Why not battery CHANGING stations?

What would it take to have car makers use a standard form factor battery so that batteries be changed instead of recharged?

…wouldn’t that solve the distance problem of Electric Vehicles?

I thought about that. But the business model needs to change.

You invest (by leasing or buying) a $10,000 battery.

You get to your nearest changing station. And swap it for a 10 year old battery?

Not like a propane tank.

[QUOTE=n0g4sh3r3;11207]I thought about that. But the business model needs to change.

You invest (by leasing or buying) a $10,000 battery.

You get to your nearest changing station. And swap it for a 10 year old battery?

Not like a propane tank.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking more like swapping it for a freshly charged battery. So each battery is used till it is depleted, switch for a freshly charged one while the depleted one is recharged and prepared for the next customer. I know, it may sound ridiculous for now, but I believe in anything is possible :D.

Again, this is provided that every car manufacturer agree on battery standards first (standards like AA, AAA, D, etc.). This would definitely be more environmentally friendly too, unlike mobile phones each having different battery sizes, chargers, etc.

Looking at the current progress, seems like fast charging is catching on.

It would be funny to see car ads with the fine print *batteries not included :smiley:

That’s precisely what I thought you meant …

My emphasis is on … it may be freshly charged … but the age of the battery and condition and so forth.

Your concept would work only if others had equity in all batteries.

Personally I think battery switching is the only way that makes real sense … other than 5 minute recharges. But, at least today, that equipment seems cost prohibitive impossible to find.

Not even my dealer has it. heck, I am not sure I know what it even looks like …

Is the one on the right in this photo a DC charger?

Just to sound negative, I have to say I (personally) do not believe battery swapping could work.

Most people do not take care of their possessions to the extent that I believe I do. I am not willing to swap a pristine load-balanced battery pack for a 4th rate abused pack that the next swap station will refuse to take in as swap because it is past its service life.

Sorry. EV owner since 2002 votes ‘no’ on battery swapping in the real world. (oh, theoretically! I’m all for it theoretically).

I think this is where the idea of leasing batteries comes into play because as long as the replacement battery gets you from A to B for a specific payment per month then it does not matter if you have just bought a new battery and you were concerned about it being replaced with an old one. There is more and more mention of battery swapping stations as a potential short-term fix while the number of electric car charging stations increases.