2017 Project Car

Great News. For me 35 Mph is good 40-45 Mph would be awesome.

Great News. For me 35 Mph is good 40-45 Mph would be awesome. @grantwest

With your gears you will get 45mph - I am going to ping Rodney about 10:1 gears instead of 12:1 like you have, I want a little more terror!!!

This is where I’m at:

Grant:
With your 12.35 gear ratio upgrade have you been able to determine the KW per mile expended at 35MPH? Are you using the 6.5KW motor?

Bluetooth bms to right side.

I have Not figured out KW per mile. Sorry I ave plenty of range right now so it’s not a priority.
I do know that the bigger gears did suck lots more power as did the larger wheels.

Thanks for the response Grant and glad to hear about your improved range.

What’s your motor size?

@grantwest is running the oem motor. My E2 had a 5kw motor.
He has an 8kw motor sitting on the floor.

Testing shows that I can run 35mph using oem 17:1 gears. Might push it to 40. Limiting factor is encoder signal to controller.

Message Grant to follow his next conversion to 80v and 8kw motor.
Parts are available as a kit from him as soon as his 80v Gem is functional.
He has some interest in doing high speed, high power, long range conversions on 2016+ Gems.

I will also soon have a 100v - 8KW motor in a 16’ GEM up and running with in a few weeks. However mine is completely custom when it comes to wiring. My car did not come with the factory wiring harness. At first I though this was going to a major issue, but as I work thru it it appears that not having the harness might turn out of be much easier.

I agree. Motor wise easier, although the lighting wiring would be nice to have.

Just came back from a ride.
My new 2018 E2 runs perfectly at 80v and 35mph. No chance it’s ever going back to stock.
I can’t wait to do another one.
Or for you and Grant to post results,

Grant: Interested in the kit that Inwo mentioned. Please let me know the detail upon you offering it for sale. Will all the kit items be new?

Grant has his only partially complete. (battery and gears) I run 35mph without gear change. Gears may bring it to 50mph which may not be safe.
Battery will be a late model pull. The rest is new.
Remember the price discussed earlier is only the battery.
With motor, controller, gears, charger, labor, it could be 3 x that.

Dave is correct my Car sits at a Almost Stock configuration. It’s 100% stock except for these mods listed below.

These are my mods so far:
#1 Bolt Battery pack 20 cell (I’m currently only running 15 cells of the 20 I have) Pack runs 61.5v
#2 reprogrammed STOCK 48v delta Q (re programmed charger for higher voltages)
#3 12:35 Transmission (with noise isolation kit)
#4 taller wheels/tires 17inch

My car runs 35-36 MPH “on the flats” (20 Or slower on the hills)

This was stage 1 of testing. I don’t think I gonna get any more speed or performance out of this car I have (I think reached the limit for a 48v car)

Dave and Mike have been doing all the leg work to make the 8k S4 or S6 controller and high voltage cars a reality. Now that Dave as once again paved the way, I will convert my car to 80v 8k

1 Like

Let’s do this!

Dave: what’s your battery pack configuration?

20s Chevy Bolt. 80v 160ah 12kwh.

We just came back from a ride. Wife driving and now wife approved. :slight_smile:

Grant’s kit is in the mail.

What Grant’s kit comprised of?

Gear ratios available are 12.3 and 9,3. 12.44 and 10.35 were Dana/Schafer ratios for Classic Carts

He has 12kwh battery, 8kw motor, and 550a 80v controller.
I’m sending a dci charger, bms-24t, throttle harness, switch harness, and programming kit.
He also has a transmission from Rodney that gives him 35mph.

He also has a transmission from Rodney that gives him 35mph.

When Grant gets his 8K motor and controller in, that 35 WILL turn into 50mph. As he will be able to turn 9K RPM vs. the 5K RPM from the stock motor and controller.