Rear Sway Bar 2016 +

Anyone have any suggestions. My 2016 could use with a Rear Sway Bar. When I took out the stock lead acid battery’s the cars rear suspension jacked up quite a bit (1-3) inches
The ride is fine but the handling could use some work. If you’re cornering sharp it feels un stable.
Im sure a rear sway bar would help things out.

Maybe one of a VW could be bolted to the ear of the GEM.
Warning: posted after many shots of Jack!

Suggesting parts of a Vw might hint you been slamming Jägerbombs.

The Rear suspension. Looks like it would be pretty straight forward to add a sway bar. There is a nice flat Aera for the bar to mount on the frame & the 2 independent struts even look like they have mounting points for a sway bar. I wonder if the Ranger or the Gem EM have sway bars?

Yep. Both do. And they both have fully independent, adjustable rear suspension

Yo @grantwest

Its the bar on top crossing over the coils on the shock

I can get pictures of a polaris 540 or 570 (i forget what model it is) tomorrow at work

Thanks for the Pic: I saw a video of what the rear sway bar looks like. Both look a bit short as far as the bar that reaches back to the Shock point on the rear. But it’s great Info to see how they are doing them

1 Like

Jr - Can you put a measure on that so we get some sort of thickness scale to target a potential donor bar when we see it?

If we were to use a Jäger infused suggestion it would be probably about 1/2 - 5/8 diameter.

The pic submitted above looks like 1" and more like what is needed for anti-sway.

2 Likes

The ones I remember on my Bug were pretty substantial. I never lowered it but with 7ply sidewalls I could do a pretty stable e-brake turn.

1 Like

@AssyRequired sure thing. I’ll try to get those eM measurments today or tomorrow along with more photos. Polaris will be when i can find it. We have one for the entire refinery, so people have a tendancy to hide it…

I’ll take some suspension measurements from the rear of my Gem, this way we know what bars could be candidates. I have seen a few used sway bars on Craig’s list For VW Golf’s.
I’m curious to know what size bar I should be looking for. To me it’s a total wild guess at the size of bar? Seems like where and how the bar mounts changes the leverage. Example the ranger sway bar might be a great starting point but if you’re not mounting it at the same attachment points then the leverage is gonna be way off. If your A arms or rear trailing arms are longer or shorter then again you’re a mile off. I’m taking the approach that a car in a close in weight and close in mounting points is a good start. Front wheel drive cars like the VW golf seem like a great place to start for me. Those cars do what seems like the same thing my gem does when you corner sharp. The rear inside wheel lifts or feels like it’s lifting.

Hummm

If it comes with that tablecloth, its totally worth it!

2 Likes

Here are some rough numbers for the rear suspension mount points for a potential swaybar

In a perfict world the bar would be about 33 wide and have arms that came back 16inches to the shock mounts

It’s been a while since I ran through the old pick-your-part scrapyards. Maybe with this info I should spend a day and bring a tape measure?

So this is what I’m thinking a 33inch splined bar mounted across the top it’s the one with the (red line)
Then use 16inch arms (the blue lines) that attach to the shock mounts.

Schroeder is a known Sway Bar manufacture.
They come in all sizes and lengths. Many can be found on the used market for $50-100 What Size (diameter) to use is a total shot in the dark. I have no clue how large of a bar to use.

I’m also having trouble understanding how they list the size and length.

Most are 48 spline at each end (understoood) but then they list a second # like 1-1/2 or 1-1/8th (what’s this #) and then a 3rd number as the overall thickness of the bar. I’ll post an example of a typical sway bar arm I’m looking to buy.

Why don’t sellers list the length.?? What am I missing. I need an Arm that’s 15-16 inch long.

Bigger is always better. Make sure it’s at least the size of your

Then you have Solid Bars & hollow sway bars!
To add options and confusion to the mix

they should call them “sway tubes” instead of calling them sway bars! Seriously, I had to look it up and hollow sway bars are larger in diameter but have better torsional properties than soldid bars of smaller size and higher weight. So it’s all about weight for the sway TUBES! :wink:

1 Like

Same reason your dodge cummins diesel has like a 3" driveshaft.

Remember the ihc scouts? Fvcking 1" stock driveshafts. Almost everyone replaced them with custom made larger diameter tubes. Guy i worked with way back when actually snapped one of the stock ones. Crawled under the truck, disconnected the pieces, put it in 4wd and drove it home as a front wheel drive. Lol.

1 Like