What the perfect donor car?

I thought I would start this thread for fun as I get asked this question all the time via email.

[B]What is the perfect donar car for making an ev (electric vehicle) car?[/B]

Post your answer …but included post at the top your top 3 ideal requirments.

Example:

1. Cost
  2. Overall Gross Weight
  3. Looks, style, color, just kidding really room for batteries!

i’d have to go with new dawn and his saturn.

it really depends on what you have at your disposal though. look for an inexpensive vehicle, decent transmission (assuming your using it) and decent space to put what it is you want in it as far as batteries or motor and so on.

its really not specific to car as much as what your going for… if you want a 25mph max speed cruiser or a lambo killer… all depends really.

I would say:

1. Cost
  2. Drag coefficiant
  3. Availabilty of parts

I am converting a VW fox 1990. This car violates two of my rules, but it was a car i had on hand! It is very boxy, and is almost impossible to find parts for. Oh well

Porsche 914

• cost

• performance

• conversion kits available

Also, while the 914 is dog ugly stock, there are body kits for it that make it look damn hot.

Porsche 924
Plenty of room for a direct drive setup between the rears and battery packs up where the motor was.
Light,
Cheap as chips
and one of the best drag coefficients of any car around, even still today!
gets my vote

oh and not a particularly ugly car either :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Jack the R;1443]Porsche 914

• cost

• performance

• conversion kits available

Also, while the 914 is dog ugly stock, there are body kits for it that make it look damn hot.[/QUOTE]
How dare you!

Just kidding, but the 914 is in my opinion one of the most beautiful cars made, at least in the last thirty years. I prefer them to any other Porsche.
I know I am in the minority, Oh well…:slight_smile:

Maybe you should take a look at the two Volvos in the classified ads section… Not that I have a bias or anything… :wink:

Type 1 VW Beetle or Super Beetle. Ultra light weight, surprisingly slippery, and bags of space for all the needed bits of kit.

Lectrol, what parts do you need for your Fox? Almost every part on it is interchangable with any other A2 VW, which are the '85-'92 Golf and Jetta.

If you go to the EVTradinPost on austinev.org, there’s quite a handful of “E-Beetles” and a strong donor car section.

My favorite donor car would be a classic European car such as a Renault Dauphine or Citroen SM or DS, but as for the best, it all depends on what you expect from the vehicle. I’d say I’m leaning towards a Lada Samara; aerodynamic, lightweight and not too bad looking (to me at least… I find it to be very European, kind of like an old Peugeot one series).