Saturn From SC2 to a EV 120 Volts DC

With the batteries in the car I had to put 2x4’s under the wheels to get the car off the hoist. I wanted to see the clearance on the wheels before I replaced the springs and struts. Less than one inch in the rear and 2 & 1/2 inches in the front.
First pic is of the rear passenger side "lowrider, LOL"
Second pic is of the drivers side theese are before I put in the mew springs pics with the batteries installed in the trunk
Third pic is of the front drivers side
Fourth pic is of the passenger side, the front looks ok for weight with the original springs, I am glad I orderded custom springs for the rear though.
Fifth pic is with the mdf board in and all the High Voltabe connections laid out to see possible configuratations and layout.

First pic is of the trunk actually closed with the batteries installed, I couldn’t get it to close and couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t stay shut until I noticed the latch had been bent out of position sometime while I was welding on the trunk. Problem solved.
Second pic is of the front again I will take better pics tomorrow, I have allot of high voltage parts to put into a small area.

all i have to say is wow, thats REALLY comming together well!

Glad to see its almost done. I cant wait for some video soon too :wink:

actually. are you going to test it physically to see how far it can actually go then get a flatbed to bring you back?

I got the struts and new springs installed today. The springs worked like a charm, I’ll post more pics tomorrow. I finished the motor mounts today and the engine is in it’s final position. I still have to make a mount for the half shaft, fill the transmission replace the rear brake lines and fix the interior of the car. Then all that is left is installing the electrical. The electrical should only take a couple of days, I am looking at having the car running this weekend or early next week.:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Dude All I can say is GREAT JOB looks nice. I can already hear the Ceos of all the oil companies dubbling up on there blood pressure medicine.

wow thats fantastic. like i said before… you need video :smiley:

I had to order a couple items from ev of america and they shoule be here by Friday. I got the mdf board painted the rest of the way this morning and took a few pictures.
The first two pics are of the rear of the car with the new springs and struts installed
The third is of the interior where my wires come in to the trunk area I used box electrical connectors to make the transition thru the metal so I wouldn’t have to worry about the connections wearing thru, emf connectors.
The fourth is of the wires under the car where they go into the trunk area
The fifth is of the front end after I spray painted it.

The first pic is of the front near the motor after I painted it
The secons is of the rear looking to the rear after I painted it
The third is of the rear looking forward from the rear bumper after I painted it
The fourth is mu MDF board before the cimponents are installed and after I painted it. That pretty much brings me up to date on what is done. I have to find a good wire to tap into today for the 12 volt system, then I’ll get to work wiring it and installing the mdf board.
The fifth is the High voltage wires in the engine compartment. I’ll get better pics of the route of the High voltage wires today so you can see how they are routed.

That was the catilist to this progect. I had been dreaming about building one of theese for years but it all came together with that movie. My deep desire to build a electric car. I strongly anyone to watch this documentry if they are interested in building a electric. Bob

Your project is looking great! Are you going to put some sort of shielding over those cables as they are routed underneath the car? You never know what you might hit on the road. I’ve hit everything from cabbages to sheetmetal (downed road sign). I’ve even hit a piece of rebar or a hammer or something that put a serious dent and gash in my floor pan. For this reason I will be routing my cable inside the car underneath the carpet.

Cheers

The cables are shielded by neopream hose, I had a heck of a time threading the cable thru the hose on the first oneeven though I used baby powder to make it easier, but the second one I put outside in my truck bed that is painted black and it softened up and was allot easier to get to go in. I don’t plan anymore shielding though.
I found the keyed 12 volt connection and ran it to the inertia switch I installed. cut out the ventilatation hole for the controller and it is ready to install tomorrow, I also got the fan ready to install. Cut the sbx 350 in half. Not much accomplished today, I did allot of brainstorming on how the controls are to be arranged and mounted to the mdf board. I think tomorrow will be much more productive, I hope to be driving the car this weekend. I am going to check into relicencing the title and see if I can get a tax credit as it is a new car, much more different than the original. I understand you need three different major components to qualify, 1 car origanal, 2 motor electric 3 controls for motor and various safety features. it sure would be nice if it did.:slight_smile: I will take more pics tomorrow.

What are your performance goals, hopes, or calculations for this project?

How much weight does your power system (batts and motor) contribute to total vehicle weight?

What kind or terrain will you be driving over? Hilly, flat, or mix?

Cheers

Here are the up to date pics that I promised yesterday
#1- #3 component arrangement I think is the best they are mostly bolted down
#4 A little better idea of where the wires are in where the exhaust ran so they are just about inside the car
#5 You can see the neopream hose covering the cables very tough
I’ll answer the questions later as It is time for lunch.
Thankyou for your interest, Bob

Hi Insane Diego, sorry that I didn’t get back right away about your questions, ! Performance Gosla: I want as much as posible out of this car I want to push the envelope for miles and also performance. realistically I expect to get 100 miles per charge before the regeneratation circut is installed and about 130 miles after, a 30 % gain.
Weight for the power system: I figure there are 12 batteries weighing 82 lbs each. 984 lbs about 100 lbs in controls and control board, I welded in about another 100 lbs of brackets and welding rod, and about 75 lbs of cable and lugs. About 1263 lbs.
Terrain: I will be driving on rolling hills around here but in a uear or two I will be hauling it behind my Gas guzzeling motorhome all around the country so all types of terrain will be encountered.

JEEBUS!!! 82 lbs per batt? What’s their capacity? So you’ll be running 144 volts? AC motor I’m guessing since you plan on regen. What kind of motor? Just a guess on weight, but it sounds like you’ll be somewhere between 3600 - 4000 lbs.

Cheers.

Keep it going! You’re almost there!

I won’t know the weight until I get it on the scale, but I took allot of components out too.

[QUOTE=new dawn;256]I won’t know the weight until I get it on the scale, but I took allot of components out too.[/QUOTE]

gosh i cant wait to see this thing!

I take that back. I got curious and checked the curb weight of a SC2. 2300 lbs. So now my guess is between 3000 and 3500 lbs when finished.

Cheers

The first pic is inside looking into the trunk notice the connections inbetween the batteries
The second pic is of the trunk Left side all the connections are made except for the 120 volt connection to charge the batery “12 volt” for the dc to dc converter
The third pic is of the drivers side trunk batteries all the connections are made.
the fourth pic is of the hood area on the passenger side all the battery connections are made
the fifth pic is of the hood area on the drivers side I still have to make lots of connections, I made theese pics larger so you could see the detail if you want a larger size I will email them to you just ask.
There are more and I will post them later tonight as they are too big to post here.
I still have to do the rear brake lines, add trans fluid fix the interior and sterio, remove the clutch pedal install the heater “it can wait for cooler weather unless the police require it”, install the vaccum pump and controls, and do some more major wiring. Also reinforce the mdf board it has got quite heavy as you can see.

#1 is of the front battery pack all hooked up
#2 is moving to the right the shunt is not connected just siting there and will be connected on the bottom of the board all the space on the top is taken
#3 is all the way right from the front
#4 is a backup view of the front
#5 is a duplicate of the last submision but you can see the red button center bottom that is the inertia switch, I still have to fuse it at 10 amps it feeds the board for 12 volts and is only on when the key is on.

I just want to give some recognition to my step father who came over today and crimped the 2 0 wire connections, I could not do that yet as my hand is still healing from surgery. Thanks Dad for being there for me.