14 inch Ride 4 Fun

tires,and wheels. I just ordered a set of 14 inch six spoke wheels and tires from Ride 4 Fun. Now I need some advice on how to either raise the back spat,or radius the rear fender edges? I’ve tried to raise the spat with 1 3/4 inch blocks,but the holes won’t line up for the bolts, so that’s not gonna work. I seen these and I’m thinking about trying them on the E2? GEM Car Rear Fender Spacer-NEV ACCESSORIES Have any of you put 14 inch wheels on your E2? any ideas will be greatly appreciated.:slight_smile:

Did you ask R4F this question? Since they sell the wheels, I think they should be able to give you advice on how best to install them.

Yeah,they said that some are making riser blocks out of 2 X 4 lumber! I tried that but the mounting holes in the spat wouldn’t line up,since the back of the cab slopes back as it goes up!:frowning: On a whim I just decided to mount the spat back on and see how much clearance I would need? It turned out that I didn’t need any!:slight_smile: The tires don’t rub even in a off camber corner.:thumb: I don’t know if all 2010 E2’s are like this or not? One thing I have learned about Gem Cars is their standard,has NO standard!:smiley: Just got back from a top speed run, checking the speedo,against the GPS! The speedo still reads 26 mph,but the GPS shows 29.5 mph, so that’s about perfect with our town’s posted speed limit of 30 mph! :slight_smile:](Photo Storage)[/IMG]](Photo Storage)[/IMG]

Looking good!

Thanks!:slight_smile: I’ve had this car since 2010, but never added anything but the factory soft doors ( the zipper gave out on the drivers side,on those). It drives like a different car with the bigger tires and wheels on it now. Now I seem to be looking for more items for it all the time!:smiley: LOL! I still haven’t figured out how I’m gonna hook up the 12 volt ceramic heater though?:confused: I won’t run it much though, just enough to keep the windshield from fogging up (at least that’s the plan for now)!:smiley:

Hey Ron,
For hooking up accessories or the heater check out my post at the end of this thread. http://www.electricforum.com/cars/gem-e2-forum/8201-dc-converter-recall.html#post22373

You can tell you have looked after your GEM - looking good.

What kind of mileage do you get on a full charge?

Regards,

Mark

[quote=piper247;22442]Hey Ron,
For hooking up accessories or the heater check out my post at the end of this thread. http://www.electricforum.com/cars/gem-e2-forum/8201-dc-converter-recall.html#post22373[/quote]

Thanks,piper247!:slight_smile: I haden’t noticed that information. The heater (really small) is supposed to pull 15 amps max,so the 10 amp fuse might work,if not I could always use a 15 amp fuse in it’s place.

Well, I’m guessing that you aren’t using the recommend heater for the GEM. I can’t recommend replacing the 10 amp fuse with a 15 amp. While it might work, you run the risk of causing a fire from over loading the wiring. Keep in mind the converter supplying the power is limited to a certain output and exceeding that could be devastating. Before trying it be sure you find out what the limit is for your converter. (keep in mind they cost over $500) I know you don’t want to hear this, but in my opinion… stick with the 72v heater and 12v blower.

[quote=EvForum;22444]You can tell you have looked after your GEM - looking good.

What kind of mileage do you get on a full charge?

Regards,

Mark[/quote]

I average 25-27 miles on a charge. I hardly ever go more than 6 miles one way. My town is small and it’s only 3.5 miles across town,so I don’t get many (long range) trips in,unless I’m just out cruzing around town.

Yeah,I wasn’t thinking about that when I ordered this one!:o

I’m now thinking of hooking up the 12 volt heater directly to the batterys. I might make a harness,that puts the batterys in parallel,so it would pull the load off of all of them,but still be 12 volts. It shouldn’t be too hard to build.Here’s a link to the heater. http://www.ebay.com/itm/RoadPro-12V-Direct-Hook-Up-Ceramic-Heater-Fan-with-Swivel-Base-RPSL-681-New/111462751690?_trksid=p3693.c100102.m2452&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140212121249%26meid%3D0c100b0f18f7420da54158e6991e3ad6%26pid%3D100102%26prg%3D20140212121249%26rkt%3D4%26

Recommend you DON’T hook your heater up to the converter. Suggest for minimum use you hook directly to one battery. Rotate the battery you hook it to weekly. Use fat wires.

DC converters are EXPENSIVE.

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;22466]Recommend you DON’T hook your heater up to the converter. Suggest for minimum use you hook directly to one battery. Rotate the battery you hook it to weekly. Use fat wires.

DC converters are EXPENSIVE.[/quote]
How about the parallel set up? If it’s gonna pull 15 amps max,10 gauge wire should be plenty. My way of thinking is to build a harness (parallel) to all the batterys (6) and let them all share the load of the heater,at 12 volts! Am I missing something in this idea?

The heater arrived! It has a little more information on the box than was on the web/page. Seems like I’m gonna have to put a 30 amp in line fuse (not a big deal) into the power leads. Apparently it uses more power than listed in the web/page? ](http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/rksprs1/media/Hunting%20pics/Gem%20Car/006_zpsd65dac36.jpg.html)[/IMG]](http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/rksprs1/media/Hunting%20pics/Gem%20Car/0043_zpsa561306b.jpg.html)[/IMG]

Back to the original subject!:smiley: My wife took the Gem to Wal Mart last night,and after loading the stake back with groceries (a Lot) she had the tires to rub the top inside of the fenders a few times!:frowning: I was afraid this was gonna happen!:rolleyes: I tore it back down this morning and drilled new lower holes for the shock to fit in. This made the most sense to me,and it worked well!:slight_smile: I got almost 2 inches of lift to the rear end,and now my Gem sits level for the first time!:thumb: I loaded the “girls” (our two dogs), a Lab and a Golden Retriever,in plus 8 concrete blocks in the stake back bed. No rubbing no matter what angle the back axel is in,or cornering hard!:thumb: I never liked how the rear end of the car set lower than the front!:frowning: ](http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/rksprs1/media/Hunting%20pics/Gem%20Car/0033_zps8b9874d8.jpg.html)[/IMG]](http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/rksprs1/media/Hunting%20pics/Gem%20Car/0014_zps6a7b7caf.jpg.html)[/IMG]

Your batteries ar in series to obtain 72 volts. You cannot parallel them. For the little bit of time your going to run the heater tapping 1 battery at a time won’t hurt anything.

Ok!:slight_smile: I have two sets of posts on each battery. I will just connect it,to the unused posts on one of them.

Good idea, I’m going to do that with mine even though the tires (205-55-16) don’t rib on the eS like you, I don’t like the way it sits.

I also agree with old houseboater, don’t try hooking up to all the batteries, just use one and alternate between them periodically to keep from over using one battery. This isn’t a practice I subscribe to, but in your situation, if you’re diligent in swapping between all 6 batt. on a regular basis you should be OK.