Saturn From SC2 to a EV 120 Volts DC

I worked on the tray all yesterday, welded it together and fitted it, I showed my wife as proud as could be and tried to get the lower mock battery in and it wouldn’t fit.:mad: I have to cut the tray apart and the lower one has to be bolted to the top tray, so I can install it before I put the top tray in.:slight_smile: If I ever get theese trays figured out and installed I think the rest will be easier.

#1 is do the clutch after machining, #2 is the reverse side of the clutch and the allignment tool, #3 is the plate to bolt to the motor and trans, this is the trans side, #4 the reverse side of the plate the motor side. #5 Motor, clutch and plate bolted together and ready for installatation.:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: notice the allignment tool in place to line things up it easily slid out for bolting to the tranny

#1 My son grinding on rear battery compartment #2 My son welding on rear battery compartment #3 My first attempt at the front battery tray #4 The front battery tray today, I still need to modify it but it is getting closer to something that will work. #5 Installing the clutch to the motor, there are several steps to do this and this is the first step. I lost a couple of others as I shut off my camera too soon and the pics wern’t stored on the hard drive, a mistake I’ll not do again.

#1 Taking the motor out of packing box #2 Motor out #3 Box removed #4 Mounting plate attached to motor, Notice the paint on the plate I used this to mark the locatation of the trans and sisn’t scribe the metal, also the plate has been trimmed of some excess metal. #5 Motor plate cleaned of paint.:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Here are the last two I have today, #1 Lifting the motor to put into the car #2 in the car bolted to the tranny readu for the motor mounts. I will post more in a couple of days.

Awesome! So how close would you say that you are to driving this beauty?

I was hoping to have it on the road at the end of the month but it will be more like the end of the first week of June. I just about finished the front battery trays today. I have to reinforce the 12 volt tray and build a bracket to hold it down, and weld one more support on another front tray then the front trays will be finished with the fabricatating phase. I have to find some heavy hard plastic to line them with on the outside and put in the insulatation. then all is ready for the batteries.:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I will post more pictures tomorrow of the compleated trays, it was a real brain teaser to fit four up front plus all the rest of it!!!

wow this is looking fantastic, i cant wait to see it moving arround. where in MI are you located?

I made a major stride forward yesterday, the front battery boxes are compleate. Insulatation and all, I may have to add tabs on the corners to hold the insulatation in but they can be added later. I have to make a hold down bracket for the 12 volt battery and today I am going to concentrate on the rear battery box, it should be easy compared to the front. Here are some pics from different angles of the front. The first three pictures are of the boxes in the car without batteries or insulatation, the fourth picture is of the vacuum switch for the brakes, the fifth is of the batteries.

Various pics from different angles of the batteries in the box without the insulatation.

#1 Notice in the lower right of the pic my 12 volt car battery . same on #2. #3 different angle. #4 different angle #5 batteries installed with insulatation
You might ask why so many pics of the same thing, It took me major hours to figure theese particular trays out, I would try one way just to be shot down over and over. But my son Jim came up with the final idea that works quite well, Thankyou Jimmy I spent many hours pondering this problem and now it is solved!!!:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I have been welding today on the rear battery compartment and it is coming along nicely. I have to go out of town for three weeks unexpectadly, so I will have to finish after I get back.

are you going to have it finished before you hit sunny florida? Can’t wait to see you U.B., love florida bird nut!

I just got in from working on the car, it is 11:35 I have been working on it since about 1:00 pm 12 & 1/2 hours. it is time to eat. LOL Most of the welding is done. I still have to put in some supports to transfer the weight further into the center of the car. and a couple of straps to the top frame. I will post more pictures tomorrow afternoon of the progress. once the welding is done I will put in a thin piece of steel in the bottom tacking it in. Then the insulatation, then the batteries.

I have most of the welding done on the rear compartment, got my steel floor tacked in caulked the compartment and insulated the bottom today. I had to run to Home Depot for more wire for the welder, as I still have at least one more day of welding to do to the rear compartment.
The first picture is of the springs for the rear they are +360 lbs custom wound
The second picture is of the rear under with two angle iron welded in to stiffen the compartment
The third pic is a view from the top with a center support welded in
The fourth is from under and from the rear
The fifth picture is of brackets that are welded to the subframe on the right of center and left of center you have to look closely to pick them out they are welded to the center support and go the subframe on both sides, to help with transfer of weight.
it is taking more time than I anticipated for the fabricatation.

The first pic is of the straps again
The second pic is of the right strap a little better idea of it’s function
The third pic is of a old taurus hood I had laying around it was used for the floor of the battery compartment in the fourth pic notice the caulk around the outside edge to make it airtight.
The fifth pic is the insulated compartment

on the under side of the car, make sure to rubberize the underside since winters dont act too kindly to cars up in this neck of the woods. at least you guys have sand and not salt like us…

I finished the box today and went to put them in. It was a snug fit, too snug I tried to shut the trunk and WHAMMY!!! it wouldn’t close. I should have known! :frowning: A little thought and a little more welding and I have solved my delimma. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I am going back out to work on it maybe with a little luck I will finish the boxes tomorrow. LOL I have to figure out how to restrain the trunk batteries still. Good Suggestion on the winterizing we do get salt here too, lots of it. LOL LOL LOL

[QUOTE=new dawn;173]I finished the box today and went to put them in. It was a snug fit, too snug I tried to shut the trunk and WHAMMY!!! it wouldn’t close. I should have known! :frowning: A little thought and a little more welding and I have solved my delimma. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I am going back out to work on it maybe with a little luck I will finish the boxes tomorrow. LOL I have to figure out how to restrain the trunk batteries still. Good Suggestion on the winterizing we do get salt here too, lots of it. LOL LOL LOL[/QUOTE]

as for winterizing… just make sure to clean the underside, then do a flat black spray paint then do the ruberized coating over that (either brushed on or what ever) and it will help a ton, especially since all those batteries will be alot of weight and you will want to keep the strength there in the frame.

I fixed up a battery restraint for my motorhome today and I noticed the height could be a problem, I have to lower it 1 inch as it could cause a arc, it is so close to the terminals. The box in the rear of the car is at the same height and will have to be lowered also. I didn’t notice this until I hooked up the wires.

I finished the boxes today :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I am happy with thier placement, all I have to do is tie them down. I am going to use nylon straps with hooks on the ends.
First pic is of the drivers side, ready for batteries
Second pic is of the passenger side ready for the batteries
Third pic is of the rear ready for the batteries
Fourth pic is with the batteries installed
Fifth pic is the inside looking back with the seats down into the trunk area.