Graduate project

Hey folks,

I have some applications ideas for an EV and will be embarking on the conversion of a new vehicle after I secure funding and sponsorship. My intention is to work closely with other participants if possible in order to share the concepts and establish uniformity to an emerging energy infrastructure.

My chassis selection is what I’m consulting on here. My criteria are that it should be something that doesn’t come across as different from any other car. The looks of the Prius and The new Honda FCX are for lack of better terms, Odd. My goal is to avoid putting people off by using a glider that has dramatically different styling than what most people are accustomed to.

Presently I’ve concluded that the following new models are acceptable: Ford Crown Victoria, Ford Mustang, Dodge Charger, Buick LaCrosse, Pontiac G6

Anyone have better candidates? I’m trying to stick with domestic sedans to illustrate that this can and should be a change that doesn’t require exotic technology to implement.

Thank you for your input.

a crown vic would be a good, easy, and cheap way to do this since you can pick up old cop cars for very cheap still in great condition. not to mention their suspension is beefed up above and beyond the other versions (perfect for battery weight)

[QUOTE=FEUS;1964]a crown vic would be a good, easy, and cheap way to do this since you can pick up old cop cars for very cheap still in great condition. not to mention their suspension is beefed up above and beyond the other versions (perfect for battery weight)[/QUOTE]

I was actually considering building something for SEMA so an interceptor would prove many points. It would show that a true utility/service electric vehicle can be built that is viable. As long as I can get the power requirements right so that the range on the vehicle is still 150+ miles and all of the emergency equipment can operate nonstop while that range requirement is fulfilled, then I will have a successful project.

I recommend a 1988 - 1994 VW Cabriolet with manual transmission. Look for one that is rust free, with a good rolling chassis, no dents, no water leaks, and a good top. They can be found on the VW Vortex forums or on Ebay. You should be able to get one in very good condition for under $3000. This vehicle, although 16 to 20 years old, is a good choice because it is easy to work on, has the right weight, technical details are easily found, and parts are widely available - both used and new.

By the way, the rust belt (Ohio, Michigan, etc.) is not a good place to find a rust free vehicle. Road salt is a very damaging agent.

Thanks Voltsrus, I understand that the Rabbit/Golf is already a well supported conversion. I’m trying to use a platform that can be viewed as a “family” sedan. I want people to feel like they are in something that is no different from the average car driven by joe schmoe. However, if I did use the VW, I would probably use a more modern Golf MK IV 1996-2004. I had an 01 GTI and am kind of partial to the chassis.

[QUOTE=anghrist;1968]Thanks Voltsrus, I understand that the Rabbit/Golf is already a well supported conversion. I’m trying to use a platform that can be viewed as a “family” sedan. I want people to feel like they are in something that is no different from the average car driven by joe schmoe. However, if I did use the VW, I would probably use a more modern Golf MK IV 1996-2004. I had an 01 GTI and am kind of partial to the chassis.[/QUOTE]

I had an 03, they are nice!

but i think as far as an EV conversion the VW would need alot of wiring changed and it would be easier to just do a domestic since they dont have as complicated of systems.

You might take a look at Electro Automotive. They offer complete conversion kits, including battery boxes, heavy duty springs, motor, controller, charger, gages, etc. - everything but the batteries. Their website is

http://www.electroauto.com/gallery/vrabbit.shtml

Good luck with your project.