below the battery)

Here is the heater element hooked to ground and then clamped on to cell 15 to drain down 15 cells all together. When these 15 get to 3.6v to match the 5 other cells I’ll be ready to charge it all up as one 80v pack

2 Likes

Awesome Grant – great progress!

• How much reaming was needed for the coupler to fit?
  • It appears from the masking that the coupler is not detachable needing to be worked on while still attached to the motor?
  • Is the “new 2017 transmission input shaft” part of the upgrade kit from Rodney?
  • Is it just a matter of soldering the opposite lead ends of the BMS wires to each terminal post of the 10 cell PCB’s?
  • Do the two 10s packs readily separate from each other in the original Bolt battery module or do you need to cut them apart?

Getting after it

Stock Vs New

1 Like

I’m in like Flynn. (hey does anyone know what that reference means) i’m using it like I know what it means :slight_smile:

Is programming the only difference between the two DQ chargers?

[“In like Flynn” is a slang phrase meaning “having quickly or easily achieved a goal or gained access as desired”. In addition to
its general use, the phrase is sometimes used to describe success in sexual seduction, and its folk etymology often asserts the phrase has sexual origins.

Is it in “Like Flint” or in Like Flynn”?

It seems very much more likely that Errol Flynn is the Flynn in question and, although the phrase may
have been used before he was at the peak of his celebrity, it became well-known by association with him. The 1967 James Coburn starred in the film, In Like Flint.]

Sweeeeeeet Dude!!! Nice work

Tell Grant the correct order of the phase wires.
Did you know, or were you lucky. 50/50 chance.
My hood is on now.