Buying a Used Gem e4

Hello All,

I am buying a used 2005 Gem e4 with 3K miles. Is there anything I need to ask / check? I assume battery age replacement is a key question.

Thanks
Chuck

Battery age/condition is a major factor in determining how much to pay. Also check the rubber suspension bushings for wear. On 2005 and newer, there should be 12 of these.

Daniel

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;13875]Battery age/condition is a major factor in determining how much to pay. Also check the rubber suspension bushings for wear. On 2005 and newer, there should be 12 of these.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply Daniel

The asking price is $5400 for a southern car that has the hard door option. lets assume the batteries are 7 years old and needs to be replaced for 1200-1400. is this still a good price? seems to be in nice shape.

FYI, need to verify. I assume the battery dates should be stamped /printe don the abtteries. How hard is this to check?

Quoted" 2012 batteries "

$5,400 sounds a bit high. It is unlikely that GEM batteries would ever last 7 years. Are you able to test drive the GEM? A big factor with buying an NEV is how far away the vehicle is. I would offer $5,000 for a GEM with hard doors in very good condition only if the batteries were new or nearly new. Otherwise, $5,400 + $1,400 for batteries makes for $6,800 for an 8 year old GEM.

Daniel

I agree. It sounds like it is priced a bit to high. If they will not deal with you on it and your in no hurry, I would keep checking around. Craigslist and e-bay are good places to look for local models for sale.

[QUOTE=LuvMyTJ;13902]I agree. It sounds like it is priced a bit to high. If they will not deal with you on it and your in no hurry, I would keep checking around. Craigslist and e-bay are good places to look for local models for sale.[/QUOTE]

Hello All

the price is now $5200. The batteries were replaced with the stock Gel batteries 6 months ago. If it looks clean and well maintained as advertised, I Would consider buying it

Batteries

E31-SLDG-ST

make sure the VIN is for an '05 and that there is a clear title

[QUOTE=chuckneste;13905]Hello All

the price is now $5200. The batteries were replaced with the stock Gel batteries 6 months ago. If it looks clean and well maintained as advertised, I Would consider buying it

Batteries

E31-SLDG-ST[/QUOTE]

Sounding better. :nod:
Any pics? Wheel size? Options?

[QUOTE=eS GEM Colo;13906]make sure the VIN is for an '05 and that there is a clear title[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Will the title specifically say 2005 or is there a vin number location that identifies it?

The unit is pretty much stock. I came across this one site and cant find anything else. I use to drive muscle cars so I assume I am now getting old :slight_smile:

search this in google as I cant post here
ride-4-fun

Thanks
Chuck

the seller should give you the vin if you ask… if not… RUN… here is a sample code

The VIN is 5ASAK27492F030144.

positions 1,2,3 is the WMI number assigned by SAE

postion 4 is the assembly Line Number

position 5 is the Series if Car
J= Short back
K= Longback (includes XD)
G= Passenger Vehicle

position 6 Passenger verison
2= two passenger
4= four passenger
6= six passenger

position 7 is Voltage
3= 36 volt
4= 48 volt
7= 72 volt

position 8 is Type of Restraint
4= inertia reel belt

position 9 is Check Digit
number generated through mathematic formula

position 10 Model year
W=1998
X=1999
Y=2000
1=2001
2=2002
3=2003
this was changed in 2010 and I’m not sure how

position 11 is Plant number
F= Fargo. ND
M= Romorantin France

the last six numbers have meaning… I can only tell you they might relate to color… size of rear window and doors… can’t think of anything else… I know that I have been asked for those numbers a couple of times… the last was for the soft framed doors… I know the key has a number on it mine is 077 I don’t see that in the VIN… if you need more info call the parts guy at your dealer or Lee at Beck they can tell you more… maybe… I couldn’t get any info from customer service when I called

my car is an short back… 2 passenger 72volt inertia thing '05 made in Fargo and VIN is 5ASAJ27485F038565

Bob

Chuck a GEM is a far cry from a muscle car… that said they are a kick… are you near a dealer where you can drive one before you buy… I am just afraid you may have a $5000 dollar let down… where are you located?
Bob

This is very good info. I think others will find it useful as well

Chuck

[QUOTE=eS GEM Colo;13911]Chuck a GEM is a far cry from a muscle car… that said they are a kick… are you near a dealer where you can drive one before you buy… I am just afraid you may have a $5000 dollar let down… where are you located?
Bob[/QUOTE]

Bob, The unit is going to a beach condo on Tybee Island, GA. The speed limit is 30 around town and this would be perfect as my second vehicle as the island as you can imagine it is totally flat and may be only several sq miles in size. I current drive an avalanche in the Atlanta area. My only concern is battery drain when not in use for 30 days or so. I know there are better charging units that will over ride a low battery . That is another topic for later. Its nice to have a little ammo when purchasing something that is unknown

my title is in the safe deposit… I would think it probably does… the vin is located in car on a tag above the rear window…

Bob

I have a friend who leaves his car for a few months while away… I am not sure if he just leaves it plugged in and it stays charged or if he charges it then turns off the battery pack… I drive mine daily… Dennis can answer that…

Chuck is this the car? 2005 Gem Car Street Legal New Batteries

[QUOTE=eS GEM Colo;13915]I have a friend who leaves his car for a few months while away… I am not sure if he just leaves it plugged in and it stays charged or if he charges it then turns off the battery pack… I drive mine daily… Dennis can answer that…[/QUOTE]

Does a solar battery trickle charger exists ?

I hope the link posted was not the car. That was way overpriced. It even had body damage. For comparison, here is a completed e-bay link to a beautiful E4 that sold near me for less than $3000. It had upgrades and all. Someone got a nice car cheap. Look for these deals if you have time to search… 2002 Gem Car in Golf Cars (Electric & Gas) | eBay Motors

Luv… that was a great deal

not sure how old this car is… Gem Car -Golf Cart