Nd. Gem owner crook scammer

Jay decided he wanted a new battery for free. Claimed ups damage and refused to return battery to @ScottyD and myself.
We of course can’t collect from ups without proof of damage and inspection.

Case details

Case ID:
PP-R-ELG-454976160

Disputed amount:
$2,750.00 USD

Buyer info:

Jay Claflin
jayclaflin@gmail.com

Shipping address:

1001 Crying Hill Dr
Mandan, ND 58554

Date reported:
July 21, 2022

Transaction ID:

8V317448GY165761N

Transaction amount:
$2,750.00 USD

Additional Info

Note from Jay Claflin:

Scott can add Jay’s address where battery was shipped.

That sucks…sorry Dave. Not cool.

Damn, that sucks Dave and Scotty. What’s this wanker’s screen name?

I had similar story when I sold a $600 Rumba vacuum to a guy in Pennsylvania. I told the story to a local cop who took it upon himself to do some background investigation and write to the purchaser as well as contacting his local Pennsylvania Authorities. The guy immediately paid the bill. I’m from ND and I believe they would act on this. They are no nonsense about crime.

1 Like

Wow that sucks. Seems like it would be easy enough for UPS to find out if they did or did not refuse to ship it back. Contact your local police and they will contact the police where the guy lives and press charges. I had something similar. I couldn’t go directly to the crooks police for whatever reason. They made me report it to my local police. Might be different where you live. Florida is a little ass backwards sometimes.

@ScottyD will you get me any information you have on Jay to turn over to Nd. law?
Address and phone number.
Any recordings, messages or notes, from his criminal activity.

I’m curious where this guy came from?
FBk? Referral/Word of mouth?
With a little more info we should be able to find out the story on this guy.

Sooner or later this car might pop up somewhere.

Another note - don’t ship anywhere but the verified Paypal Address - does not stop this from happening but it does give you a solid lead and helps keep down the confusion.
This really sucks.

Scotty found him.
No question about him receiving and making use of the battery.
He was very clear, package was insured, make a claim so he could get battery for free.
To be clear, sheet metal mounting brackets were bent, and shock sensor was tripped.
Legit claim? Maybe.
No problem, let us replace it.

After speaking with David, he told me about the guy who ripped him off with the battery I encouraged David to post his story here on the fourm to see if anyone here could help David with getting this taken care of. David has helped us all here on the Fourm’s and is an all around great guy. It would be awesome if we could all pull our internet and local resources together to track this guy down and have him pay up or ship the battery back. $2700 is not a small sum of money to forget about. Any help to track this guy down or encouragement to make him either pay up or return the battery would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Yep- some digging.
Looking for Jay Claflin does not come up with much. Maybe an alias?
Address search comes up with the following:

Kautzmann Management & Investment
1001 Crying Hill Dr
Mandan, ND 58554

Delora Kautzmann
(701) 663-3223

Kautzmann Management & Investment is the only company located at 1001 Crying Hill Dr, Mandan, ND 58554

Following this thread a bit more finds this:

Denae has an associate degree. Current occupation is listed as Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance Occupations. 1001 Crying Hill Drive, Mandan, ND 58554 is the current address for Denae. We know that Peter Anderson, Anderson Kautzmann, and two other persons also lived at this address, perhaps within a different time frame. (701) 663-3223 is the phone number for Denae. Public records show that the phone number (701) 663-3223 is linked to Peter Kautzmann, Anderson Kautzmann, Peter Anderson

Michael Anderson | Mandan, North Dakota
701-471-1920
Addresses:
1001 Crying Hill Dr, Mandan, ND
Relatives:
Denae H Kautzmann, Erika A Anderson, Peter J Anderson

Peter Kautzmann

Mandan, ND

Residents of 1001 Crying Hill Driv, Mandan, ND 58554 include Peter. Peter Anderson, Anderson Kautzmann, and two other persons spent some time in this place. Peter has one phone number registered: (701) 663-3223 (Qwest Corp). There is a chance that the phone number (701) 663-3223 is shared by Denae H Kautzmann, Anderson Kautzmann, Peter Anderson

Keep digging folks. This is how people like this get discoverd .

Jay, lays legal claim is to get free battery, insurance claim being filed.
Scott reports insurance settlement of $200 to pay shipping cost.
Until Jay returns battery shipping insurers will not pay more.

Seems to be on shakey ground legally.
It is not Jay’s to own if he will not pay for it. Ownership goes to the insurance company, if they ever pay. Imo
It seems cooperating could get ownership of a slightly damaged product at very low cost.

Jay’s reply to Grant:
"Dear Mr. West,

The battery was bought through Mr. Scott Duburg and all emails between him and I were CC’ed with Mr. David Bissen. The UPS insurance claim was approved on 7/21/22 for the damage it sustained in transit. Mr. DuBurg and Mr. Bissen received confirmation of the UPS claim approval. I have never been in direct contact with Mr. David Bissen. Mr. Bissen’s PayPal was the one used for the purchase and the battery was sent by Mr. DuBurg. UPS informed me the payment would be to the sender, Mr. DuBurg. American Express was contacted due to me never receiving a refund after the claim was approved by UPS. Amex refunded the purchase price due to the claim being approved by UPS and UPS sending payment to the sender, Mr. DuBurg.

I am no longer legally liable for returning the damaged battery due to the insurance payout for the cost of the battery by UPS. I would recommend contacting Mr. DuBurg to ask where the insurance money is located so Mr. Bissen can be made whole. "

@Inwo Check FB messenger, I just sent you a copy of the UPS settlement check for $207 (cost of shipping). Jay Claflin refuses to return battery! UPS wants battery before a full claim is paid. The guy is a snake and a loser.

Are there any pictures of this “damaged battery”?? A bent tab or bottom lip is not a big deal.

If it was THAT bad then he should never have signed for it.
If there was any doubt the driver should have waited and Jay should have inspected the contents in front of him.

I hope you don’t think I was questioning you. :frowning: I was just quoting Jay’s opinion.