What electric vehicle are you currently driving or looking to buy?

Thanks for your note. I am a retired engineer and pretty handy. But after reading as much info on the GEM I can, I’m a bit concerned about such an early model. It will be used in an RV resort area with occasional trips of one half to 3/4 of a mile to the golf course, and of course be used as the golf cart. I will be looking at it today and can examine the vin and verify the year. Batts are 2 years old. Also I am concerned about finding parts for that year model. Looking at gemcarpartsdirect I only see 2002 as the oldest year model. The alternate purchase we are considering is the more conventional club car electric.

Hello all,

I have been investigating the Nissan Leaf but may wait until the Chevy Bolt arrives. Brother has a Tesla. Loves it. But it’s to pricey for me. My tentative plan is to lease something for 3 years and then see what’s available. Maybe the Tesla 3 at that time.

Definitely a Tesla. I don’t understand why other electric cars are so ugly comparatively.

[quote=Editor;14487]We have new members joining the forum everyday and it would be interesting to get a snapshot of what vehicles you are currently driving and/or considering buying in the future. There are so many different options available today that it is sometimes difficult to know where to start. If we can highlight a couple of the more popular models on this thread, it may give members food for thought.

So, what kind of EV are you currently driving or looking to buy?[/quote]
I’ve got a place in line for the Canadian Electra Meccanica Solo. It should be arriving at my house in Q3 2017.

I own a 2013 Chevy Volt and love it

[quote=michics;32390]Hello all,

I have been investigating the Nissan Leaf but may wait until the Chevy Bolt arrives. Brother has a Tesla. Loves it. But it’s to pricey for me. My tentative plan is to lease something for 3 years and then see what’s available. Maybe the Tesla 3 at that time.[/quote]

I think the price of a used Tesla S will radically come down when the Tesla 3 gets into production. It would become a choice between a 4 year old Tesla S and a brand new Tesla 3, so you can imagine what will happen to the prices of used Tesla S.

Russ

Driving a 2014 Tesla model S and a 2003 Lexus SC430 (2 car household). Love both cars. Service for the Tesla second to none, no issue is too trivial for their service center to address. Considering what to replace the 13 year old Lexus with. Am strongly considering the Tesla model 3, but there are a lot of other electric cars out there to consider. Don’t want to pay the high price of a Tesla model X.

Current electric transportation is 2009 GEM E4 and 18’ Duffy electric boat.

Looking at buying a 2001/2002 GEM eS, but as the whole NEV thing is currently on hold here in Canada, I am holding off until it passes the government hoops. Hopefully in the spring they will go ahead.

Russ

I am presently looking at a 2001 GEM utility vehicle (48 inch bed). They are asking $2500. It most likely needs new batteries. What questions should I be asking? What issues have been tied to the 2001 models? Thanks for any advice/wise counsel.

[quote=Editor;14487]We have new members joining the forum everyday and it would be interesting to get a snapshot of what vehicles you are currently driving and/or considering buying in the future. There are so many different options available today that it is sometimes difficult to know where to start. If we can highlight a couple of the more popular models on this thread, it may give members food for thought.

So, what kind of EV are you currently driving or looking to buy?[/quote]

2014 Polaris Gem E2 with Hard Doors and upgraded 7hp motor, 2001 E4 with hard doors and ride-4-fun motor

The electric bike fever is greater and beyond anyone’s imagination. The rising interest in bikes has brought about giving the people what they need greater accessibility. Electric bikes have been a longstanding agreeable item for kids, however other, progressed models are likewise speaking to adults. If you are interested to buy an electric scooter visit our website. We provide tips that are useful when you buy it.

2016 Tesla Model S
2018 Tesla Model 3
2016 GEM E4 with Tesla battery and AC conversion.

Seeing a trend here??? LOL

just sold my 2014 Club Car Precedent (lifted) complete rebuild, beach version. on order 2022 GEM e4 w/9 options, gloss green. plus gear set for 35 mph.

I am looking into a Club Car Village 2+2 LSV right now and still deciding.

7 years ago I bought a 94 ezgo that had been lifted with a utility bed for use on 33ac ranch
The stock controller & motor were not up to several of the hills, which I solved by adding some switch backs to the problematic climbs :open_mouth:
After a couple of years, the curtis controller gave up
I replaced with an alltrax & a 7hp motor
The hills are no longer an issue, until the tire spins [a posi trac rear end would be handy]
The ezgo has been wonderful for fixing fences, cutting fire wood & gathering up horses

We retired more fully & moved to a condo downtown
My wife refused to drive our Outback, as parking & navigating the close quarters of the parking garage
I started looking for a small electric with doors
Not having an outlet handy, I had one installed…
Once that was complete, I started looking for a GEM, the question of service came up
The Local GEM dealer took some time to reply as the salesman in charge was out sick for some weeks
The local Cart Barn, said they would work on it, but only if they purchased the parts
Reno Forklift [GEM dealer] has since reached out, the service department is working up a quote on a lithium conversion, adding a rear bumper with receiver & shorter gears to improve the range

I took a chance & bought a 2013 GEM e2ES with 6500 miles & new agm batteries from NAPA
Other than some seals & weatherstripping that needs to be reattached, all is good

I have been buying groceries on my Piaggio MP3 for a couple of years
I sold the Outback, which only got used to chauffeur my wife & pick up pizza a couple of times a month
All in on the GEM
I’ll take a cab or rent a car should we need to go further…

The front wheel drive might be an issue on the steep dirt roads. Hopefully there is not going to be much in your trailer.

Be careful if a dealer says they will install a lithium package. Do your research and make sure you know what they are installing. All Lithium is NOT the the same.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ll see much dirt in the gem, the crosswalk paint is slippery when wet :smiley:
My thought is to use the receiver, for a wheel chock attachment, for my 150 Piaggio scooter [selling the 3 wheeler], most of the weight is on the back wheel of the scooter.
This would allow me to drop off either vehicle for service
I might be better off bolting the chock to the bed directly

The more I read the more likely I’ll do the battery conversion myself with a helper
As far as I can tell the batteries sealed wet/flooded
I have a reasonable range of a bit under 15 miles [50% charge] with temps in the 30’s, I’ll put some cycles on these batteries