Sales of Used e2

Has anyone checked to see what the sales price is for their GEM e2 after a year, two, three and so on?

Purchased my GEM e2 used from the dealer in early 2011 for 10K, checked this week with the same dealer about a trade in for a 2013 and was shocked when the dealer offered me 3K for my like new GEM which has all the neat stuff on it and only 2,800 miles.

Had no idea the value of the GEM was little or nothing after it is purchased or so it seems.

Checked the net and saw many 2000s and up listed any where from 3K to 9K dependeing on condition and stuff.

My GEM e2 is still like new with some wear and tear from use, but still a neat GEM, in fact to purchase the same GEM in the 2013 series, it would cost 19K according to the build your own GEM app.

Told the dealer I would wait awhile and mabye upgrade mine or sell it my self. Five days later the dealer called and wanted to give me 4K for my GEM, told him I would have to have at least 4.5 K fom my GEM but was astonished my GEM was not worth at least 6K.

Dealer seems to want my business but does not want to give me what I would call a decent trade in price on my GEM, they will sell it as soon as they put it on the show room floor.

What are y’alls thoughts on sales price of used GEMs by owners?

Gem’s are a little harder to sell than the average car as visually they didn’t change much since they were first produced so buyers see them all as the same wether it be a 2002 or a 2012. Dealers have fee’s to clean up and list your Gem for sale, so there is cost there, and also the whole profit thing. Car dealers are car dealers and they will offer you as little as possible for your Gem. Your best bet is to sell it yourself privately if you have the time.

[QUOTE=LuvMyTJ;13425]Gem’s are a little harder to sell than the average car as visually they didn’t change much since they were first produced so buyers see them all as the same wether it be a 2002 or a 2012. Dealers have fee’s to clean up and list your Gem for sale, so there is cost there, and also the whole profit thing. Car dealers are car dealers and they will offer you as little as possible for your Gem. Your best bet is to sell it yourself privately if you have the time.[/QUOTE]

All this may be true, but a true GEM person will buy a GEM, the old,the new, and still expect to get a good deal from their dealer…the life and times of us.

I have only one of three GEMs in my area of Denver… I get a lot of looks and questions where ever I go with it… as it’s my daily driver until the temps dip below 35… after telling them about my friend Sandy who liked my car but wanted a 4 seat… went to the dealer who showed her his floor model… don’t think he let her drive it as it and a six seat seem to be perminent fixtures on the show room floor… he then started filling in the numbers on a new car… his total came to a figure over $14000… she thanked him saying she’d sleep on it… re-read my paper and found a bright red 2000 four seat in AZ for a whole lot less… I know new GEMs are expensive and if you want the latest one buy it… but I see some beautiful old ones on eBay that ake me say why… mine is an '05 that I found on Craigslist… I really got a deal but I guess one mans loss is anothers gain… with all I’ve done to it I’m still only about $8000 into it and it is all but new…

here is my hand out… on the other side I’ve added a page from the '11 GEM website that had all the cars… stats and the then prices… I’ve changed the prices to the '12 prices and will be changing them again for '13…

Bob

here is the other side of my flyer
GEM CAR

Owner: Bob Andersen
303-810-xxxx
bobandersen251
2005 GEM: model eS
Global Electric Motorcars (GEM cars) designed by a couple of GE engineers… have been built since 1996 and were a Chrysler subsidiary until June of 2011 and is now
a division of Polaris Industries Inc

Batteries: 6- 12 volt Maintenance-Free Gel Batteries

I have had my GEM since Fathers day 2011… GEM cars are few in Colorado… only 5 in the area that I know of… I found this car on Craigslist… eBay is also another place to find used GEMs

I’ve found that mine will go about 27 miles on a charge… it might go further… I’m not into pushing it… literally

I charge it after each drive… onboard charger shuts off after batteries charged… car plugs into a regular wall plug with a extension cord… I believe my GEM costs less than a dollar a day to keep charged…

Since I bought my GEM I’ve reupholstered the seats… doors cover the openings… larger tires… front turn signals… Battsix battery monitor

GEM cars in the area: Adam Luhrs 303-238-4303 *G-Force Powersports Lakewood… Gary Shaw 303-654-1940 *Johnson Auto Plaza in Brighton… Ken Holsworth at *Perkins Motors in Colorado Springs… also check with Mike Bunker 303-744-3494 Discount Golf Carts: used GEM cars from time to time… can get you in a street legal cart *dealerships have an inventory at last check

Thanks for your interest in my car… call or e-mail me anytime if you have questions

Bob

You forgot to mention Trans 2, the original company that the GM guys started before it was bought by GEM. :slight_smile:
Here is a link to a brochure for people interested in becoming a dealer of the Trans2 - t2dealr_pres.html

I tell the history… honest… this is a good piece on the Trans2 as well

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZn607gInCc&feature=player_embedded]Trans2 electric car (cinepak) - YouTube[/ame]

I have seen that one before. Good video of their startup.
I think it is a great idea that you spread the news as you do to folks who are interested in your car.

Sure looks like a GEM

Have you seen this story is now a feature on this web site regarding resale value of the Gem Car?
Take a look here ~ [B]does-a-gem-e2-holding-its-value[/B]

Hi Bob, I am interested in purchasing a GEM car. Are you selling now or just researching?

Hi and welcome Charicon… at this time I’m not selling my car… I enjoy driving it and talking about it too much… get one and you’ll see… I’m sure you can find ideas or help in finding a car in your area here in the forum…as we may have have seen or heard of one for sale… where are you located?

Bob

[QUOTE=charicon;13707]Hi Bob, I am interested in purchasing a GEM car. Are you selling now or just researching?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum Charicon.

If you don’t want to spend money on a new one keep an eye out for a good used model. Check CraigsList and even e-bay for local GEM’s. They all look the same but 2000-2004 are better than pre-2000’s, and 2005 and up are the most current in design. If you look at used, be sure & check the condition of the batteries and what type of batteries it has (gel, flooded) and ask the age of them. Better yet, show up with a load tester and a volt meter. GEM’s will on average go through a battery pack every 3 to 5 years depending on type and how you care for them. GEM’s like to be plugged in after every trip.

Good luck in your search! :wink:

oops I don’t understand how to use this forum yet :slight_smile:

Charicon… mine is an '05 eS truckette… options… I guess I have added a bunch… I got it for a low price and only now am probably beyond the point of no return on selling it for a profit… but I can live with that…

2000-2004 cars range from $2000 to about $4000… unless you fall into a deal and they are out there… the 05’s and newer are more… if you are in an area with cars deals can be found… in a area like Denver where I am… market drives the price… I’m happy to help you look

Bob

Hi Bob and LuvMyTJ,
I used to live in the Potter Highlands, Denver CO actually but now I live in Annapolis Md. There are no GEMs here. Only a dealer who so far only sells to colleges etc so no used GEMs. I think things may change around here after I am seen driving around town! I found a ‘new’ 2011 es for 7k with a warranty and a custom e2 for 8k. They seem like great deals but don’t have the options I am looking for so I hate to pay for the options that I will have to try and sell later (7hp motor, 10 in turf tires and rims, and cargo carrier). I assume the 2 yr warranty does not cover the batteries too. Of course, the first reasonably priced used car I found that I liked is sold. I did not know what I was looking for when I found it :frowning: Where could I obtain a load tester and a volt meter? My wish list is 2005+ e2 or es (that I can modify to add rear seating) 7.5 hp motor (does the controller really need to be reprogramed ?), 14 in tires, gel batteries, maybe the upgraded charger (I am not up to speed on that option yet), and some kind of doors that can be easily removed for summer and handle Maryland weather the rest of the year. It is obvious to me now that I will have to drive to Florida or a similar distance to get my car but I always enjoy a road trip :slight_smile:
Thanks for the welcome! I hope I posted this correctly!

Just a side note on modifying a 2 seater with a rear seat. Unless you can find the optioned official rear seat it is pretty tough to do. The real rear seat is very rare and they sell for $600 & up. I almost had one but I couldn’t work a deal out. See this link for pics - http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-vehicles/4766-rear-facing-gem-seat-w-photo.html

You could modify a golf cart rear seat but they run $300 and do not match the GEM at all. If you need seating for 4, do yourself a favor and buy a 4 seater GEM or… I have seen some really creative trailer seats. The last one here being my favorite. I may have to make the tiki trailer for my seasonal camp. :wink:

Very creative! I really like the red one. I am trying to stay with a small car for looks, storage and towing. I have family members that are welders so I am hoping they can modify it for me. There is a seller on ebay who is in Arizona that does some really need stuff for the rear of the car. Their cars are just too guy oriented for a girl :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Brian… how about this for a seat? New Chrysler Gem E2 E4 E825 Rear Cubby Basket Rack Trunk Utility Box Golf Cart | eBay

[QUOTE=charicon;13734]Hi Bob and LuvMyTJ,
I used to live in the Potter Highlands, Denver CO actually but now I live in Annapolis Md. There are no GEMs here. Only a dealer who so far only sells to colleges etc so no used GEMs. I think things may change around here after I am seen driving around town! I found a ‘new’ 2011 es for 7k with a warranty and a custom e2 for 8k. They seem like great deals but don’t have the options I am looking for so I hate to pay for the options that I will have to try and sell later (7hp motor, 10 in turf tires and rims, and cargo carrier). I assume the 2 yr warranty does not cover the batteries too. Of course, the first reasonably priced used car I found that I liked is sold. I did not know what I was looking for when I found it :frowning: Where could I obtain a load tester and a volt meter? My wish list is 2005+ e2 or es (that I can modify to add rear seating) 7.5 hp motor (does the controller really need to be reprogramed ?), 14 in tires, gel batteries, maybe the upgraded charger (I am not up to speed on that option yet), and some kind of doors that can be easily removed for summer and handle Maryland weather the rest of the year. It is obvious to me now that I will have to drive to Florida or a similar distance to get my car but I always enjoy a road trip :slight_smile:
Thanks for the welcome! I hope I posted this correctly![/QUOTE]

Charicon… I live at 30th and Sheridan a little further West than you lived… eS’s are hard to find… the '11 eS for $7000 sounds like a sweet deal… got a photo or what it has as extras… doors are an add on anyway you look at them… you can always pick up used wheels and tires… the eS also lets you put a 14 or 15 inch tire on with no problem… a tire change will add a couple miles per hour… a Honda wheel that is a 4x4 will fit… my wheels are from Discount Tire… not sure about the rear fenders on an Es… ride-4-fun is not too far from you they have doors… I think you can get away without changing anything but the motor with a 71/2 hp motor… the 05 cars and newer have the Delta Q charger… it likes the GEL batteries better than others

Bob