Total Newb

My parents have a place at the beach and I want them to buy one of these vehicles. I don’t know anything about so I joined the forum. I want to get one as cheap as possible. This will only be used at the beach where the speed limit is 35 on the island. Would like to get a 4 seat vehicle as well. :smiley:

Living in the beach area and driving on the beach are 2 different animals. To drive on the beach requires some upgrading to handle the soft surfaces. “Cheap as possible” is an oxymoron when it comes to these vehicles because, in reality, they are very enjoyable TOYS. However: they are toys that the entire family can enjoy individually or together. If you don’t buy a 4 passenger unit upfront, within 2 years YOU WILL. 4 passenger units hold their value MUCH better than 2.

To get you started I would suggest you look into the CLUB CAR NEV version of their 2 seat golf cart with the added 2 rear seats. This is going to be about as “cheap” as you can get in a NEW street legal NEV. They are aluminum framed and as trouble free as any. Stay away from steel framed units in beach areas. Front wheel drive cars in the sand are iffy.

Keep us upto date.

BTW Welcome to the family!!!

Thank you for the quick response. Carts are not allowed on the beach, so I hope I answered that question there. Should this post be moved if I put it in the wrong category? I agree with you on the 4 seats. I guess I don’t know much about the diff. between a Club Car NEV and a GEM per se. I don’t want to assume anything.

The GEM is a unique vehicle. Much of its apeal is due to appearance. It’s different and stands out in a crowd of Golf Carts. Many owners (myself included) like that. We PAY extra for that though.

Okay it’s the Lexus of SLV. I am looking to purchase more of the Toyota Camry. LOL

Just want something affordable that will serve it’s purpose. I started digging around last night and do all of these CLUB CARS go under 35 MPH? I saw where some of them only went 15 and 25 MPH

Club Car builds Golf Carts that are Legally capable of 21 miles an hour. They build NEV versions that are legally capable of 25 miles per hour.

35+ mile per hour capability is obtained buy modification to either of these units and is technically illegal. How ever nobody seems to bother anyone about it.

I think you’ll find that any NEV (by state law in most places) is limited to 25MPH from the factory. This is done so the manufacturer can avoid the expense of meeting Federal crash standards. Additionally NEVs can typically be driven [U]legally[/U] on roads posted at or less than 35MPH unless specifically prohibited by local ordinance. Those NEVs that exceed that limit have had modifications made to them post-factory to remove the limiter or enhance HP, etc.

In my experience, salt water exposure will quickly corrode any metals (steel [U]or[/U] aluminum frames, undercarriage, etc.) so I’d avoid exposure to that at all costs if possible. Fresh water is less of a problem but will still rust steel of course.

Used vehicles will be far less expensive (probably less than half of new) but still a good buy if you can find one in good condition. All electric GEMs are great but you’d probably need to find a competent dealer/mechanic or plan on doing the work yourself. Your biggest problems w/ GEMs will be electrical in nature (esp. batteries). You might want to think about buying a used gas powered NEV first and then trade up after a few years if you/they are still enjoying the experience.

Al

Al has it nailed. If you cant do the work yourself a dealer close by is an asset. Having owned both steel and aluminum framed carts I can say with certainty Aluminum lasts a LOT longer and has better resale. A gas cart has the advantage of unlimited range. This is a bigger advantage than a lot of people realize if your family has more than one user.

If you decide on a used electric cart the newness and quality of the batteries has a BIG influence on the price you pay for the cart.

To add to what was already said, a set of new industrial batteries (eg Trojans) will set you back $1200 to $1500. You can find cheaper batteries of course but do NOT go with auto batteries - they simply will not work. I don’t recommend marine deep cycle either. Batteries IMO are the Archilles heel of electric carts so pay attention to what’s installed and how old they are. The batteries need to be capable of sustained hi amp draw and designed for the application. Anything less and you’ll be disappointed and walking home.

Just to chime in;
I just purchased my 2008 Gem EV4 for $2000.00, then new batteries from a dealer friend $1,100.00. It has low mileage, doors, all the windscreens/windows front top and rear, and factory floor mats front and rear.
Everyone in my neighborhood has golf carts for running to and from the lake (no golf course here) and they are all over 5k most around 7K when they get lifted and tweaked.
However I can drive mine to the store and it is frowned upon in a golf cart, mine is registered and street legal. I have now had both and would not return to the golf cart arena. I went gem for safety, seatbelts, lights etc… They are out there if you watch for them. It took me a year to find mine. Spend some time watching ebay and CL. You will find one.

[quote=ApacheshoresGEM;23371]Just to chime in;
I just purchased my 2008 Gem EV4 for $2000.00, then new batteries from a dealer friend $1,100.00. It has low mileage, doors, all the windscreens/windows front top and rear, and factory floor mats front and rear.
Everyone in my neighborhood has golf carts for running to and from the lake (no golf course here) and they are all over 5k most around 7K when they get lifted and tweaked.
However I can drive mine to the store and it is frowned upon in a golf cart, mine is registered and street legal. I have now had both and would not return to the golf cart arena. I went gem for safety, seatbelts, lights etc… They are out there if you watch for them. It took me a year to find mine. Spend some time watching ebay and CL. You will find one.[/quote]

Sounds like you got a killer deal. I look on CL, nothing much in my area. Some ppl have their GEMs priced really high.

Watch Ebay and go to IFTHISTHENTHAT.com
Set up a function to troll CL for you.
If (a gem is posted)
Then(Email me)

I bought mine from a builder friend that had it to drive clients to their model homes and around their condo property. Once they sold the last unit they no longer needed it and sold it to me cheap.

How much is insurance on these things?

[quote=ApacheshoresGEM;23379]Watch Ebay and go to IFTHISTHENTHAT.com
[/quote]

Dude, this site is genius! :smiley:

2001 GEM CAR Excellent Condition Here is one within an hour of me. Here is what he had to say.

“This car doesn’t actually have an odometer. It shows only MPH and battery percentage level to my knowledge.”

Seems high, take a volt meter and test the batteries. Test them then drive it around the block and test them again. Ask them to send you pics of the the batteries and post that here. THese guys know what will last and what is junk. You might be buying one that needs new “correct” batteries.

I purchased it last July for my wife from Custom Carts in Pageland SC. This place is a golf cart dealership which prides themselves In high end custom carts. They received the Gem Car as a trade in without really knowing anything about it.

Once they received it , I’m told that Custom carts quickly figured out that this vehicle was really different from an EZGO style golf cart which is what they specialize in. Custom Carts had to end up paying a company out of Georgia to come inspect/update this Gem Car. Upon test driving this car, I could tell that it had been very well taken care of. The seats had no signs of wear, the floor mats looked new.

The batteries were replaced and the charging system was upgraded in June of 2014. Sonya (sales rep) said she was told the owner of the Gem Car passed away and the Gem car sat in his garage for years. The grandson of the original owner is who traded it in for a new golf cart.
My wife and kids have ridden it since then with no problems. It run around 27 to 28 MPH which is standard.

Only a bill of sale was given when purchased. Custom Carts said they never deal with titles because golf carts do not have titles. I never had reason to obtain on as well whereas we live in the suburbs of Hartsville. I assume a replacement title can be obtained from the DMV if the new owner wants to reregister and put tags on it. DMV says the vehicle was originally registered in NC.

535 miles,

You REALLY need the title for a GEM. They are a NEV/ LSV. You cannot obtain a license for street running with out one.

If you can figure out how to obtain one without involvement of the previous owner please post your procedure. A few people will have a keen interest in this item including me. I got involved in this a couple of months ago and had to sell a 2008 loaded 2 seater with new batteries for $2600 .

The only places that you can run on the roads without a title are Golf Cart Friendly cities Like Tavares Florida.

I’m going to make him do the leg work and get a title. LOL