Incomplete thought Lift vs Lowering

Hey all,

After seeing another lifted thread I started thinking… I know from previous research on golf carts in general the rule of thumb is to put a lift on them to make them go faster. I haven’t really thought why that is exactly only that it seems it would take more wind resistance, so curious why it makes them faster.

For my use case I am all private roads and would actually like to lower it so it’s not so much a climb up into it as my aftermarket seats sit higher already. Any thoughts on downside to lowering the frame instead of lifting it? Shocks won’t have to have as much travel I assume so may open up additional non standard options, including an additional pair in front and back for a total of 8 load bearing shocks to take out all the little bumps from the decrease in travel length.

Thoughts??

Thanks!

M@

Depending on if you have lithium or still run lead, you won’t have to worry about the stiffness of the shocks. They are stiff.

I lifted my Gem 4" and stretched the front end 2". You could essentially do the same thing most lifts do in reverse. Relocate the front subframe mounts lower (instead of higher), this keeps your suspension exactly the same and still in alignment. The rear would be a little trickier. Instead of making brackets to make the rear spring mount points higher you’d have to do some sort of offset bracket. If you are comfortable with tig welding aluminum this would not be a problem. You can also just bolt on some brackets if not.

A much easier route might be to put smaller rims and tires on. The Gems already runs pretty low IMO.

If you are really feeling your Wheaties, put on a full airbag suspension. I think it would be neat to see a GEM sitting frame when parked. The parts will cost more than the GEM is the biggest issue.

Running 4x6s Volt modules so lost the weight. Already have aftermarket wheels installed so that can’t be an option due to wife saying what’s wrong with the wheels you bought last year…

Want to avoid welding if possible as I don’t have one and never used one before, though I have been eyeing up a couple of them from harbor freight just because I don’t have one and need a use for it.

Just figured if I reduce the shock travel length I may be able to find more options then the factory ol stiffies it rides on now. Not moving forward on it anytime soon, wrapping up a few things on it now then need to tackle steering issues.

Thanks!

M@

I don’t think people lift their GEMs to go faster rather they perform other mods to increase the speed while modifying the ride height. Larger wheels and tires being one of the common ones that would increase speed. I don’t think I’ve seen any lowered GEMs on this forum. I’ve seen a bunch of lowered golf carts when I was researching the hobby before buying our GEM. There are mass produced (relatively speaking) kits for those carts that make it easier for the DIY crowd.

Lowered 4", stanced🙄 , VW Snowflakes and modified bed. I like it, handles way better then factory and still has full travel… whatever that is…

Looks good, any details/pictures of how it was lowered?

Rear axle has extra mounts forward of the stock ones and front wad a simple pie cut and weld. 1 hour tops.