DQ remote display

Working with Grant on a possible remote charger indicator.
Some models can get one from factory.
Looking for diy project.

Picture using fiber optic (audio) cable from an led to a junk dq panel.
Can’t short anything out with this idea.

Or, you could bend over and look! Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Lol!

I have had a few gems, at least 10. For some reason I love the old school display of the Orignal gem’s with a Tri Color Led front and center. For me I like the ability to simply peer out in the garage and you can see the charge status of your car not from 20 feet away.

The newer cars with the charge status on the dash works great. But for thoes of us with older cars with a delta Q you have no way of seeing wether your cars charged or not. 2002 cars have You mount the delta Q in a spot where you can’t see the display it’s not like the 2008 cars where you can simply bend down and see the status. I have to remove my dash to see what state the batterys are in.

Dave I have a DeltaQ that you can use for parts if u need a extra display. Just wondering how thick the fiber optic cable is gonna end up being when you get all the lights for the charger together

I don’t need the display.
I can send you one to play with.
It might be a mess unless you use small cables. Then maybe not bright enough.
I suggest trying an audio cable which is tiny inside. See if its bright enough.

If you just needed one or two lights, I would make an electronic system to light an actual led for the display.

If there was demand, I could make one with all the leds. Be kind of fun.
Need to make 8 or 10 to be worth it.

Well I’ll take three of them

It may be a plug in option. I’m researching now.
Found a plug for a remote red fault light.

Google DeltaQ remote led.

You don’t have to reinvent the wheel.

Rodney: Early delta Q s had a remote 3 color charge LED. New delta Q’s don’t. Example the delta Q’s on 2008 and up don’t. I’m not sure if you can’t open up a delta Q and add a 3 color charge status led to one?

Daves Idea was to come up with a Display that could relay all of the Chargers display information to the dash. Somthing that would work on all years

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;33278]Google DeltaQ remote led.

You don’t have to reinvent the wheel.[/quote]

Yes, we researched that.
Why is information so hard to get!

Now I’m wondering if the pin that sends the “fault” data might not be the one that would power the factory remote.

I suppose your right, I should buy one of those to test.

[quote=Gwest;33281]Rodney: Early delta Q s had a remote 3 color charge LED. New delta Q’s don’t. Example the delta Q’s on 2008 and up don’t. I’m not sure if you can’t open up a delta Q and add a 3 color charge status led to one?

Daves Idea was to come up with a Display that could relay all of the Chargers display information to the dash. Somthing that would work on all years[/quote]

I bought a Junk DQ from ebay for testing. Bad idea!

He has ten or so. Could ask him for one with remote dislay and throw another $50 at the project.:juggle:

I was told the older DQ’s with Remote 3 color Led were NOT able to be programmed for Lithium Profiles. You need to upgrade to the Newer DQ’s that DONT have a remit LED

Making some progress.
Would you be ok opening charger?

How about:
Green flashing led while charging
Green led reading profile #s
Red fault light
Not sure about “charge complete” yet

Data for charging and fault info available here.
The less decoding I have to hack the better.
Not enough time in the day.:rain:

Donations and junk Gem parts for my projects are welcome.:smiley:

Thanks Grant and Rodney.
And of course all my supporters.

This ok?
External better?

Charge complete can be solid green.:slight_smile:

I’ll mock one up and send it to test?

This is after potting. Electronics fit in indicator shell.

The ultimate would be to have a direct copy of what’s on the charger itself. But a green flashing Led with Solid green for 100% chargers will be fine

It would be more fun for me to build a circuit to relay the leds to a remote location.
Would you open your charger?
Would others ?