Front mount battery in early Gem

Hello Sir,
What is the best way to contact you for purchasing a battery pack for my 2000 GEM e825?
I have the Schott charger. Please let me know if that charger will need to be replaced.
Thank you,
Dan

First you need to see what fits. Are you near any forum members for assistance?
I have a front mount battery solution for early Gems but not a drop-in kit.
Charger will work ok.
21s sdi tote
Can you make this fit in back? Standard size and ready to ship.

Payson is about 6.5 hrs from me.
Not exactly close…

14 hours for me.

The front compartment setup for 00-04 with all batteries boxed and over the front wheels is pretty slick. I don’t know if it’s ready yet, I test fitted the boxes into the battery tray and the hood closes normally. Sent the boxes back to Dave along with the tray from my 02.

My batting average with schott chargers is 0.0 I’ve actually never seen one that works. Anyone’s gem out here that I looked at where it has one, it was dead .

What a unfortunate name for a charger.
Just like how the Chevy Nova means “It won’t go” in Spanish.

1 Like

Der Schott is shott, what a schotty situation. Well schoott.

Pass the liverwurst.

Hello, I have the flatbed truck version and may be able to install under the bed. I’m fairly handy and can probably handle the install with direction. I’m not opposed to a new charger if needed to avoid issues in the future. Please let me know how to proceed. Thx, Dan

$2750 delivered for the tote battery. Worry about charger later, yours may work.
PayPal friends and family or 4% fees barbjb@acegroup.cc
Zelle
Venmo @Dave-Bissen
Ready to ship today.
tnx
Dave

Tons of room under the bed between the rails on the longbacks. You might have to make a shelf with some brackets and marine plywood or heavy plastic for the pack. You can fit a 5’ long pack easily under the longbeds.

If you go that route, you will need to either leave a disconnected battery or two up front or a couple of cinderblocks. If not, you won’t be able to steer well and the ride quality will get even worse (I know, hard to imagine it could get worse, but yeah, it can)

···

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 10:24 AM Eingarrett via Electric Forum <notifications@electricforum.discoursemail.com> wrote:

| Eingarrett
March 29 |

• | - |

Hello, I have the flatbed truck version and may be able to install under the bed. I’m fairly handy and can probably handle the install with direction. I’m not opposed to a new charger if needed to avoid issues in the future. Please let me know how to proceed. Thx, Dan

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond to Inwo, AssyRequired, Eingarrett.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Thank you for that information, good to know. I’ve thought of finding a less sprung shock for the front end. I wonder if a “soft” shock would allow for the front end and tires to ride and drive well with no weight up front. Your thoughts? Thx

Some of the other guys here have messed around with alternative shocks, search for “air shocks” . I think some might have used ones off a Honda Gold Wing ? Should be a few threads on it.

The biggest problem is the suspension geometry is horrible. so it might munch your tires pretty quick.

Thank you,
Is the pictured battery pack a “front mount battery solution for an early GEM”?
I know I can mount your pictured pack in the back but I’d prefer a front mount solution to keep the weight over the front end.
If others have mounted it in the front I’ll certainly give it a try.
Thank you for clarification.
Dan

Yes, it is tested to fit, but so far it’s a diy solution.
I can put you in touch with someone who built his own boxes.
I have since font boxes to fit. As per testing by @JarJarJava

12 cell amazon box

Diy so much less money too.
Need two boxes from Amazon.
Cells are $100 each. Need 20, 21, 22, 23, or 24. No need going to 24s as car will not run at 99 volts.
20s is standard voltage 73v. Each cell adds 3.65 volts. Maximum charge voltage is cell# x 4.15 volts.
All batteries connect in series with supplied hardware. (cu. straps)
Bms is $250.
That’s it. Lots of support on forum.

A pair of the boxes Dave has will fit in the existing plastic battery tray on their side. Hinge down, because of the lip in the tray, it will not strike bottom and will balance upright. Fitment confirmed with a 2002 e825 long back truck (Dec 27 2002 build) with hood even closing properly.

If you can live without the windshield wiper motor, the fit would be super clean, but still works even with it in place.

···

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022, 14:31 Inwo via Electric Forum <notifications@electricforum.discoursemail.com> wrote:

| Inwo
March 29 |

• | - |

Yes, it is tested to fit, but so far it’s a diy solution.
I can put you in touch with someone who built his own boxes.
I have since font boxes to fit. As per testing by @JarJarJava

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond to Inwo, AssyRequired, Eingarrett.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Thank you both, that looks like a good solution for me. I’ll get with Dave about purchasing the two front boxes, batteries and BMS.

@AssyRequired @JarJarJava
Do you think this can be DIY?
I would build it here, but it needs to have interconnections between the two boxes, which would be hard to ship.

They must have raised the price. I don’t remember paying this much. :slight_smile: Well worth it though.

No sense me shipping you mine.