Pros-Cons

I’m looking at a 2002 GEM E825 and would like to know any fundamental pros and cons about it.

I know condition wise, things like batteries, wear and tear, tire age, etc, but were there significant changes made that make a 2002 not a reasonable choice?

Thanks.

Steering geometry and suspension in later models was redesigned. I have a 2002 and it’s a handful to horse around for my wife until we get up to speed. I personally don’t have a problem except at very low speeds and sharp turns.

GEM display upgraded in later models. Again I don’t have a problem with my display except it alternates between MPH and stat of charge every few seconds by design and you have to pay attention to it to get the information you need.

Motor was upgraded a few times over the years for more HP.

GEMs were pretty rugged machines out of the box. 99 thru 01 were the first generation in 02 they were upgraded with more power. In 05 a major redesign of the front suspension and front batteries were moced to the rear. Electrics also recieved a significant upgrade. The major impact on operation was easier steering and better brakes.

The biggest item that hurts eariler GEM’s is lack of use. Brake cylinders freeze up or leak. Parking brake cables seize up and upholstery deteriorates. Shock bushings squeeze out. Owners don’t service the batteries and when they fail the cost to replace them causes the cars to be parked in a corner if their lucky or their moved behind the shed and forgotten.

None of these items is a big deal if your handy. If you have to go to a dealer it becomes expensive.

A recent poll indicates that most of the members of this forum are hands on guys that will only go to a dealer if they just can’t fix the problem. Usually electrical. Almost none of our members has any trouble taking care of mechanical problems. Mechanically they are a pretty simple machine.

An Aside: A BIG proportion of us drive GEM’s because they are different. They make us feel GOOD!!! A lot of us have Silverado’s, RAM’s and F150’s in the garage. It’s an EGO thing…

Thanks guys. That is good info. I’m very “handy” as any RV’er needs to be and have a decent shop. I’ve never seen a tool I did not like… Also, I’ve done about most everything a person can do to an electric Club Car golf cart, so the step up to a GEM should be manageable.

It sounds like the second generation 2002 is a good choice while a 2004 might be worth a small premium.

Thanks again.

If your not in hilly country the 3 1/2 HP is more than adequate.

Rodney’s point about brakes is a good one. I upgraded my front drums to disks and that’s made a big difference.

Middle Tennessee is nothing but hills! A little more power and a lot more brakes are good.

:cool:[quote=badfitter;24213]Middle Tennessee is nothing but hills! A little more power and a lot more brakes are good.[/quote]

It seems to me, hills and all… Better pass on this older one. A later model 2004+ could cost you about 1K +/- more and that’s less than to give a older model all the upgrades, motor, suspension, disk brakes, etc., etc.

Just MHO. What do I know, I’m new here…

Jerry

Looking for a 2004 or newer now…

Thanks.

Les

Need to go 05 for latest suspension.

2005 or newer it is then. Thanks.

You guys are excellent at spending my money. <smile>

Les

By the way. Will a Polaris dealer come off their list price for a new order GEM? Will they take golf cart trade-ins. I’m pretty sure I have my Club Car sold anyway but would like to know my options if I go with a new GEM.

You can find a hell of a good 2005 to 2008 used Gem for less than 1/2 of what a Gem Stealer wants. Even if you have to search out of state and shipping is added in.

In my area the two dealers stay real close to list. A fellow in my 55+ complex just bought a new 2 seater with minimal optional equipment. Most everything is optional and VERY expensive from the dealer. Such as the back storage pack, wipers, chrome front and rear bumpers… all extras. You can pay 16K for the latest completely loaded 2 seat model.

You can buy a good pristine very low millage gently used 2008 anniversary edition with ALL the bells and whistles in a complex called “The Villages” in MI for 5K. I did ,and some here say that I paid too much!

Call your friendly GEM stealer for a price. Then Google “Craigs List” Gem car prices and see what you get…

Jerry

If you buy used MAKE SURE you get a title.

Good idea about “The Villages”. I know about that huge community. Maybe they have a for sale bulletin board or something similar. I understand too the importance of a title or a MSO. I’m not interested at all in jumping the hoops getting a LSV licensed that is not current.

My biggest problem is trying to find a GEM 2 with doors…

Country bumpkins need a title… I’m not concerned about a title. I’m not in a B.F.E. area out in the sticks. I’m in a city/suburban area in a gated one mile square 55+ 1,300 home community. The only road out is on US-41, minimum speed of 45. We have a very good market here (Del Tura C.C.) for LV vehicles without titles.

I’ve been offered almost double what I paid for my GEM from just driving it around in my community since I bought it three months ago. We have many LV carts here like Club Car golf carts. But at this point Only 4 Gem cars, all bought in the last year.

If your out in a rustic country area and intend to drive on city/county roads, you need a title. In a closed gated community like mine and The Villages its not needed. In fact my GEM came from The Villages. The owner had a title and nullified it to save on the $800 a year insurance bill. In Florida It is a cake walk to get the title reinstated as per the state tax office. But its not needed [I][U]or wanted [/U][/I]due to sales tax and insurance issues in my market.

Jerry

[quote=badfitter;24271]Good idea about “The Villages”. I know about that huge community. Maybe they have a for sale bulletin board or something similar. I understand too the importance of a title or a MSO. I’m not interested at all in jumping the hoops getting a LSV licensed that is not current.

My biggest problem is trying to find a GEM 2 with doors…[/quote]

You don’t need the hard doors. They can be hard to open in a small side clearance garage or get out of when parked close to another vehicle. They also leak in the rain. Soft zip up doors will work other than in bone ass well digger cold of the north. You should be driving your snow mobile than not your GEM. Hard door cars are also very hot in the summer. You’ll be trying to take them off in July & August.

I thought I wanted hard doors too because I thought they looked cool. In six months of looking I only found 3 in the east coast to mid states of the USA. And they were priced so high and with very high millage.

Trust me… find a soft door car. If it has no doors it will cost $800 to 1K to add soft doors.

As Always… IMHO

I had soft roll doors on my 07. Really made a difference in the winter. Just rolled em up for the rest of the year. Hard doors are a PITA to take off and on for the seasons.

Don’t lose the bubble on my original interest in hard doors.

I want to be able to tow the GEM car on an open trailer behind our motor home. It will be subject to about 15,000 miles per year at 70 MPH.

Soft doors won’t have a chance, it seems.

Sounds like your going to have to hit your dealer