My new Gem was delivered today

MVC-003F

1 Like

Nice a newer one, they look like the funny little electric Chinese cars with the doors on.

Dave can you give us the Pros and Cons of your new Gem. I’m sure many here would love to hear what you think about it.

Like it so far. Put about 3/4 of a mile on it. :slight_smile:
Something wrong in the drive train. Noise would not be acceptable to most.
Little or no regen below 25mph. Brakes seem marginal.
Sway is bad. Ok on corners, but make a small correction at speed and it feels like it could flip. Reminds me of my deep vee river jet. Up on plane it would chine walk.
Maybe it’s bad steering geometry or just toe out.

Happy with speed and power. Seems a good mileage trade off for non hotrodder.
Hood sucks. For someone playing with the drive system, might just leave it off for now.
Seats are nice with room below them for tool box or whatever.
Real glass and roll up windows.
Huge window pillars block rear view mirrors.

All very minor issues. If they sold for 1/2 price, Id be a buyer. Oh wait, I did buy it!

Glad you have room in your garage for it !! - Now I am trying to make room in mine for your old one :slight_smile:
Oh, and the two seater I am about to come get - maybe.

She still has it?
It’s a nice car.
Do you need batteries for it?
I’m trying to buy another Spark, and I have to LiFePo4 here.
Also a 12s volt if you can’t get the Bolt cells.

Still need to reach out to her, It will need batts - likely to with two 12S Votls in the two seater.
Trying to work out the Bolt cells with Grant still, waiting on a response. Hope we are good there.

My brother might have 2 12s from 2012 for cheap. He sold a lift without the batteries.
I don’t think I have a matching set. 1-2012 and 1-2015.
I can look if you come back for the E2.

Sounds good @Inwo - I will let you know shortly

@inow
I am new to the forum and wondering if you still sell the MM? I just purchased an old e825 with a T1 controller and installed prius batteries. ( I know they are not the best but the price was right) It runs great but I am limited on the top end. If you still sell the MM or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize that this was off topic, I could not find a way to contact you directly.

Thank you
Darren

Yes, now with dip switches.
$125

Ooh enjoy that blue because they just discontinued that color and red as well. Ya the plastic panels are extremely thin (and sharp) and guess what component gets damaged first if you hit a pole head on… Id really advise getting a bumper for that investment. Other than that its a true Polaris machine through and through. Did yours come with a backup camera?

Oh and unless you got the upgraded charger don’t forget about the new “Charge Cord Upgrade” receptacle they now include standard that uses a J1772 male connector terminated on a regular extension cable (this cord does not have the communications protocol and therefore, cannot be used with public charging stations) that cost $350. Their reasoning is to seal out moisture and “full-insertion mechanism that includes an audible click and visual confirmation that the plug is fully inserted.” Like we don’t know when the plug is fully inserted in. I chuckled when I saw they made that change. It just plugs into a delta q lol.

Drew first blood taking the hood off.
Pita for someone who spends more time under the hood than behind the wheel.
Ordered magic magnet parts to build proof of concept.
Small chance of it working. I recall reading that encoder modification was tried on a golf cart, and did not work.
My hope is that Polaris did not limit Hz, but only the speed limit. By doing that, speed limit could be changer to match tire size and markets.
Wishful thinking I’m sure. If possible, it would have been done by now.

Ya never grab the hood by the headlight holes and be careful around the wheel wells, sliced the crap out of my knuckle torquing lug nuts. Pay attention to the grommets that initially secure the hood as they wear out easily and rot away in the heat.

I have grommets missing. Knuckles too. :slight_smile:

Got a truck today.

Is that a Dongfeng mini truck? So many small LSV companies would use their body and chassis and setup their own driveline and power system. GGT electric does exactly this.

Looks like it. Miles did this one.
Front motor. Drive shaft to rear. Haven’t looked yet. Ac motor? 72v?

Yes ac motor, Curtis controller 96v. Very well designed from Dongfeng but GGT didn’t do the best at retrofitting but its a lsv so not a big deal. Thought it was cool it has a heater/blower and an option to add air conditioning as well. You could buy a gas powered one straight from China so I can see why people here are doing it.