EASIEST vehicle to convert? Newbie

I’m about to start an EV conversion for primary reason of having fun with my 12 yo son who loves science and being green. I have as much knowledge of cars/mechanics/electiricty as an EV has emissions! I’m reading books.

I’m looking for the easiest vehicle to convert. I’ll buy a kit. I’m trying to keep the cost below $20K, keeping in mind the only tools I have now are screwdrivers, pliers, a wrench and a hammer.

My goal is to use this to commute up to 15 miles. I expect to be able to plug in at work. But I’d like a reliable 30mi range. I think I need a 45mph top speed to keep in the flow of traffic. It’s hilly where I drive (North Atlanta).

It seems the Chevy S10 (or Ford Ranger) is as good a donor vehicle as any if ease of conversion is an issue (and it is in my case), though I have no use for a pickup and would prefer a four seater (2 adults, 2 kids). Is this true? I know nothing about putting in bigger, better breaks and changing suspension.

Any advice on sources of kits?

Is this the right forum to post questions and pictures when I need help. I’m going to want to ask a lot of questions. Thanks.

Anyone think I should NOT do this project? (Speak now). Additional info: I’m giving myself 18 months and have a supportive wife. I am willing to outsource some stuff (e.g. engine removal). I recognize that I could buy one cheaper and easier (but that doesn’t achieve the #1 goal). In fact, it looks like some great vehicles are coming to the market (aptera etc).

It’s not too terribly complicated, especially if you are working from a kit.

A pickup would be a good choice because the rear wheel drive makes for lots of room in the engine compartment, and the bed (or under it) gives a lot of space for batteries. Also since it’s RWD there are no issues in terms of axel removal and the like. It’s pretty much remove the engine and bolt in the motor.

The kit will have the complicated parts: coupler, adapter plate, motor and controller. A pretty much random search pulled this complete S10 kit for example:

Conversion Kit, Basic, Chevy S10 Pickup

Hope this helps,

ga2500ev

RMacey
Look at EV Album - lots and lots of conversions with pics and info. S-10’s and Rangers are indeed popular. I don’t mean to be cute, but if you are going to outsource something like engine removal (the simplest part of the job), you may want to rethink the project.
tommyt

small trucks like s-10 are ‘easy’ because you have lots of room to work. But if you need 4 doors, and don’t need a pickup, you can find a 95-98 Geo metro or Suzuki Swift for $500-$1500 in great shape and have at it!

I have my whole conversion documented at Homepage - EnviroKarma.org

You should definitely do the project but take your time, don’t rush it.

electroauto dot com has some good kits and are well respected in the industry. You might want to read their book on conversions to get started.

Your performance expectations are very achievable.

20K is a budget that will allow you to outsource even the simple things like removing the engine.

But, really if you want to teach your son about science, take apart the old engine and show him why it is such a dirty machine. You can rent a lot of heavy equipment such as a cherry picker so as not to have to buy everything. But you will need to get a wrench set, and some other basic tools.

Again all of this is outlined in the conversion book. It’s a quick read and will get you started on the right track.

definitely check out evalbum dot com…you’ll get some ideas

[QUOTE=rmacey;6374]… I’m trying to keep the cost below $20K, …

My goal is to use this to commute up to 15 miles. I expect to be able to plug in at work. But I’d like a reliable 30mi range. I think I need a 45mph top speed to keep in the flow of traffic. It’s hilly where I drive (North Atlanta).

… prefer a four seater (2 adults, 2 kids). [/QUOTE]

Geo Metros /Suzuki Swift are great… small, seat 4, easy adaptor availability, and proven design abound. All new parts cost about $6000. You can get 40 mile range and 2-3 yr life for $1600 w/ Lead, or about 50 mile range, 8-10 year life and better performance w/ $5300 worth of LiFePO4 (cheaper in the long run).

see my build at Homepage - EnviroKarma.org

I think VW Beetle is also easy to convert, and kits are easily available. What do you think?