Front mount battery in early Gem

I’ve been eyeing that second hole that looks like the wiper motor could move over. In current orientation the motor looks like it begins to conflict with the brake reservoir but it might be rotated a bit and locked in another orientation? (horizontal?)

They say the camera can put 20lbs on you …

···

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022, 18:29 AssyRequired via Electric Forum <notifications@electricforum.discoursemail.com> wrote:

| AssyRequired
March 30 |

• | - |

I’ve been eyeing that second hole that looks like the wiper motor could move over. In current orientation the motor looks like it begins to conflict with the brake reservoir but it might be rotated a bit and locked in another orientation? (horizontal?)

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond to Inwo, AssyRequired, Eingarrett.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Oh ■■■■, you meant if the motor was moved to the outboard hole, the motor would impinge on the brake mc. Lol.

Yes, it probably would.

So that arm is an adjustable. Length and angle. That’s like a 19’ or 20’ blade because I was able to rotate and center it. So it might work with a smaller blade and some angles and the relocated motor.

When I go to pull the wiper motor I can check some spacing

···

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022, 19:39 adam cooperman <ascooperman@gmail.com> wrote:

They say the camera can put 20lbs on you …

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022, 18:29 AssyRequired via Electric Forum <notifications@electricforum.discoursemail.com> wrote:

| AssyRequired
March 30 |

• | - |

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond to Inwo, AssyRequired, Eingarrett.

Just thinking about clearing a path if it makes for a cleaner install.
It also looks like the dash needs to be trimmed if that wiper is moving over.

I’ll take a look at mine tomorrow (just for the exercise). My motor also has a tab coming off the bottom of the motor to keep it from rotating around willy-nilly. That will need to be modded.

But this is going beyond the scope of the original “Drop in” plan intended for the average Gem Owner/cruiser.

I understand and appreciate the additional information. I’ll take a good look at it all once I get closer to the install. You guys are great. Thx again.

New member Alan @Deeer is looking for batteries, early Gem.
I invited him here, rather than explain the diy option. Maybe work together on this.

This wiper motor has the angle brace at the end too, just can’t see it in the photos.

I can test it in the other spot at some point, the dash on this truck is going in the trash eventually, so cutting it up a bit more isn’t a big deal

I am mentally wrestling with how/best way to do wiring on this.

• Will the BMS fit in one of the cases and be OK? (heat buildup)
  • Can the 11 of the balance leads be split off and have an easy disconnect plug going to the other battery?
  • Is that going to drive the BMS balance calibration nuts?
  • External lugs in the sides or top for suitcase interconnect? (disconnecting a main jumper without disconnecting a balance jumper might not be good for the BMS.)

Michael (LG) did stuff a bms in a water tight equipment / gun case with 15 SDI batteries and ran around with his foot planted in south Florida to test it and didn’t cook the BMS. Although long term use could be different.

Dave and I talked about if a watertight (screw in) 12 pin DIN fitting could be used with an external cable.

···

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022, 08:11 AssyRequired via Electric Forum <notifications@electricforum.discoursemail.com> wrote:

| AssyRequired
March 30 |

• | - |

I am mentally wrestling with how/best way to do wiring on this.

• Will the BMS fit in one of the cases and be OK? (heat buildup)
  • Can the 11 of the balance leads be split off and have an easy disconnect plug going to the other battery?
  • Is that going to drive the BMS balance calibration nuts?
  • External lugs in the sides or top for suitcase interconnect? (disconnecting a main jumper without disconnecting a balance jumper might not be good for the BMS.)

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond to Inwo, AssyRequired, Eingarrett, Deeer.

I’ll put something together when I get boxes back.

A buddy of mine that does race cars does all that stuff with Deutsch bulkhead connectors.
Should I ask to see if he has any ~ 12 pin handy for a sample?

I don’t think I need it for mine.

Regarding box to box connections.
I was thinking a cable from box to box, drilled hole with water tight fittings.
Please let me know any concerns. Thx

Dave, do I owe you more money? Thx

Up to you, I guessed wrong. :frowning:

I’m thinking boxes back to back. Fastened together. Put them in, one piece. Heavy but worth it.

I’ll show you when my boxes are back and you can show me where to put the output cables. Side I hope. one back and one front.

Regarding boxes and connections. If I’m thinking right … one cable in from vehicle, one cable out to vehicle, one cable between boxes.

I’ll Venmo you the balance. Thx

1 Like

Yes, plus a small wire from each cell to bms. Bms can go in either box or outside.
I will build one here with you.
Bms is terminated and balance wires numbered to make it easy for you.

Got the boxes.
Pictures to follow.
Seems back to back, one piece is the way to go.
Only question is where to bring battery leads out.

00-04 stock battery connections / cables are on the passenger side

···

On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 8:24 AM Inwo via Electric Forum <notifications@electricforum.discoursemail.com> wrote:

| Inwo
April 4 |

• | - |

Got the boxes.
Pictures to follow.
Seems back to back, one piece is the way to go.
Only question is where to bring battery leads out.

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond to Inwo, AssyRequired, Eingarrett, Deeer.

Leaf up-front
Here is a competing design.