Sway Bar

What do you think of post #31?
It was a serious idea!:smiley:

Dave/ I saw post #31 and I didnā€™t get it? It went right over my head. It sounded like some sort of electronic version of active suspension. If you could explain it a bit more so I could understand better I could comment.

The sway bar is nice because itā€™s mechanical and onece itā€™s set up it needs no adjustment and for the most part should require no Maintance Ect.

I didnā€™t expect anyone to actually try it. Only looking for comments.

If a a double acting cylinder was mount on each side. Same position as shock.

Cross connected, top of one to bottom of the other.

If both wheels move up or down together, air will move from one side to the other with little restriction. Top right to bottom left. Top left to bottom right.

When one wheel tries to move up by itself it would transfer pressure to make opposite wheel move same direction.

The basic principle seems sound. Only the engineering of piston/line size, static system pressure, flow control, and possible accumulator is left.

Google search finds nothing. It must have been done before.

Would it have some compliance or some give? When you find out more info let me see

Both wheels moving together would only be restricted by friction and line size.
One side by itself would take some engineering or trial and error.
The air volume in the cylinders may be enough cushion. Too much compliance would be decreased by pressurizing the system.

To increase compliance might use another more compressible gas. If there is such a thing. :slight_smile: Or a small accumulator.

The nice thing, it could be tuned.

On the other hand if it was practical, someone would be building an air shock with sway control built in.

Have not given it a whole lot of thought. I will never find the time to test theory. Besides, I have no sway problem! :smiley:

https://www.google.com/patents/US20060091635

Humm? Interesting idea/concept. How ever I have come this far with the current set up. The light at the end of the tunnel is here. I have not driven my gem in some time. I have been fixing a few items that have been lingering. Example when the rear sub frame broke. It cause the rear tires to rub on the inner fenders and bubble the paint. The fender was cracked at the mount points because of excessive vibration Ect. So I decided to re design rear fender mount. And that has taken some time, Inhad the fenders cracks fixed and re painted, and then of corse the Sway bar. So I should be back in business soon

Getting close

Hows the geometry? Runs thru full stroke with no binding?

Itā€™s hard to picture with no hands-on!

This is what it looks like when the car is sitting on level ground with the side covers on

No binding at all. the car turns almost completely flat now. I bet I can lower the air in the shocks now. The ride is good but it can always get better Iā€™ll lower the tire pressure just a bit and see how it rides

Looks good!:clap2:

At first I was a little skeptical. When I lowered the car on to the ground and moved it from side to side to simulate sway it seemed to move or sway a bit. But I guess once you load the bar and start to put some twist on it the bar Ramps up nicely. Example the first inch or so the bar moves quite easy but after that it gets quite stiff and the car turn nice and flat.

NICE installation Grant.

Grant
I cannot see any of your pictures. The stock pictures says I need to upgrade my account to enable 3rd party hostingā€¦ I am missing something here?

Sorry in advance for the long reply but The reason you canā€™t see my photos on this or any of the other threads I have posted numerous photos on is because of ā€œevil Photobucketā€

What they did was have people invest time and energy uploading their photos to Photobucket for a few years and get people comfortable and used to using their format Photobucket would host the photos and allow me to post them here thatā€™s called third-party hosting Well long story longer they now want almost $400 a year to allow third-party hosting. All my photos that used to be visible are now unavailable and for them to be available they want me to pay $400 a year sorry no thanks

Any updates? Would love to hear how it is working.Iā€™m worried I might be getting myself into the rabbit hole. Thanks