Delta Q chargers

Yes, battery switch was off.

It seems as though the charger is working fineā€¦other than not telling me what algorithm it is in.

I just checked again to be sureā€¦this is what always happens:

Switch is in off position.

Plug AC into GEM.

Charger runs a self test.

After test the power light is on and the Ammeter light with one bar continually flashes.

Could it be that my charger is set to algorithm #1?

havenā€™t seen that before

SantiagoDann In case you havenā€™t found your answer, I just had this happen and it was corrosion between the computer like power plug on charger to the cord that goes to the hood. Cleaned it up and no more 1 bar flashing.

1 Like

SNAFUā€¦!!!
Lets see if I can summarize my current status as best I can. First off, thanks to everyoneā€™s help here, especially @LithiumGods. Mike, your dedication and support have been instrumental.

My DeltaQ is behaving abnormally and Iā€™m stumped as to why this would occur. Currently when I attempt to plug the DQ in to charge, I get the 6 red lights of death. If I turn the GEM on before hand and then plug the DQ in, it attempts to kick off charging but then cycles on/off; this continues until I disconnect everything.
Back story, I purchased a 20s Chevy Bolt pack from LithiumGods then picked up an AntBMS to support both packs. I jacked up that BMS then ordered another. I obviously wasnā€™t paying attention during the process, either that or was swindled, and received the 20s 80Amp BMS. Well that wonā€™t work so re-order and months later receive the 20s 300A BMS. Hooked everything up and all cells are pretty tight around 3.68.
Before I received the correct BMS I was charging with the current DeltaQ with no issues. After I hooked up the BMS the charger is now behaving as mentioned above.
Couple of items that may or may not help to identify the source of the problem.
First, after everything was squared away (or so I thought) I took he GEM out in Low Speed mode around the neighborhood for a couple of laps; no issues noted. Then about 20 minutes later took it out again in High speed mode. About halfway in (approximately 3-4 minutes) the GEM died. I turn off the main switch and cart then turned them back on. She fired right up but this time I returned to Low Speed mode just in case.
Second, I never reconnected the battery temp sensor (black and red cables that previously connected to the main negative on 12v deep cycle batteries). Not sure if/how that may affect the operation and where they should go if needed.
So for now I have a set of well balanced lithium batteries that can get me aroundā€¦but wonā€™t charge. Thoughts?

I donā€™t want to send you off on a goose chase but it almost sounds like the BMS has the input an output amperage set really low and shutting down the circuit.
When charging - make sure the charge or input amps are set to about 50. Your charger should only be 12A.
Discharge or output Amps - check to make sure they are at 300 amps.
These setting are in the BMS - if either of these limits are hit it will trip the BMS and shutdown your batteries.
Just a shot in the dark.

Thanks @MikeKC. Not exactly a shot in the dark considering I never dialed in the parameters on the BMS. I wasnā€™t certain what they should and shouldnā€™t be so I left it alone. Current settings are as follows (These are specific to the ANT BMS):
-Battery Type-
Physical AH: 100.000 AH
Initial SOC: 0
Cell Number: 20
Cycle AH: 0.00 AH

-Protect Parameters-
Cell High: 3.6
Cell Recover: 3.4
Cell Low Protect: 3.0
Cell Low Recover: 2.6
Cell Diff Protect: 1.0
Total Volt High Protect 87.6
Total Volt Low Protect: 0.0
Charge Current High Protect: 50.0 A
Discharge Current High Protect 300.0 A
Short Circuit Protect 450.0 A

-Balance Control-
Balance Start Volt: 3.4
Balance current: 200A
Balance Limit Volt: 3.6
Balance Start Cell Diff: 0.002

-SOC Calibration-
100%: 3.4
90: 4.053
80: 3.946
70: 3.845
60: 3.755
50: 3.673
40: 3.624
30: 3.592
20: 3.555
10: 3.477
0: 3.1

-Hall Speed-
Cycle Time: 23
Tire Length: 1000mm

You said this was a Bolt battery? If so, Cell High should be 4.1 - 4.2 depending on others input.
Bolt cells should be about 4v to 4.1v max with a high voltage alarm at 4.2 - IMHO.
That could be stopping your charge.
High Voltage protect should about 83v for a 20S

These look good:
Charge Current High Protect: 50.0 A
Discharge Current High Protect 300.0 A
So I am not sure why it is dying while driving unless you are loosing a cell lead to the BMS. Does it beep or anything when it dies?
Try driving it while watching the BMS on the tablet. Do you get any errors on any of the cells.
ā€œCELL LINE VOLTAGE DROPPEDā€ - or something like that?

1 Like

I think I got it. All cells are roughly 3.68. I went back and double checked and cell 16 is at 3.8. Then adjusted the cell high protect to 3.9 and attempted to charge. Bingo! Looks like the BMS is doing its job.
Iā€™ll see if cell 16 gets back in line with the others over the next couple of days. Otherwise, any recommendations?
Also, this doesnā€™t explain the shutdown in high mode. maybe the controller was overheated? not sure how if I didnā€™t really use the GEM that much.

Thanks again

Have Michael help you set this up. It should not have come with these settings.
Reset all parameters for LiIon cells.

Thatā€™s the nice thing about using a full bms. Doesnā€™t matter. Charging will stop on that cell being full.
Eventually bms will bring it down. Most smart bms have a balance led to watch. You can turn balance on manually from the app too.

Iā€™ll update the settings to the ones you recommended.
I didnā€™t call hearing any alarms when it shut down but will take it out again to see if I encounter a similar issue and note if the BMS displays errors. Thanks again for the feedback

Even better. I clearly want to protect all cells but will link up with Michael when heā€™s available

Just got back in town. Your bms is in Lifepo4 mode, that is what those parameters are. You can switch it to Li-ion mode or just change the parameters. Do you know what algorithm your charger is set to?

Did I reprogram your charger?

I, too have a Delta Q charger question.2001 E2, appears to be stock except for the charger. The batteries are Full River DC115-12 AGM units,
When the batteries are low, the charger appears to work normally - the ā€œamp meterā€ slowly goes down from 6 to 1 - at that point I get the red fault light with 2 flashes. The SOC indicator will read anywhere from 85 to 100. Every now and then I get a complete charge with a green light.
Any ideas?
Thanks!i

1. It is always best to start a new thread instead of tacking on to one originated in Dec '14.

2. What is the condition of your batteries?

3. Did you check what charge profile your charger is set to?

I agree - should have started a new thread,
The batteries all load test good and the profile was set to 32 by the tech support group at Full River.
He tried to set it to their suggested profile but it would not work after that. Sent it back and they set it to 32 - the nearest profile. P.S. I am unable to change the profile using the tap method.

Mike, thanks for the response. Work and life getting in the way as always on my end.
Yes you did configure my Delta-Q; charging profile #128 (82.04v).
Iā€™m wondering if thereā€™s also a setting applied on the BMS to limit the amperage output. Reason I think this is that if I switch to High mode on the GEM, itā€™ll start to accelerate as normal, but then shuts off when I begin pushing a the throttle a little more. The GEM completely shuts off so I turn everything off, wait for a minute or two, then turn it back on with no issues. Itā€™s almost like a timed reset.