Buying a Used Gem e4

Hello All and thanks for the links. The one car is about 10 miles from me while the other in Conway is over 350( Use to live in Myrtle beach and know Conway well) Anyway I traveled 900 miles this weekend, Did some shee trock and demo work and took a ride from Savannah to Jacksonviille and bought a 2005 E4 with doors for about 5k. I will post back tomorrow

thanks
Chuck

Congrats… welcome to the owners club…

[QUOTE=eS GEM Colo;13955]Congrats… welcome to the owners club…[/QUOTE]

Hello All,

Now that I own the car. I do have other questions. I dont know if I need to start another thread to make it simple for other users. i will search for brakes and wheel bearings and if I dont see any topic info, I will start a new thread.

Thanks
Chuck

GemCarMechanic aka Dennis has compliled a list of OEM replacement items… I don’t think brakes are listed… for 2000-2004 cars NEV Accessories in AZ is a good place… they ship and are quick to get parts out… Roger or Evan are the contacts… NEV ACCESSORIES

2005 and newer gem parts direct is a phone call away Lee is the contact… on the site you can find a parts manual as well… the company you are calling is Beck Chrysler… Lee can answer questions you may have as well
Gem Car Parts Direct | The Nations #1 Source for Gem Car Parts

My name is Daniel. I don’t know who “Dennis” is. A few minor parts for the brake system are available after market. Please share any new discoveries of after market parts.

sorry Daniel … brain freeze

Bob

IMG_0968_zpsc578326a.jpg Photo by DianeNeste1 | Photobucket

IMG_0974_zpsa391776c.jpg Photo by DianeNeste1 | Photobucket

great looking car… we see who the real owner is… :slight_smile:

Thanks, I thought 5 k was a resonable price .It was close enough to look at without buying other peoples crap on ebay unseen

Congratulations!

Chuck… did you buy the car?

I just checked it out and there aren’t too many Gem cars for sale lately. They are a little hard to find. Here are all the ones listed on Cars for Sale:

Used GEM for sale - Carsforsale.com

There may be other ways to find one, but E-bay had next to nothing.

Seems pricey to me.

A 2000 2seater for $8K is crazy even with a nice paint job and decals. Better have brand new batteries and an upgrade motor and recently and completely overhauled to justify even asking that price. Even the 2001 for $3500 seems pretty high to me unless it’s got new batteries but it’s more reasonable by far. But of course those prices are asked before all the “jawing” starts!

What are the current prices for used GEMs?

Evforum… I have seen e4 GEM cars from $2500 to $6000… most are from 2000 to 2005… have posted some in the Facebook GEM car Photo group

Bob

Thanks Bob

Is there much movement in second hand prices over the last few years? I would guess they might move higher the more scarce some of the models become?

I can’t answer that question… I’ve helped a couple of people find cars… see new people here with questions… at car shows and in parking lots I try to convince people to join me on the street driving a GEM car… so far I’m still alone… we had a dealer in Denver and he gave up the franchise… the dealer and hour South says he won’t carry an inventory… the new Polaris GEM seem to be priced about twice as much as a used one

Bob

I bought my 2002 GEM e2 with doors this past summer for $1500. Put in a Ride4Fun motor/controller upgrade and lithium batteries. So I’m all in for $4500. I think I got a real good deal that should meet my needs for many years to come. I think there are garage finds out there that are great deals. Sometimes being at the right place at the right time and sometimes it requires getting the word out in your area that you are seriously looking and interested.

RWD

RWD, thanks for the sharing of your story… I got my 05 eS for $3000 plus shipping from California in 2011… it came with about $1100 in factory upgrades that the seller didn’t talk about… I added doors and a Marlon 9.6 hp motor… over all i’m at about $8000 and am really happy with my car… I would love to have an e4 but the wife who manages the garage says I can only drive one car and I don’t need another… it not a matter of need as much as want… now can see the fun of a 4 seat that the two seat falls a little short on… some day I’ll have the 4 seat

Bob

I just purchased my 02 Gem 2 seater for $1850.00 It had a few issues with the wires feeding up to the steering wheel controls, easy fix just 18 wires LOL. now it runs great and all lights and controls work. I pulled the rear fender panel off to fix a few stress cracks, and found broken welds on the control arms, the only thing holding the rear axel in place are the shock bolts. gotta grind off some chicken crap welds someone did and weld it back up right, may evan add a few gussets to make it better than new.