Total Newb

For sure -keep us informed. If the original owner or his heirs can be located they can apply for a lost title and go from there. In my case the son wouldn’t cooperate.

[quote=USCDude;23386]I purchased it last July for my wife from Custom Carts in Pageland SC. This place is a golf cart dealership which prides themselves In high end custom carts. They received the Gem Car as a trade in without really knowing anything about it.

Once they received it , I’m told that Custom carts quickly figured out that this vehicle was really different from an EZGO style golf cart which is what they specialize in. Custom Carts had to end up paying a company out of Georgia to come inspect/update this Gem Car. Upon test driving this car, I could tell that it had been very well taken care of. The seats had no signs of wear, the floor mats looked new.

The batteries were replaced and the charging system was upgraded in June of 2014. Sonya (sales rep) said she was told the owner of the Gem Car passed away and the Gem car sat in his garage for years. The grandson of the original owner is who traded it in for a new golf cart.
My wife and kids have ridden it since then with no problems. It run around 27 to 28 MPH which is standard.

Only a bill of sale was given when purchased. Custom Carts said they never deal with titles because golf carts do not have titles. I never had reason to obtain on as well whereas we live in the suburbs of Hartsville. I assume a replacement title can be obtained from the DMV if the new owner wants to reregister and put tags on it. DMV says the vehicle was originally registered in NC.[/quote]

I would pass unless they can provide a title. I can only speak for Texas but getting a title is very difficult, especially if its from an estate. These are titled registered vehicles, would you buy a car without a title. Make the seller do the hard work for you. I do not think they can sell it otherwise. Its not theirs to sell. If you can get it for very cheap and you wanted to risk losing all your money it might be worth it for you but not for that price. Way too much risk for me. No title sends all my warning / red flags up…Be very careful…

Dude

Do you own this cart or is it for sale by someone else? If it isn’t yours RUN!

No title! Could be stolen.

USCDude… I think your folks would love the GEM car over a ‘golf’ cart… as mentioned the GEM car is built as a car not a modified cart that becomes street legal… yes you’ll pay a little more… not sure where in SC you are and not knowing the state… looking at Craigslist I see a couple of e4 (4 seat) cars listed… the older than the 05 are good although some improvements to the 05 and newer make them better (in my opinion)… if you see a car that you like post it here and I’m sure we all will look over your shoulder to tell you if it is the deal or not… getting a car from a near by state is not a bad thing… there is an eBay type company uShip.com that you tell them what you want moved from point A to B and the shippers bid… they have a rating system so you don’t pick a rag-tag guy

Bob

In TX you can get a bonded title but to my knowledge its like having a re-built or salvage title. Anything with a re-built or salvage title is, in my opinion with about 10-20 cents on the dollar to a vehicle with a clean title. If you are in the same state and you can do a title search you may be able to find the org owner or estate of; and see if they will simply sign it. If so whack him hard on the price and get it done. Worst case, they all say no and your not out a dime and let some other sucker buy it.

With or with out a title $5000 is heavy.

[quote=eS GEM Colo;23405]USCDude… I think your folks would love the GEM car over a ‘golf’ cart… as mentioned the GEM car is built as a car not a modified cart that becomes street legal… yes you’ll pay a little more… not sure where in SC you are and not knowing the state… looking at Craigslist I see a couple of e4 (4 seat) cars listed… the older than the 05 are good although some improvements to the 05 and newer make them better (in my opinion)… if you see a car that you like post it here and I’m sure we all will look over your shoulder to tell you if it is the deal or not… getting a car from a near by state is not a bad thing… there is an eBay type company uShip.com that you tell them what you want moved from point A to B and the shippers bid… they have a rating system so you don’t pick a rag-tag guy

Bob[/quote]

So I should be looking for an 05 or newer? What changes were made? I don’t mind paying more for a GEM if I can get one for 3-4k. I just want a good value as I’m not in a rush and this is more of a gift.

05 is design updated cart. Front suspension changes make this cart much more desireable. LOTS easier to steer. If you buy an older cart I will sell you an EZ STEER conversion.

3 to 4k is a dream or a project cart. A decent set of batteries is +$1200

Here is one in ATL Gem Car 4 seater Golf Cart

it’s pretty… not a bad price… it’s older than an '03… will have two batteries under the hood… makes the car a little heavy in the front… I’ve never driven a 4 seat car and mine is an '05… the guy says he’s put in a new charger and batteries… that’s around $1500… see if he’ll give you the VIN… if so call my friend Lee at 888-677-4961 tell him you’d like to know if there are any recalls on the car… if you can get the seller’s name check that GEM car has him as the owner… records seem to get lost since Polaris took over… it could save time… ask if the rear fenders are cracked… they do take a lot of jarring and could be… it looks like he has painted it… maybe you could get him come down to $3750-$3500

tell Lee Bob in Wheat Ridge CO sent you

Bob

USCDude… look at this one too… it’s a 2001… sounds clean as well… has the weather doors a plus and heat… although I understand it’s more defrost than heat… with doors the windows do fog… like the other guy this done this has new batteries… this one is a ‘New York’ car as it has the extra lights in the front… from a safety stand point I like that added them to my car… he does want more but the doors will cost between $800-$1000

.2001 GEM CAR Excellent Condition

Bob

Take a battery tester thats load test capable, a trailer and cash. That is just slightly more than I now have in mine. Hopefully everyone else here agrees. Old house boater will jump in, He has good advice.

I am referring the EV4 in atlanta… I would not buy an 01, a 2 seater or a truck… 2 seaters are too small I have kids, 01 is too old and zllot has changed making the newer ones better overall and the trucksters look like a maintance man… lol… no offence to anyone that has one…

[quote=eS GEM Colo;23423]USCDude… look at this one too… it’s a 2001… sounds clean as well… has the weather doors a plus and heat… although I understand it’s more defrost than heat… with doors the windows do fog… like the other guy this done this has new batteries… this one is a ‘New York’ car as it has the extra lights in the front… from a safety stand point I like that added them to my car… he does want more but the doors will cost between $800-$1000

.2001 GEM CAR Excellent Condition

Bob[/quote]

This is the one with ZERO Title.

My wife and I think my short bed truckette is much cooler than your E4 thank you very much! I DO agree with you regarding the long beds though. LOL

Al

$4000 is in the ball park with new batteries. Any thing over that is heavy. If you can get it for $3750 do it.

$5000 even with title is a little far out.

I asked this previous in the thread. What kind of insurance do I need on this thing? What are the monthly costs?

Dude… a 0? do you have the complete number?

Dude… Insurance… I have a ‘dreaded’ eS truckette… my insurance is with State Farm as is my Prius and house… I get the multi car deal and pay about $22 bucks a month… just got my bill and it has gone up to $110 and change a month… I have full coverage on both… you’ll have to register the GEM… not sure what plates are… Colorado just up the price of plates by $50 for electric cars… seems we don’t buy gas and they need the tax money… some of that goes for chargers as well although the GEM just uses a regular 110v plug…

Bob