Pros-Cons

Closed trailer make more sense.

A 6X12 Vee Nosed cargo trailer is less than $1900 and will pull easier than a loaded exposed open trailer. I would think that would only be 5 or 600 dollars more than a set of doors.

Seems that way. Bummer.

Plus way more choices on GEMs without doors.

A GEM without hard doors is not useful to me.

You might look at an ATOMIC. Sharp NEV

Must be something I don’t understand though that’s not unusual I’m afraid. My only point was that if you had an enclosed trailer you wouldn’t need hard doors when you towed you GEM. The trailer would keep out the rain and dust when towing which I thought was your objective. You’d also find a much wider selection of used GEMS without hard doors and if you wanted doors when you got to your destination, soft doors would be adequate.

Anyway best of luck to you in your search. I’m sure you’ll figure it out without my help!

… with a pocket full of cash.:bounce:

Right now I have a really nice Drop-Tail trailer that is light enough for me to unhook from the motor home and hook to the trailer hitch on the ClubCar. If I am traveling alone I can quickly unload the golf cart and hook the trailer to it and move the cart/trailer out of the way. I do this every weekend as we are showing dogs and it is not possible or practical to back a trailer in the parking spots I usually have to get into.

The Drop-Tail trailer has a carrying capacity of over 2,000 pounds, even with its light weight. I absolutely have to be able to keep the trailer. There is no way I could manage a heavier enclosed trailer so it is out of the question. If it was not for that, an enclosed trailer would be a good option.

I appreciate everyone’s suggestions. I have learned a lot. Thanks!

I have a 2007 E2 that has hard doors. I tow it behind my rv on a trailer like yours. You must tow it forward not backwards on the trailer and not at 70mph. I love my hard doors. I live in North Cali. so it can be very hot and very wet. My doors don’t leak ( treat the seals seasonally with silicon spray). When it’s hot I open the windows and drive as fast as I can. Only 1 pin to pull (for each door) to remove them. I have heard that if you remove the hard doors that they will not rehang properly if you don’t make a hanger to have them stored in the same aspect. My neighbor has the same vehicle but with soft doors and he loves them. He never takes them off. I hear if the hard doors aren’t factory installed they are hard as heck to add them as aftermarket. Also stay away from the Stealers. The only thing the are trained to do is to take your money. Barry Chico, Ca

Thanks Barry. Sounds nice!

Saw this 2000 with out a seat.
Dealer said they would take $3K

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/85202950

That is serous case of lipstick on a pig. $3k for shiny paint on a terribly designed cart with batteries in an unknown condition that rides and drives like an old dump truck with bad suspension, that you will inevitably drop another $3k into for shocks, brakes, rims, tires, a seat bottom and maybe a motor. If the batteries are shot, that is minimum $700 for flooded lead. If you want gel batteries, add $400 for a used charger. Lithium? 2500 and up.

So at the end of it all, you’re over $6k maybe even $10k into a bad design that will still ride and steer like an old clapped out dump truck .

Save your money and get 2006 and up. 2012+ if you want a Cadillac quality ride. You’ll be glad you didn’t buy the $3k turd

4 Likes

Ouch but so true. Wish I would have known this when I first started. I got lucky and was able to sell it for more then I paid for it.

I have a 2008 2 door with doors heater lithium batteries bigger stock motor in UT. If interested let me know

You have no idea how much I am kicking myself for not offering more for the garaged 2008 GEM a neighbor had with dead batteries when she was getting rid of it. I knew nothing about the GEM, only had an eZGo type cart at the time and offered $3000 then $3500 and she wouldn’t take it. I offered that price since I’d seen older GEMs on craigslist for ~$3500 with good batteries and knew a set of 6 good batteries would be over $1000. She threw some cheap 12V car batteries in it and sold it for $4500.

Our family loves cruising around our beach community in our 2002 GEM but my gawd it’s like a continuous ride offroad in Baja except for the most perfectly smooth asphalted roads. And that ridged suspension has come into play, via a large pothole, in killing the original T1 controller.