My new Gem was delivered today

I think mine has ac. (Air)

I eyeballed something like that for a long time before I ended up with my GEM. Those are super cool. I’ve seen all sorts of weird bed configurations on the back of those.

35mph in second gear stock. :slight_smile:
Power brakes, drives and steers like a real highway vehicle.
Hauled 1,000lb battery on it. Now I wish that I had a cherry one.
One (or two) of my Tesla batteries fit easily, but I need a nicer vehicle to justify the cost. ($4k)
Will Grant have the first 250 mile Gem car?

@Inwo -
When you say Tesla battery you mean a single module right? not the whole 40,60,70kw pack…
I don’t remember what the Ah’s are on a single module from a Tesla pack?
I assume these are the 18650’s and not the new 2120,s?
Sounds like a cool project, I would really like to put a Tesla drive unit and battery modules in my Polaris slingshot and get rid of that ICE.

1 Like

Over 4,000 7120s:

Tesla Model 3 Battery 2170 Cell 21700

About 75kwh

Oh so you did get the new cells - nice. But you don’t plan on putting the full 75kwh in a GEM? Do you!!
I get 325 miles in my Model 3 with that battery. You could have a 600 mile GEM Car. LOL

1 Like

Or a 150 mile with a single module.

I have no plans for them. I see them selling for as low as $2500 per module. 80v 233ah 20kwh.
I can do much better if I don’t have to ship them.
The only way that I can see them in a Gem is under the frame in a lifted car. Only 4" tall but 6’ long.
Grant is measuring, I think. His new Gem is 48v though.

1 Like

How wide are they? Might slip between the frame rails - I would be interested in playing ball as well.

1 Like

12" wide.
Let me know your ideas. Should be fine under car, that’s where Tesla hangs them.

1 Like

I don’t think 4-5 inches would be a problem.
Especially if you ran larger/Taller wheels.
I could also see if you made a Frame that surrounded the battery and held it. You could cut out a section of the frame and counter sink the new battery holder into the frame. I guess it just depends on how bad you want or need a 200+ Amp Hr Gem. It would be cool to have a car that you had power to waste!

Turn ur gem car into a Tesla Power wall. LOL your gem car powers your house when your not using it.

1 Like

Or drive out of state, exclusively using back roads.

1 Like

@Inwo @grantwest
We need to start a new thread on this but, One would defiantly fit down the center of the frame between the two frame rails (on a 08 - 09). You would have to move a couple of cables a little but lots of room.
With the correct bracket fabed you could fit one down each side of the frame as well (on the outside of the frame rail) between the frame rail and the body.
Is 80V the max charge or avg. charge level?

1 Like

@grantwest
Running your house with your car is not new, it is done some in other countries. They call it V2H (Vehicle to House)
Here is an article that talks about it a little while trying to debunk Tesla’s power stations.

1 Like

The comments to the article pretty much sum up my thoughts. Who’d care to give up their range? Plus when the sun is shining I’ll be most likely driving around.

1 Like

Tesla 3 has two 23s and two 25s.
83v nom. and 97v max
90v nom. and105 max
The 25s needs to charge to 103v for good capacity. No one has pushed a 72v GE that far. The 23s are perfect.

Oh, you have my ATTENTION !!! on a 23s - that could be a fun project.

My neighbors waited a full 18+ months for his model 3. He would be so jealous if I put Tesla power in my cart.
I won’t (yet) as I’ve got volt power now. But these look like the next new challenge. Especially putting them in new style carts!
I’m staying tuned!

Dave , what’s the exact length of the 23s module ?

Still can’t believe Gwest is an AC guy now .

71" between hose couplers. 2 more inches of terminals that can be shortened.

@grantwest, I waited 24 months for my M3, but at least I had a Model S to tide me over on the wait :slight_smile:
I have owned A LOT OF CARS in my life, and I have to say without any dought this Tesla’s are the best two cars I have ever had. They have made me quite the fan boy.