Longer Gem Car Shocks

My 2008 had the traditional sagging rear end that most cars of this era have. The stock 08 shocks were like 10 inches eye to eye simply replacing the stock shocks was not gonna do anything to kick the back end up. I found a some what easy solution. I found that the stock shocks on my 2013 were like 14-1/2 inch long. Just what I needed. The extra 4+ inches the longer 2013 shocks is just what I need to give the rear fender the extra space between the rear wheels

Here is a Before photo of what I’m talking about, ya see how close the rear fender is to the tires

Have a pic of it with the longer shocks? Curious how much it lifted it overall, kind of have same issue on my 2002.

Thanks!

Late models will lift 1 inch per added length. Early years with angled shocks will lift 2 inches per inch of added length.

I weld extensions to the bottom of the shock for added length.

Rodney

The Longer shocks should make the car sit in the rear like this car (one on the left)

Here are the longer shocks installed

Do you know anywhere to get the longer 2013 shocks? I have not been able to find them online anywhere…

Yes Your gonna have to get them threw the dealer

Where did you get those rim on the car in the left hand pic? and what size are they? Both cars look great!!

Those are 17 inc G line wheels. You can get them shipped to you. They are like $1400 shippped. Let me know if your intrested

I found out last night my front shocks are 10 1/2 eye to eye and my rears are the longer 13".
I thought I read someplace they were all 13.

I already did a subframe lift and extended my mounts so it’s no big deal, just thought it was interesting.

Yes that’s strange what year is your car? 13’s must be a longer shock then normal because I agree Normally they are all shorter and all the same length.

On my 2013 the fronts are shorter the. The rears

You guys have had more of these than me, I’ve only had one, but whoever said it first sure is correct.

“Every single GEM is slightly different in tiny ways”

Sorry that’s right you have a T-3 car.

I bet your car came with the short rear shocks.
Look for a thread called longer shocks. It’s exactly what your talking about. Some early cars had a serious slump in the back. They had the short shocks. To make the car sit level it needs the longer rear shocks. My guess is some gems had all 4 shocks that were the same height.
The rear end of the car should have had a shorter Eye to eye mount point that made it so the 10 inch shock made the car sit level. But what I think they did was they used the chassis from the 2002 with the LONG eye to eye mounts so the shorter 10 inch shocks made the car slump. Some gems have 2 shock mount holes in the rear so u can un the short shock and raise the car by simply using the longer shock mount hole

I think I had my GEM 24 hours, then made brackets for the lift. :smiley:

Thanks to your guidance of course.

That a Boy. Like I said I have seen Gems with a factory “Shock mount” that does Exactly what your brackets do the car has 2 rear shock mount positions “ short vs long shock” I think they decided to use up existing stock and not sell the cars with 2 different pairs of shocks, (makes sense)

1 Like

So those shocks I posted earlier weren’t even close. They bottomed out with nobody in the car. Back to the google machine