Lifted

EZ Steer column was delivered today, Thank you :slight_smile: I will have the old column shipped to you on Tuesday.

Great Thank You…

Is this steering rack installed upside down? This would explain why whoever did this had to grind a notch in the transmission to clear the steering column…
I bought a new steering rack and will be installing the EZ Steer as I am installing the lift brackets.

If the rack is is reversed it will steer opposite of the steering wheel input. Where did you get this cart ? I just sold a roller to a dude in Pinnellis Park that the rack was in wrong.

I bought this locally in Southern Cal earlier this year. It had 1700 miles on it. Not sure why this steering column is hitting on the gear box… I will keep you posted as I continue installing the lift, new steering rack and EZ Steer :slight_smile:

Here is what your Rear Shock Mount should look like.

Here is a video of the install

Hmmm

Is the gearbox in the cart the right way??? Motor on passenger side.

That is part of the lift kit I sold Grant 5 or 6 years ago.

YOU DA MAN GRANT!!!

Motor is on the driver side!!! Wow I can’t believe someone put this cart together like this. I had it go to the Local GEM dealer too when I bought it to have them check it out and install new axles and disk brakes and they said we don’t know why your steering column it rubbing on your gearbox but you should buy a newer GEM from us as yours is not right lol… I will now make it right and keep you guys updated…

Email me for service manual rodneyadiehl@aol.com

OK, front subframe assembly is out of the GEM. I am thinking that at this point I should put a new gearbox and motor in preparation for the lithium conversion that will come next. What would you recommend R4F or GE stock motor?

And your local GEM dealer didn’t notice installation was backwards? Don’t think I would go back there…

I know. He was trying really hard to sell me one of their GEMs telling there was something wrong with mine and they could not figure out what it was and that I should get rid of it…

Why put a new gearbox in? The 8.9 and 10.35 from 2000-2004 are great gearboxes. Unless you want to change the ratio, just turn it around and put it back in. 2001 should be an 8.9. If you are climbing hills, loading the cart down, or larger tires, the 10.35 might be better. 8.9 is great for speed on the flats.

The GE short motor that you have is not a bad motor, but doesn’t hold up to high RPM. Rated RPM is 4100, I don’t recall it being able to take a lot more than that.

Save yourself a few hundred and get the D&D speed motor. It’s the same motor that R4F re-brands and sells. 5k rated, you can spin them to about 6k.

Here, speed calculator:
https://spicerparts.com/calculators/transmission-ratio-rpm-calculator

PS: you’ll also need a programmer or software and the cable to raise the maximum speed of the cart.

What jrjarva said The 8.9 is great with 21 inch tires and is good for over 40 MPH. The short motor is ok for stock but will fail if pushed possibly taking out the controller. Get rid of it.

OK Got it. The D&D speed motor is selling for $919 vs $849 for the R4F incl controller reflashing. What am I missing?

Old houseboater has a few refurbished motors for $450 . Great deal

I have a 5hp with less than 1000 miles on it -
I also have a 7hp with unknown miles.
Both for a very good price.

You’re not, their naming is inconstant and my description was less than adequate. That’s the “torque & speed” you linked to. I meant the blue motor, aka “speed”**. My R4F motor is a model #170-501-0002D. This corresponds to the “blue” motor @ $804. Looks like they raised their prices too since I last looked.

All R4F did when I sent them my controller was raise #20 “Overspeed” from 28 to 35 and lower #7 “Min field current” from 85 to 75. For about that same difference (give or take), if he has any, you can get an interface cable from Dave @Inwo and just look around for the GE Sentry software.

I would have no problem buying a used motor from Rodney or Mike either if they have a motor that will fit. Unfortunately, you can’t just shove any motor into the old GEMs. Late model (post 2005) “long” motors won’t fit in a 2000-2004 without changing how you mount the passenger side shock.

**vs the green, “hi-torque” motor, as opposed to Grant’s D&D torque motor, which is like 50% larger than the hi-torque and weighs 20+lbs more… yeah, clear as mud, eh?

I am installing shock top relocation brackets while I’m at it so a long motor would fit right?

I can’t say. The short is about 9-1/2" and the long is about 10-1/2"

Here’s how Rodney did it.