Error code

This just started happening, sometimes when I get in my 05 eS and turn the key on I get an error code 11. If I sit and wait, it will go off. some times a few seconds and sometimes as long as a minuet. Anyone have any idea what’s causing this and how to correct it?
Thanks,
John

You have your foot on the pedal when you turn the key on is a common cause. Turn thr key off and back on.

No, that’s not it Rodney, That’s what I thought at first, but my foot’s no where near the pedal. I’ve tried turning switch off and on, tried the master switch, nothing works. like I say, if I wait long enough it clicks and resets. The last time it took 3 minuets.

The newer type throttle is much more complex. Be sure the mechanism returns fully to the up position. One of ours had dust and debris inside and was sticking slightly.

I’m a little unsure where it can be sticking, or if it is. I have tried not touching anything except turning the key on, then wait a few seconds. sometimes it clears but after a minuet or two if it doesn’t, I’ll shut the master switch off then on and after a couple times of doing that it clears. This makes me think its not sticking but something else. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

Stomp your pedal a few (means 20 or more but less than 50) times.

Slam your Parking brake down hard. I read somewhere that maladjusted switch can some times trigger an 11 although I dont believe it.

If somethings close these actions should make it obvious or open it up and make it easier to trouble shoot…

I HATE intermittents!

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;22435]Stomp your pedal a few (means 20 or more but less than 50) times.

Slam your Parking brake down hard. I read somewhere that maladjusted switch can some times trigger an 11 although I dont believe it.

If somethings close these actions should make it obvious or open it up and make it easier to trouble shoot…

I HATE intermittents![/quote]

Hey Rodney,
Yeah I hate it too. I tried the pedal bit with no luck. Also tried tapping on the pedal mechanism around the switch with no luck. Things are getting worse each time I take it out. I went to take a spin around the park a bit ago and have learned something new. First, none of the things I did before to get it cleared worked this time. I finally puled the plug off the throttle mechanism and it cleared, but of course each time I turn the key off, the next time I turn it back on the code 11 is back.

I am not familier with the newer throttle assembly. How ever it sounds like your in the right area

Does pulling up on the pedal do anything. I sounds like the throttle is not returning far enough get off the switch if it has one or out of the sensor if thats how it’s equipped.

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;22437]I am not familier with the newer throttle assembly. How ever it sounds like your in the right area

Does pulling up on the pedal do anything. I sounds like the throttle is not returning far enough get off the switch if it has one or out of the sensor if thats how it’s equipped.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m going to do some more checking, my physical condition hampers my ability to work on this beast for very long at one time, so I’ll check it out more tomorrow.

Spoke with a GEM tech at a dealership in Fl. tells me its the accelerator pedal assembly is defective. :mad: more money… will it ever quit!

Piper

I would really like to take a look at it. I never saw one. I’m in Tavares Fl. Are we close?

Hi

here is a Picture inside pedal

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;22474]Piper

I would really like to take a look at it. I never saw one. I’m in Tavares Fl. Are we close?[/quote]

Well, were about 60 miles apart. I plan on being at the next meeting at the Villages Tue night. I’ll bring it along. If you’ll be there.
John

[quote=Gem e2;22496]Hi

here is a Picture inside pedal[/quote]

Thanks, is that the mechanism near the firewall under the hood?

Hi
yes you can see this part under the hood if you follow the Cable from controller

look at the left on this Picture you see the switch,now its full throttle
if its problem with that or Cable you will have code 05

but if axle to the right is loose from arm,you will get code 11

and if so maybe you not get full throttle ?

[quote=Gem e2;22501]Hi
yes you can see this part under the hood if you follow the Cable from controller

look at the left on this Picture you see the switch,now its full throttle
if its problem with that or Cable you will have code 05

but if axle to the right is loose from arm,you will get code 11

and if so maybe you not get full throttle ?[/quote]

Every thing seems tight, and I’m getting full throttle far as I can tell. using my GPS I’m reaching top speed of 29mph with my over size tires.
What happens now, is when I turn the key off, the next time I turn it on I get the code 11. If I leave the key on and unplug the wire harness from the throttle assembly and plug it back in, I get a click and the code 11 is cleared. everything works fine till I turn the key off again.

1. I’m taking a WAG and thinking that the left most contact strips is the on/off switch. Make sure there is NO contamination in the break in the conductor path. Check with an ohm meter.

2. With the throttle off - MAKE SURE the movable contact clears the break in the conductor path - nudge the lever a little farther off and try it.

3. Spray the strips with contact cleaner

4 Bend the left 2 contact sliders slightly to give more tension.

Are the black rectangles in the upper part of the picture connection points or electronic chips?

Rodney, I took my throttle assembly out of the car, but its sealed with no way to open it. I did try testing it the way they suggest in the service manual and I’m not getting good results. apparently the switch is two parts, one being what they call the star switch and I’m getting nothing on my ohm meter when the switch is supposed to be closed. And on my resistance test, I’m getting about half what I should be.

If your switch is built like the one in the picture there must be a way to take it apart. If it’s not testing out you have nothing to lose by cutting it open.

If your not in a hurry send it to me, I like to get in to these little problems. My fix rate is better than 50 percent.

BTW how much is a replacement?

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;22517]If your switch is built like the one in the picture there must be a way to take it apart. If it’s not testing out you have nothing to lose by cutting it open.

If your not in a hurry send it to me, I like to get in to these little problems. My fix rate is better than 50 percent.

BTW how much is a replacement?[/quote]

Well… according to Richard @ Bill Bryan’s around $300. He wasn’t sure. said he just ordered two of them and they should be in today or tomorrow. Since I’m coming up that way for Tuesday’s GEM club meeting, thought I’d pick one up. If you think you could fix the old one, I could bring it and we could see what we could do.