Front mount battery in early Gem

Two ways. Require shifting alignment slightly.

Shifting forward may clear the wiper motor?
I see now, I’m backwards. Lower tray is to the front.

It would not take much to clear the wiper motor. 1/2-3/4" would probably do it
The top photo might work if the boxes dont bump into the hood.

Bottom one should clear everything IF the wiper motor is removed.

Two solutions.
Top is perpendicular to tray bottom.

Bottom is perpendicular to flange.

Top photo has best chance of hood closing?
3rd solution is a 2" space between front and back.
Maybe wait for @Eingarrett to verify.
I would like to start building a sample. I may start loading batteries without drilling boxes.

Perpendicular to tray bottom is a good compromise?

That was how I tested the boxes. It is the ideal fitment actually.

Easy peasy if it fits in car.
My usual 1/2" spacers and thin Tesla foam on bottom. Right side in picture.
12 cells in back box.

Thank you,
Perpendicular to tray bottom looks best to me.
One way or another I’ll make it fit.
Yes, my cables are on the pasenger side.
But again I can run cables to wherever it makes the best application.
As always, thank you all for the good imput.

There is a very high likelihood it will just drop into place. The test subject was an 02, but, in theory, everything from 00 through 04 should be the same aside from the expected variations in assembly that occur when every vehicle produced at the time was all hand fitted and hand assembled. This could could cause 1/8" or so variations.

Best to leave all the cabling on the passenger side as drivers side the master cylinder is fairly close to the aft box, which might restrict access to work on it.

I will continue later with details and wiring.

With 1/2" spacer around the batteries drill holes for wires near corner.

Cable comes from B+ on he 10cell/bms box.

I’ll go ahead and order the two battery boxes today. Thx

12s side is complete except cover closing. Looking for the correct spacer to hold cells in place.
Usual 1/2" foam board is very close. It may settle in or I may need to relieve foam a bit more, where studs are located.

Switched the 1/2" foam in cover to two layers of coroplast. Much better fit.
I think the whole thing can be built with coroplast. I got mine at a good price in nice size on FB. Let me see if he has more.

Batteries arrived, boxes expected on Friday, will start wiring this weekend. I’m not familiar with coroplast but will look it up. What should I know about purchasing coroplast? Thx

It’s plastic cardboard. Light weight and strong yet flexible. Makes good spacers. I would order some from the link.

Hi Dave, please forgive my wiring ignorance. I see the black wires coming out of the battery box from the BMS. Is that the negative side of the battery pack? If yes, where do I make the positive side connection? Thank you, Dan