Buying a Used Gem e4

good job… start cheap and build from there… you’ll never be upside down…

Bob

Yea it was one of those in great shape with only a few seams coming apart on the seat. When it came off the trailer after being shipped the only lights that worked were the brake lights. all the rest had bad grounds and broken wires, when i pulled the plastic off the steering column the dash lights went crazy, found burnt wires in the main harness, but it’s all good now.
It has some little 17" golf cart tires on it now, so new tires back up to 20-1/2 will have it back up to speed. a little paint work and just drive it for the rest of the year and maybe upgrade motor and controller over the winter.

Writing a how to but can’t post with pics till I post 5 times? This is just space filler, sorry.

How to what?

Repair a spline,

Turned out to be worth the Bogus posts.

Rodney

I recently pulled the trigger on a “New” 2012 GEM e4 I found on eBay being sold by a Car dealer in NY. They had used it as a demo for the past few years, and it had a total of 263 miles on it. Paid $6500 plus $600 to uShip it down here to Orlando. They put new batteries in it for free, and it also came with a Stake Back, Front Bumper, Heater, rear window. Because I bought it from a dealer, I still get the 2 year GEM waranty, too.

I have lot’s of questions still about it but won’s spam the thread here:)

congrats fonman99 and welcome… you have a sweet car… what a deal… my go to guy in FL is Beck Chrysler… Gem Car Parts Direct | The Nations #1 Source for Gem Car Parts… Karen is at the end of the toll free number…

Bob

I am going to consider GEM e4 2005 listed for sale at $2500. It needs battery replacement though. Just quick question, is it a good buy or should I negotiate on this? It looks a bit dirty but seems in good condition. Any thoughts or what to check for buying an older GEM? I read about the suspension is way much different between 2005 and late 2010’s.

that a little high for an e2 that needs batteries . does it turn on and run ? if it wont run could be bigger problems than batteries

thank you for the reply Daniel

The asking price is $5400 for a southern vehicle that has the tough door choice. we could count on the batteries are 7 years vintage and wishes to get replaced for 1200-1400. is that this still an awesome charge? seems to be in excellent form.

FYI, need to confirm. I anticipate the battery dates must be stamped /printe don the abtteries. How hard is that this to test?

Quoted" 2012 batteries "

New to the GEM world and looking at a 06’ E4 for sale. I will inspect (as good as I can new to this world)…visual check of batteries, bushings (12 I think) etc like I would for a regular car. Is there anyway to test the batteries (volt meter, etc) and what else can I look at that I would have the ability to check. Will doubt I will be able to start. Any thoughts on a good price, would rather have a good price in my head before negotiating. Will be used at beach 3 months per year to carry my fat butt and surfboard to the break.

Note: GEM cars dont work in sand.

Figured that thanks. Road driving only