2016 e4 - Build Plan?

So with the box you are just a little too big.
I measure 13" almost 14" from the back firewall to the shock. (depth)
I measure 14" from the frame to the top off the compartment (height)
I measure 41" across in front of the shocks, this will get you really close to the tires, 39" will fit but it’s tight. (width)

It will fit without the box then. But a shame to tear it down.
I’m building a 20s from two 23s this weekend. Starting at least. It still takes a good week to finish.
I ordered a couple 32 x 15 x 7 boxes. The way it looks now 20s will either not fit, or shoehorn in with terminals sticking out the end.
The way I understand it, 32" fits across frame between the shocks.

I could still order the steel box linked to above.

This is link so I don’t lose it.
https://www.wayfair.com/Montezuma--11-H-x-36-W-x-14-D-Unity-Storage-Box-MKDB36B-L3253-K~ZUMA1120.html?refid=MX79027543763490-ZUMA1120&device=c&ptid=4582627041292261&targetid=pla-4582627041292261&channel=BingPLA&network=o&msclkid=f525bd37b5de189f77dadd4cf806b8e6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WF.P.US.G.Housewares%20(SCA)&utm_term=4582627041292261&utm_content=49_3253_1~[GLOBAL]%20Storage%20and%20Org%20-%20[Garage%20Storage]%20Storage%20Cabinets

Or aluminum tool box.

Worst case, I’m back to cutting into the firewall. Either way,I’ll buy one of these awesome batteries from Dave.

Got a gfi question… The onboard charger would trip the gfi on any outlet when plugged in. The cord that came with the car had a gfi on it and it would trip as soon as plugged in. If I took a regular extension cord and plugged into an GFI protected outlet, that tripped. I just figured something was wired screwy and it was going to the dealer so let them look at it. Spoke to them yesterday to get an update, they said the charger works fine without GFI protection… So their answer is to just use a circuit without a GFI. Is that a legit answer or should I push back?

I mean, some of this is moot since I’m going to rip out the 48v charger anyway. I was just hoping to have a known good so I could either sell it, give it away, or store it until I sell the car in the very distance future.

I plug mine directly to a non GFI outlet and with a heavy duty extension cord from Walmart

After careful measurements the 32 inch long boxes coming in Monday are an inch short.
The box was my idea. You can use the battery without the box and it will fit.
These boxes make good cases but are only rated to hold 50lb. I might be able to return them. Only $100.
Ordered this heavy duty one from same company.

: Stacking Container Outside Length : 33 in
Outside Width : 15 5/8 in Type : Stacking Container
Outside Height : 8 in Color : White
Load Capacity : 400 lb Volume Capacity : 2.1 cu ft
Material : Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic Inside Length : 30 3/4 in
Inside Width : 15 in Inside Height : 7 7/8 in
Storage Container Style : Solid Walls, Solid Bottom Package Quantity : 1
Country of Origin (subject to change) : United States

Z5FKDwfo5oy.jpeg

On the GFI issue-
If you have a way of measuring current(amps) take a reading on the Common side and then the GND leg. It sounds like there may be some leaking back through the green wire. It doesn’t take much to trip a GFI.

But if ALL the current is coming back through the GND then someone got some wires crossed somewhere.

What do you know… 5 months later, BMS #2 just turned up back in San Diego. It was rejected by Chinese customs “Importation Forbidden by the Customs”. This might be a case of cutting my loses and moving on.

1 Like

Jason is very responsive but I’m done with chargery, I now have a nice Power supply,

If you still want to go with chargery I have one Brand new BMS left for sale

1 Like

Yeah, I think I’m there as well. I’m putting one in my buddies 2002 with volt batteries. The current reading is off saying there is a 1amp charge… and the charger is unplugged. The calibrate doesn’t seem to work either. I put in a known good and that was reading right so it’s not the car. Trying to resolve with Jason.

Now that Dave is out of the chargery game, there’s no one to service them locally… So it cost $70 to ship to china and who knows if it will get there or not. In my case, it came back and Jason just said to send it again.

For the build in this thread (2016), I’m going to go with whatever dave suggests. I’m want to play around with other brands too with other future builds. Always open to suggestions! You had some good ones in the beginning I’ve been reading about

Another week with good progress.
New 33" fiberglass box for 20s Tesla3.

3 Likes

Nice Dave!! Are you using the same battery pack as before or this is a new one?

This is new, and will be a “one off”, being it’s 20s.
Two Tesla modules were harmed in making this one. :slight_smile:
23s modules were split on opposite ends 10:12 giving me 2 10s and 2 12s. One brick being lost in the process.
All the buffer (dead) cells were removed to shorten enough. This is very risky business.
Series connection folded back, and main B+ and B- cut off and redone, for the same reason.
When the box came in I was still 1/8" too long. Judicious grinding and no small amount of cursing, allowed what you see.

2 Likes

Damn I’ve seen removing the cells are also a pain but it looks Awesome.

Who’s gonna be the first to test The Range of this beast???

@Erniea15 has dibs. It was built for him. I may have priced him out out of the running with an extra few weeks work and the battery box fiasco. :slight_smile:
Also still have the longer complete 21s one, and the 2 extra 12s modules.
@MikeKC may stop in to see how it’s done and I have one complete 25s left.

2 Likes

Yea, Thinking about the trip - I have a 25s full module as well that may need cut down.
We are measuring a 2008 E6 today to see if we can fit it without cutting down.

Also looking to see if a split 24s will fit in a classic E4.

3 Likes

We’ll see… Not scared yet! I’m pretty excited to put together my 2016 and get that dialed in right. This should be the perfect battery. I’m pumped

1 Like

Ready to ship if it fits.
image MVC-014F

My gem is still sitting at the dealer… apparently parts are taking FOREVER to come in. I can’t imagine the measurements between @MikeKC’s 2016 and my 2016 would be all that different. Now to figure out how to ship. pallet and Uship?

Should be identical - I will remeasure for you tonight.

2 Likes