Tire and rim upgrades

I did some homework and found that the standard 4X100 bolt pattern common in most imports form the mid eighties to mid nineties will fit my GEM. I have tried a stock steelie 15" Honda tire and wheel and it fit very well without rubbing.

Does anyone have experience using a 4X100 rim and tire combo?

I am looking for someone with 16" or 17" wheels with a low profile tire. What offset do you have? What tire are you running? Did you have to make any cuts to the body? How is affecting the overall speed vs battery life? How are your brakes holding up to the additional rolling weight of the tire package? How does it affect steering? And can you post pics of your wheel and tire combos-semi close up…

I want to run a 17" rim with Kumo or Yokohama 235/35/17…

go check out my post…and pics…im running 17s with street tires came of a import…46 mph with taller gears …does not like hills much, with out a lot of speed…batteries are fine…steering is good I did cut my front finders just a little…breaking is alittle slower but also remember I have doubled the speed from what the cart was designed for.

NOSGSXR… Hopefully that stands for GSXR-slingshot with NOS…If so,much Respect…

Just saw your pics, sweet. Did you run the 17"s before the gear change? Was it adequate? I am climbing wicked hills here so I am concerned about the motor heat pushing bigger meat up the hills but a quick motor change will solve that if this motor dies.
Have you seen the LED tape lights? I am about to install them and a color controler in mine. I will post pics of that when complete.

And now I have to run HID’s… Thanks for that one…

Be careful on the 4 vs the 400 there is about 1/16 difference. Steel no problem. Aluminum with the thick mounting holes = no go.

??? Not sure I understand this houseboater. Can you explain: the bolt pattern for the rims are 4X100 = 4x4.5, typical import 4 bolt wheel pattern for Nissan, Honda and Mazda. This is still used on the Honda Fit and some others.

Do you mean the aluminum rims are different than the steel rims?

What do you mean by 4 vs the 400?

Please elaborate…

yelp had a busa with a 150 shot…and a big bore kit (308hp)…kept getting run down by the turbo bikes now …we have a turbo busa …and well to say the least its a beast…521hp on the rear wheel…the NOS was good on the front half but the boost was no joke on the back half…like the old people say “you gotta get off the bottle, when you grow up”…thanks… lots of time and money spent for it to get to this point…

[quote=ApacheshoresGEM;23169]Just saw your pics, sweet. Did you run the 17"s before the gear change? Was it adequate? I am climbing wicked hills here so I am concerned about the motor heat pushing bigger meat up the hills but a quick motor change will solve that if this motor dies.
Have you seen the LED tape lights? I am about to install them and a color controler in mine. I will post pics of that when complete.

And now I have to run HID’s… Thanks for that one…[/quote]

i did the gear change on it first…i have been thinking about going with 8 to1 gears …the 6 to 1 are just for flat ground and where i live its fine but when i go to the lake there are some hills and it does not like them…also when i am pulling out my ski it some times had a HARD time…

the led i have are a tape style i bought them online in a roll of 15ft and just cut them to the length you want …slap some small speaker wire on it and done…

the HID’s made a huge difference…they told me it couldn’t be done …i guess something happened cause i did it…lol

my wheels and tires came off a Mazda Speed…gave 200 for the set …found them on craigslist…he wanted 400 but cash is king…

if you need any thing let me know …i also changed out the steering wheel for an aftermarket …and added an supercharger under the dash…

sad news is mine is an 09 and i don’t even have a 100 miles on it …no time with this crazy thing called WORK…:wink:

Had to sell my stretched/lowered slingshot-big bore, yosh cams, two brothers turbos and bottle. Sent me to the hospital running 1/4mile… Went for kawi 900RR tracked it for a while, last toy no more bikes.
My father and I wanted to do a monster turbo busa for Bonneville before he passed away. I am going to let one go and stay slower now. I have 125 shifter carts if I feel the need to be stupid…:smiley:

Gem is 4" Not 4x100 This is about 1.60 mm larger. This has been discussed before. Go here’

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-vehicles/8578-bolt-pattern-controversy.html.

[quote=ApacheshoresGEM;23175]??? Not sure I understand this houseboater. Can you explain: the bolt pattern for the rims are 4X100 = 4x4.5, typical import 4 bolt wheel pattern for Nissan, Honda and Mazda. This is still used on the Honda Fit and some others.

Do you mean the aluminum rims are different than the steel rims?

What do you mean by 4 vs the 400?

Please elaborate…[/quote]

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;23182]Gem is 4" Not 4x100 This is about 1.60 mm larger. This has been discussed before. Go here’

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-vehicles/8578-bolt-pattern-controversy.html.[/quote]

Interesting, though it was not really a thread or discussion just one post. I will put a mic on the hub tomorrow and find out.

4x100MM = 3x3.93701"… It does not seem that .06299" will affect the mountability but a quick check will not hurt.

I have put 3 sets of 4x100 wheels on Diffrent GEMS they all fit perfict. Honda civic uses a 4x100 with a. 38-40 mm offsett. I can tell you with 100% certainty that a 4x100 bolt pattern fits a Gem just fine.

[quote=ApacheshoresGEM;23196]Interesting, though it was not really a thread or discussion just one post. I will put a mic on the hub tomorrow and find out.

4x100MM = 3x3.93701"… It does not seem that .06299" will affect the mountability but a quick check will not hurt.[/quote]

If it is in fact 4X4 there are adapter plates on ebay, 4 for 100$…

[B][U]Question:[/U][/B] Has anyone had experience with this that has fixed the issue with either drilling the rim or using adapter plates?

The steel wheel I tested seated just fine. I am now only (very slightly) worried that aluminum rims may have an issue.
I can buy 4 used Honda rims with tires for $100 all day long on CL. For 100$ I will drill and countersink them if needed.

What offset did you have the best results with, or did it matter at all?

Let’s see what wheels you end up with for $100 :slight_smile:

I have seen about 10 sets of 16", 17" and 18" rims with tires on CL in my area. Granted these are used wheel and tires but since every kid with an import put rims on it, then, took them off when they traded the car in and now they are sitting in a garage I think my chances are pretty darn good of getting some 9 out 10 quality rims with decent rubber for that.

These are for $240 which on CL means $150… But if someone is throwing down the challenge I will try to get these for 1bill. I dont really want 18’s, I want 17’s…
But it is time to pay off christmas credit cards so CL is ripe with people that need cash…:D:D:D

17s with lowprofile tires are about as far as you can go without modifications.

I’m in for a decent set of 14s at a 100 bucks. Let me know where and when.

17’s with 35 series tires are about as tall as you can go. 16’s with 40 series will also work. I have 17’s on mine. If your ever in question if a wheel/tire combo will work you can do a search online for wheel caculator you punch in the tire and wheel size and it will tell you the over all height.

Yes good luck on finding a good set (no curb dammage) or bad tire wear set of “4” 17 wheels and tires that will fit your gem for $100

The wheels you posted look good they will look good on a Gem.

When shopping for used wheels be sure to inspect both inner and outer rings of the wheel. Often times when you see wheels for cheap it’s because they are bent or have damage. Unfortunately when you run the low-profile tires on a car they are very unforgiving when he comes to potholes. I even went to go look at a set of wheels that was listed as “in good condition” but ended up having flat spots all over them on the inside ring. On some wheels it’s very hard to see if they are bent or have damage when they’re just sitting on the ground. To make sure you’re 100% aware of what you’re buying make sure to carefully inspect all four wheels and tires.

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;23203]17s with lowprofile tires are about as far as you can go without modifications.

I’m in for a decent set of 14s at a 100 bucks. Let me know where and when.[/quote]

Check Dallas Craigslist. Not sure where you are but theres allot in Dallas and Houston.