Nd. Gem owner crook scammer

Ok so short summary.
Dave sells a battery to this guy Jay.
Jay pays David threw pay pal $2700 (goods and service’s) Dave gets the $2700

(the battery is in Ca at Scott’s)

Scott ships the battery to this guy JAY in ND

Jay gets the battery and claims it’s damaged in shipping Jay Files a claim with Pay pal.

Pay pal deducts $2700 from David.

Ups pays scott $270 for shipping cost.

In short Scott gets paid for the shipping. David gets Fucked Jay gets a $2700 battery for free

2 Likes

something is missing with UPS insurance only paying the shipping cost for goods they damaged…

So this is what I gather.
This guy Jay claims this

Dave sent a battery to Scott.
Jay pays David pay pal $2700
Scott sends Dave’s battery to Jay & jay claims scott only insures Dave’s battery for $100 in insurance.

Jay receives Dave’s battery & claims it’s Damaged

Jay files a claim with “Pay Pal.” And pay pal deducts $2700 from David.

Jay feels he entitled to “keep the $2700 battery”from David because ups has paid Scott the $207 in shipping

“What’s Missing” is it was shipped through a GoShippo account, that automatically places the insurance through a third party insurer, UPS payed the initial shipping price, plus $100 (the base liability). ShipSurance pays the balance, Jay Claflin refused to cooperate with ShipSurance, (photos, shipping and packaging materials etc.) Also sent this guy a prepaid label to return the battery, he refused. This guy is a real snake.

1 Like

Actually, I paid $150 for a return label that was sent to Jay Claflin (David was also CC’ed) Jay said he was keeping the battery for “evidence”. I spent 4-5 hours of phone time and facetime, helping him and his ■■■■■ uncle get the battery in and running (prior to his filing the damage claim, and him stopping payment) When contacted about the stop payment, he stated “Although the battery works fine now, I have no idea if something might come up down the road, that is why I filed the claim” Note, He stopped payment a full 2 weeks prior to UPS decision on claim.

I get it now. “Jay claims” I missed that.
Scott insured battery for full amount. It may have been a special insurance company.

UPS will never ever pay a claim. I know this for a fact. Even when losing 1 of 4 boxes between terminal and clients house. This actually happened to me.

Claim will be paid, according to Scott, soon as battery is in their possession. For all I know, they may let Jay take it to them for inspection.

He will not do this of course. Battery is working fine and in his car. A Ford Think, IIRC.

Even if insurance paid in full, Jay has no moral right to keep battery. Would make no difference to me who has possession once I’m made whole. It will bother me to no end letting a scammer win. I can live with that though.

Scott trusted this guy and deserved better. Jay was a referral from a business associate. Unknow to either of us. Most LSV owners are an honest bunch. First time scammed ever!

Small claims court? Wonder if there’s a way to do this without having to actually go to ND?

Mechanics lien on the Think if we could figure out his license plate or VIN?

PI to take pictures of him driving the Think with the battery in it? Then we go to PayPal and say the battery is operational, he filed a fraudulent claim… There’s got to be a fraud angle to this…

2 Likes

Defiantly a fraud case. Scott didn’t Jay tell you that he had scammed a Mobilty Scooter is the same way he Scammed you & David. David why don’t you call the guy on the phone

There’s got to be a fraud angle to this…

I totally agree- I almost suggest switching this topic to private so it is not easily discoverable and he doesn’t know of the storm about to come his way.

2 Likes

Yes, I told him that UPS would require the battery back if he filed a damage claim, (I originally refused to file a replacement damage claim since the battery was fine, I told Jay I had to sleep at night, so I would not lie) Then he stopped payment on the battery. He stated he did the same thing with an electric scooter, He got a refund, and got to keep the scooter. He said the battery was working fine, he wanted to submit the claim for future possible failure. Let me send him the $207 that UPS paid, And he return the battery. This was planned from the start, this guy is a weasel. This is a prime example of only using friends and family on cash apps. I say sue him and get him in court. I will spend whatever to appear to keep this little snake from winning.

Can anyone find out where Jay Claflin works? I have an idea…

Hearing that name brings to mind Andy Kaufman’s alter ego. :grinning:
You know? A fake name like Biggus Dickus.

Tony Clifton is alive and well.

Here’s an idea…….

Send a letter stating exactly what happened to any and all addresses surrounding the shipment address. Ask politely for help, with pictures and any other info?

I am guessing that one of the recipients of the letters would be happy to help out. This is because most people don’t like scammers.

I’ve actually seen the above work. Pier pressure can really go a long ways.

Just make sure that whatever you put in the letter is the absolute truth with no embellishments. That will protect you legally.

Dave…… I appreciate everything you do for the Gem community. Please don’t let this event change you!

1 Like

How about we join the next door app in his neighborhood and post your story in a thread where all of his neighbors can see what he’s been up to

Let’s get some Google images of his house. Perhaps we can even get a picture of his think

1 Like

Well the house listed in PayPal if frikin HUGE…

1 Like

We need to see it google earth

He’s probably squatting or the owners are buried in the back yard or locked in that huge workshop just down the private road abit. :wink:

First, damn. I love this forum and the expertise, and hate the fact anyone screws that up. F%^&* scammers.
Second, i would look into the local cops on both ends, and also state insurance regulators. it is usually a felony to submit false insurance claims.
Fla has a specific set of insurance cops, Investigative and Forensic Services. and
ND Fraud Investigation Division

The Fraud Investigation Division is responsible for conducting investigations on behalf of the public.
Since insurance fraud affects both consumers and large companies, it gets ‘different’ attention from political machines and bureaucracies.
interstate fraud also brings in the postal service if ‘anything’ related was mailed.
please help make the full power of government rain hell on this guy.
as a Floridian, we see that messing with retired people who have time to call elected officials’ offices for help, particularly right b4 elections shows persistence pays off. DM if you think I can help.

1 Like

I have handled UPS damaged shipping items before with other sales. My experience is that you contact UPS and file a damaged shipping claim. Usually this is the sender. Then the buyer puts the item in the original shipping box and it gets sent to UPS for evaluation. They need to inspect the packing. If the item is fully damaged and the shipping box was packaged in a durable fashion, they will retain and fully reimburse the item to the full insured amount. Was the insured item identified as a battery? I know there are special requirements for shipping items that contain chemicals. Anyway if damage is not severe or if the items was sufficiently packed, it goes back to the shipper. The shipper reimburses the buyer.