Look what just landed in my driveway picked it up from a dealer in st Louis. Bad part is that it was probably outside more than I would have liked and there are some issues to work through. Plus side, since I’m the first owner, warranty started when I bought it so I shipped it off to the local dealer to fix all the little stuff under the warranty
I’m upgrading a 2000 4 seater that I probably dumped way more money into it than I should have. The proof of concept worked and that we found we loved having a GEM and would for the long term. Now it’s time to go all out and build my 10 year GEM.
Couple of requirements for my usage
- 25 mph obviously won’t do. Would like to top out in the 45-50 range.
- normal round trips are usually 15 miles with hills Aspirationally, would be cool if I could drive it to the beach 20miles away and use locally 10 miles before charging. Would be even cooler if I could make it there and back without charging 40-60 range (not sure how realistic but one can dream)
- in my normal day to day usage, I have a pretty steep and long hill I have to get up and over to get anywhere. My current 12.x gearbox and 5kw motor in my 2000 works awesome.
Right now the thing is stock… so the question is, what should I do with it? Performance first…then I’ll mess with cosmetics.
Initial thought is
- 8kw AC motor
- Sevcon gen4 medium controller
- obviously lithium - bolt or telsa? (Eyeing Dave’s split battery if it will fit)
- BMS for sure. I only have experience with chargery. I’ve had mixed results… I’m on my third one in my 2000 and 3rd time seems to be the magic number. Not sure what other options are out there that are good
- charger? DeltaQ?
- gearbox - no idea here… need some help and I’ve read some discussion on noise dampening. Open to advice. Pretty sure the answer involves Rodney somehow.
- anything to be aware of for dç-to-dc conversion?
Will be somewhat of a slow thread as I promised the wife I’d get my old one sold and a couple of other project GEMs/golf cart out of the garage before messing with the new one. No reason I can’t start planning it out and sourcing parts right??
Thank you in advance for the advice!! Will post as I go in case anyone’s interested…