Lifted

Ok This thread Just got a Whole lot more
interesting.

#1 never seen a transmission installed the wrong way. And I think it’s Awesome
#2 backwards motor would have had them have to swap the Field or Amature wires to get the motor to sim the right way. LOL
#3 the Stearing shaft Now hits the Transmission!!! LOL LOL LOL
Can this get any better. No wonder Rodney doesn’t wanna build Or any more stuff. Imagine the “Technical Support hot line“ at Rodney’s House.

“Sir is your Motor on the Drivers or Passenger side of the car” Buhawwwwaaasaa! Ok sorry this is some Funny $hit. I know you didint do it and your a Innocent Victim but I’m sorry Thanks for the picS & being Honest $hit happens we all do stupid stuff (myself included) HOW CAN we Help you.

Think that when I bought this car earlier this year I sent it to the GEM dealer to have them go thru it all as I knew nothing about them… And they raked up a huge bill and did not figure it out even as they put new drive shafts and brakes on. Unbelievable.
I am glad I took this on myself now to fix it and make it better.
This makes for a good story on the forum for sure.
Thanks to ya’ll for your help.

I would think this would be a clear case for you to get some Of that money back from that dealer? That is just Insane?

Just a little update. Front end is back on the car with the lift brackets/spacer on. Now relocating the front shocks top to make room for longer motor.

@JarJarJava It that the motor you are refering to: https://ddmotorsystems.com/NEVMotors.php#FAQ1

Yeah, that appears to be the motor that R4F co-brands. #170-501-0002(x)

All lift brackets and shocks top mount relocating brackets are on. I will measure and align all before drilling the positioning bolts.
I decided to check the transmission while it was out all looks good only noticed low oil level. Will top the fluid level once back in the GEM.

Ok If I can give you some Tips for putting that diff cover back on.

Put a bead of gasket material (Blue RTV) Around the diff cover if you can do the same on the transmission. Then. Screw on the diff cover just a tad more then finger tight. Let it dry overnight and then Tighten it hand tight sung. If you tighten it down while it’s still wet most likely you will squeeze out all the Blue RTV and eventually have a leak.

Then once your car is on flat level ground take out the fill plug and Put in some nice thick Syenthetic Gear Oil. Mike KC said he likes the Royal Purple gear oil cause he thinks it’s more quiet then conventional gear Lube. I’m gonna have to try the Royal Purple next

1 Like

Tks, this is helpful.

Rear axle assembly all reinforced welded up ready to get painted before install

Steering column (EZ Steer thank you @Old_Houseboater ) is extended and mounted. Transmission @grantwest and new motor go in next.

T-2 and R4F next

Differential cover is on to dry overnight.

Test drove the lifted GEM today. Now that the transmission has been installed properly the car goes in reverse instead of forward and vice versa. My guess is that the motor cables had been switched at the controller level by the monkeys who had put everything backwards to make the car work… Shall I switch them back @grantwest ?. Can’t wait to get the R4F motor and T-2 controller next week.

Looking good.
Yes Just switch the F-1 and F-2 wires at the motor and you will be good to go.

I just noticed your diff cover has a “screw in” Drain plug. Most spicer transmissions have a
Plastic Plug. Did you add the screw in plug ?

The drain plug was like that. I swapped F-1 & F-2 and it runs good now Thank you. Next question is about how to mount the rear fenders now that the GEM is lifted with larger wheels/Tires. Not sure where to start. Use 3 rubber spacers in the back and 2 in the front (next to the Shock tops?

Looking good the Rear Sub frame retro fit looks nice and solid :+1:

Now you have to deal with the dreaded Rear Fender alignment issues. Gawd I don’t miss that 1 bit. The newer cars the rear fender is good to go stock no need to cut anything or alignment issues.

I ended up completely re making the rear fender mount. So that the rear fender on my Car never rubbed, but it’s was lots of cutting and adjusting .

Final fitting for the rear fenders today @grantwest . Nothing rubs even as I took the GEM on the dirt road leading to the beach. It drives smoothly with the 4inch lift and the new shocks, not to forget the EZ Steer by @Old_Houseboater

1 Like

Now I need to upgrade to a R4F motor. I got a used motor from @grantwest that is making some rattling noise so I am still driving the GEM around with my stock 3HP GE motor until we figure out what is making this noise… Here is a photo right after sunset tonight…