Given up on The DeltaQ

Those numbers are looking much better.
It looks like they enjoyed a good soak. Hopefully it knocked some of the cr@p off the plates.
It might be worth knowing what these are going down to under load tho (while driving).
I bet most of them are dropping down below 12. I’m not sure if I’d drive it much after 11 miles.

Yes, the DQ is in a tricky spot, but realize you don’t need to do anything to it for the profile check. Just switch off the Main Batt Disconnect and watch the panel.

How is your SOC display acting? With all of the external battery boosting that just happened, you may need to do some resetting on that for more accurate picture.

Re: below 12, will give this a shot enroute tomorrow.
Nothing appears in the panel with the main off.
is SOC = state of charge? are we talking the ammeter yellow lights on the DQ?.
Resetting?

3/29 update.
had to restart the DQ twice but green light eventually…
eight mile round trip this AM
total 77.8 – 72.9
13.28 --12.39 (12.75)
13.38 – 12.59 (new)
13.30 --12.43
13.28 – 12.41
n/a – 12.41
n/a – 12.39
will monitor a couple more days…

Looking at your Start numbers and am impressed that they are fairly close to each other (with exception of the new one).
I suspect you might taking this reading with the charger still plugged in(or fairly close to just being unplugged).

When I refer to the SOC (State of Charge) meter, I am talking about the one on the Dash that looks like a battery with colored bars.
Yes, with the main breaker off, this display will be dark.

When I refer to the Charger display, I am talking about the lights on the DQ Charger itself. This is what you are watching to observe the profile check in the instructions listed above.

Thanks for the clarification…
The battery voltage readings are taken with the charger and main switch off.
I am pleasantly surprised, with the results so far;;; Thanks for your help…

3/30 update
DQ went from green flashing to the two blink red fault?
After 11 mile round trip before/after. and 3 hours later just sitting
total voltage = 78.1/ 70.6/71.8
13.26/11.84 (12.75)/12.17
13.28/12.26 (new)/12.26
13.30/11.95/12.22
13.30/11.94/12.21
na/11.93/12.16
na/11.98/12.20
the 12.75 guy started the day at 13.26, after 8 miles = 12.16, 11 miles = 11.84.
WTF? First time 5 of 6 dropped below 12 v (in the last week anyway),
no degradation in speed throughout the trip 22-28 (uphill/downhill).
Is this the way batteries wiork?

12v flooded below 12v are dead

This exercise is exactly why I was putting you through all this.
You really have to know your pack and what you are doing to it when driving. The standard SOC on the dash doesn’t really tell you enough.

You are taking all these readings after running around a bit, But if you really want to scare yourself, I haven’t seen any numbers yet of how low these numbers are dropping UNDER LOAD.

I’m getting the picture that these batteries are about ready to give up.
They are not really the correct battery for your application and not meant to work this hard.
They are basically a wet cell that you can’t check the water levels on.
You have been using them every day for a year.
As djgab says, the typical Wet cell is considered exhausted when it reaches 12V. Any time you go below this it hurts the battery a little bit more. I bet you have been running them down past that more than you think. (You said it felt normal to you today)

12v battery SOC%

1 Like

What can I tell my wife?
Who wants to buy a 2005 GEM E2, 10K miles, $3500 OBO.
I’m bummed, maybe some recreational herb will make it go away… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Go lithium, it will drive like a new car and could be the last pack you buy for your ownership. There are some easy drop in pack the guys can set you up with

1 Like

“Make it go away”

Your wife or the GEM?

Send pictures of the GEM.

The wife DOES sound like trouble…

I just use it as an excuse.

Any Pics?? ??? ???

Pics in reply to jrjava. need more?

Who wants to buy a 2005 GEM E2

Is this serious? Wow- you give up easy.

2005 with small wheels?
I guess 05 is the transitional year.
Does it still have drum brakes in the front?

Huh… I bet that has at least 10.35 gearbox in it. Maybe even a 8.9?
If you see a barcode label on top of the trans post a pic of that.

Iirc 05 was the start of the 12.44:1 gears and the long GE 5hp. But if it’s an early 05, it could be 10.35:1 because Global played a bit fast and loose.

It will unfortunately likely have the T3 controller which was not very good if you wanted to change anything

I don’t think you’ll find a factory 8.9:1 after 2001 or maybe early 02. It basically went away at the same time as the short GE 3hp (99-01).

Nice cart btw. $3500 is a steal. Even with the lowrider tires and the electrical / charging glitch

Iirc 05 was the start of the 12.44:1 gears and the long GE 5hp.

I thought so too, but I saw those little tires and thought that motor must be really winging when up to speed!! I figured it might have been an option? Maybe not.

18&12.44@6k

This would explain his comment from post 26:

no degradation in speed throughout the trip 22-28 (uphill/downhill).

Even on flogged batteries, that thing must be a little maxxed out mountain goat.

MrScott2