Code -11

I need help… I have a 2002 Gem car and sometimes when I hit the gas code -11 pops up and the car won’t go.Now I had the same issue 2 years ago and I replaced the micro swith for the emergency brake.It seemed to take care of the issue.What else could be causing this issue?Any help is much appreciated

Code -11 means the start switch, located inside the throttle assembly, is activated at power-on. This causes a safety lockout to prevent movement till the pedal is released and key is recycled.

I would think the problem is the micro-switch inside the throttle pedal assembly. Sometimes the micro-switch is bad and sometimes the return spring doesn’t release the pedal enough to open the start switch and then there’s always the possibility of a mechanical blockage in or around the pedal assembly.

I suggest you take the pedal assembly apart and examine for foreign objects and clean or replace the start micro-switch.

By the way, I moved this thread to the proper part of the forums: Neighborhood Electric Vehicles - Global Electric Motors (GEM).

[QUOTE=bob.peloquin;15396]Code -11 means the start switch, located inside the throttle assembly, is activated at power-on. This causes a safety lockout to prevent movement till the pedal is released and key is recycled.

I would think the problem is the micro-switch inside the throttle pedal assembly. Sometimes the micro-switch is bad and sometimes the return spring doesn’t release the pedal enough to open the start switch and then there’s always the possibility of a mechanical blockage in or around the pedal assembly.

I suggest you take the pedal assembly apart and examine for foreign objects and clean or replace the start micro-switch.

By the way, I moved this thread to the proper part of the forums: Neighborhood Electric Vehicles - Global Electric Motors (GEM).[/QUOTE]

Thank-you for the advice.I will try that and thnks for putting thread in the proper area.I’m new to this site.

[QUOTE=gem2002;15399]Thank-you for the advice.I will try that and thnks for putting thread in the proper area.I’m new to this site.[/QUOTE]

Did it work? I have the same problem. thanks, greg

[QUOTE=Greg9999;15715]Did it work? I have the same problem. thanks, greg[/QUOTE]

So far so good.What I did was take the gas pedal apart and clean all the dedris from underneath it and I cleaned all the connectings going to the parking brake switch and so far everything is working!! Good Luck

I will give that a try, thanks, Greg

I know this is old but new info I believe.

When I get a code -11 it seems to be more common right after I have charged and any little bump in the road can trigger it. But here’s a trick which works most of the time for me, turn on your head lights and you should get far fewer Code -11 events.

I think there might be some noise filtering going on by turning the head lights on as it’s likely the pedal switch is bouncing just enough to trigger the -11. But with the head lights on, the noise on the pedal signal might be slightly surpressed by the slight load on the 12V converter.

What ever the reason, it sure seems to work for me.

1 Like

It worked for me, turning on the headlights. Thank you

1 Like

Glad it worked but darned if I know why. My vehicle still does it when we have warm dry Santa Anna weather conditions. Crazy as it sounds, it hardly ever does it any more when the weather is normal for this time of year in SoCA( day=~70, nights low 60s and avg humidity ).