New Gem owner. Questions

I have 2001. E825. 6 Trojans.

New to this forum.

Questions.

Can I replace the 3.5HP with 5HP gem motor from 2002 and later?

What is the verdict on Tires and Rims? I have called several places including buggies unlimited and they are clueless on what fits a gem. Should I stay with 12 inch rims? Where can I order a full set that will not rub?

4 x 4 bolt pattern is what I have been told. The rubbing issue I am trying to figure out myself. There is some great deals on ebay.

This forum moves really slow! Anyway, Will standard 12 inch Alloy rims with low profile street tires fit the rear fenders of a gem? Anyone?

I read the lugs are metric. True?

AV8 sorry you feel the forum is a little slow… I believe you can do the motor swap… be sure the holes line up… there should only be two…

wheels… the pattern is the 4x4… I put Honda wheels on my car… I have an eS (truckette) so clearance is not much of a problem… the lugs are metric… you probably have the rear fenders which may rub… I put 185/65R14 which were 23 1/2 diameter… with my 5hp motor the car went 25-27mph… I went to Discount Tire and they put on wheel on the car… checked all the clearances then mounted the tire and did the check again… before mounting all the tires… you can look at most tire company web sites to find a wheel you like…

you’re in FLA make Lee at Beck Chrysler your dealer… he has a free phone number and is knowledgeable on GEM car… he’ll drop ship to you and you can bounce questions off him, yell and holler too… 888-677-4961 his website GEMcarpartsdirect.com has car manuals that you can down load…

Bob

Thanks Bob. The golf cart tires have a 2 inch offset Out. I see the guy AZ is using them but i think he is lift the fender some how.

Do you have insurance on your gem?

Ill call lee. Thanks again.

the offset on a GEM is .38 I think… there is a whole thread on that subject here or join the NEV group on yahoo… got a photo of what you are looking at? there are also spacers that you can add… yes I have insurance… again insurance in FLA has a thread because you all have different laws for NEVs that most states…my car is my daily driver

Bob

[quote=AV8;21745]This forum moves really slow! Anyway, Will standard 12 inch Alloy rims with low profile street tires fit the rear fenders of a gem? Anyone?

I read the lugs are metric. True?[/quote]

Ill answer this. NO the 12 inch tire is too small. Need 14 inch or bigger and maybe spacer to lift rear fender.

the eS came with 12" chrome spokes… they looked good but I wanted the extra diameter of the 14"… plus finding a tire was a little tuff… the guys at Innovation Motorsports in AZ put really big tires on cars… I think NEVaccessories.com have the spacers as well as other accessories for older GEM cars (2000-2004)

Bob

Hey AV8,
I see you’re in Florida, where abouts? I’m in Lake Wales.
John

Melbourne beach. Perfect for taking kids and surfboard to beach and parks.

Took me a half hour with dmv lady to get it registered. They were clueless about LSV.

I’m still struggling with tire and rim upgrades. Very little info available. I want same diameter but better looking rims.

Next question. What is the range with standard 1275 Trojans?

[quote=AV8;21818]Melbourne beach. Perfect for taking kids and surfboard to beach and parks.

Took me a half hour with dmv lady to get it registered. They were clueless about LSV.

I’m still struggling with tire and rim upgrades. Very little info available. I want same diameter but better looking rims.

Next question. What is the range with standard 1275 Trojans?[/quote]

Well you’re only about 100 miles due east of me, maybe well get a chance to meet one day.
Wish I could answer your Trojan question, I just bought a set, but I’m still getting other electrical problems worked out. I got this car as a project car and it will need lots of work to get it going. I’m planning on up grading the standard charger with one from “ride-4-fun” that will give the T1275’s the juice they need to perform at there maximum. I’ll be reporting back on performance once I’m done.

AV… again go to any tire shop site… you can find a lot of wheels that will fit the GEM in all sizes… I looked at the Honda Del Sol and just told Discount tire I had one… of course thety had a little trouble finding it in the parking lot…

Wheel Bolt Pattern Cross Reference Database and Conversion Guide: HONDA DEL SOL

Bob

Are your brakes heavy? I have too really press to stop my 4 seater.

I found a 2002 service manual on Scribd app.

Attached is the tire page. Big difference between 2 and 4 seater which I have. I have 165/70R - 12.

Sorry that is error codes. Here is tire info.

A few notes on previous posts:

GEM four stud lug nuts and bolts are not SAE. There are all metric. 10X1.5 on older models and 12X15 on newer models after about 2000.

Several of us have measured the GEM four stud pattern and have come up with 4X100 mm. I confirmed this on a four lug VW, which are all 4X100. Try to test fit wheels before buying.

A newer charger will not necessarily charge your GEM any better or faster. The Zivan NG1 and the Quick Charge SCO (and its clones) are both good chargers. In reliability, I consider them equal. The old Schott chargers are obsolete and the newer Delta-Q are low quality.

Daniel

Daniel thanks for looking in on the thread… I assumed the thread on the bolt was SAE… I went to the tire shop and just watched after asking them to try the wheel that I had picked for the correct fit the mounted the tire and made sure of the clearance before mounting all of them…

I had a wheel cylinder leak… my mechanics changed both of them… later my brakes were hanging up… frustrated we changed all the brake lines and the resavoir… only after found there was a hand brake recall… replaced the hand brake and car has run like a top

Bob

[quote=eS GEM Colo;21841]Daniel thanks for looking in on the thread… I assumed the thread on the bolt was SAE… I went to the tire shop and just watched after asking them to try the wheel that I had picked for the correct fit the mounted the tire and made sure of the clearance before mounting all of them…

I had a wheel cylinder leak… my mechanics changed both of them… later my brakes were hanging up… frustrated we changed all the brake lines and the resavoir… only after found there was a hand brake recall… replaced the hand brake and car has run like a top

Bob[/quote]

Damn! Are pads easy to replace?

How many miles do you have on it? I’m at 7k.

The other issue I’m have is with the stereo. It drains the battery’s. There is no off switch.

haven’t replaced pads… might check with NEVaccessories.com… you’ll need to order the pads from them… the radio I have no answer… guess check all the wires to be sure the hot one isn’t bare and touching something metal

Bob

Not sure what you mean by “pads.” 2005 and newer have front disc brakes and use pads. All others use “shoes.” Both are easy to replace by any trained mechanic. After market pads and shoes can be found on the list below:

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-vehicles/2626-lists-alternative-superseded-parts.html