Delta Q chargers

I purchased a 2008 E4 Gem car a few months back. Everything was great for the first couple of month. I notice that the batteries hadn’t charged as usual, I though I just hadn’t push hard enough on the plug in cord. After making sure it was plug in right it looked like it was charging…looks can be very deceiving. I got on here to see if I could figure out the trouble…I messaged “Ole House boater” the gave me great info and pointed me in the right direction. Being unsure if it was batteries or charger I grabbed my trusty voltmeter and checked the batteries…low voltage…so it is batteries or charger.
Here is what I found out I looked though some of post I found bits and pieces. Gem has no tech support other than taking order to sell small parts…and refer you to a distributor or service center.

My charger is a Delta Q Quick charger 912-7200-01, you can find Delta Q’s on the internet but not with the -01 they are for Gem only. Here is what I found out Gem changed the algorithms my charger was flashing 1-4 code. After talking to several places I found out 1-4 is the code for Gel 8g31 batteries not a trouble code. Aren’t they brilliant!! I charger my batteries thinking it was low voltage…seemed reasonable…no!!!check voltage coming out of the charger…hmmm no!!. Bought a new Delta Q hooked it direct to the batteries…oh yea I set it on algorithms #6 within three hours had a green light. Here is where it gets interesting one of the first thing I noticed was my batteries meter on the dash wasn’t working…my concern here was if the new charger would be compatible with the system or had Gem doctored it also??? I call several place to see if my old charger could be repaired. Gem wants 815.00 for a new one. The one I bought was 375.00 I finally found a place called FSIP that will manufacture them for 285.00. I have spent several hours talking to people about the compatibly of the chargers. Delta Q chargers have several 5-7 algorithms built in, Gem has 5 but has changed the #'s so #13 is for flood batteries #14 is for Deka 8g31 Gel and #15 is for gel battery pack refresh or recovery. If I can help with Delta Q charger I’ll be glad to share what I have learned.:eek: It would be ever so helpful if GEM had a tech support like computer or software!!! God help you if you get hasty and don’t think through things…

BB

Good information. I had a DQ that I couldnt change the program. In 6 months I went from 25 miles range to 12. I could not get the gravity up past 1235 I finally had a tech change the program (he did it in 5 minutes). The battery dealer took the batteries and “Serviced” them, took a week. Flooded batteries have to charge hard enough to bubble the fluid. They sulphate up fast if this doesnt happen.

Hi beachbum

you can not hooked negativ cable direct to the batteries
you need to hooked it to negativ on controller
if not your battery meter on the dash will not work

I connected it directly to the batteries for two reasons…1st was to make sure the batteries were saved storing them for any time at a low charge can ruin them they are 2009 batteries. 2nd I wanted to make sure that the batteries weren’t already ruined or damaged. I was told by several Gem dealer that the problem was the batteries and that the charger I purchased wouldn’t work on GEMS due to the fact that it wasn’t from Polaris. At any rate they charged I got a green light in three hours. I hooked up the new charger (wire it in) drove the cart 12 miles using about 50 to 55 % of the batteries. Plugged it back up and it was 100% charger in 2.5 hours. And the dash meter worked after being wired in for 24 hours. If you change out charger the 912-7200 has to be changed to the right algorithm for the batteries. The green wire is not a ground but is part of the interlock if you hook it up as a ground you will burn out the interlock and charger won’t charge.

[quote=beachbum;23024]I purchased a 2008 E4 Gem car a few months back. Everything was great for the first couple of month. I notice that the batteries hadn’t charged as usual, I though I just hadn’t push hard enough on the plug in cord. After making sure it was plug in right it looked like it was charging…looks can be very deceiving. I got on here to see if I could figure out the trouble…I messaged “Ole House boater” the gave me great info and pointed me in the right direction. Being unsure if it was batteries or charger I grabbed my trusty voltmeter and checked the batteries…low voltage…so it is batteries or charger.
Here is what I found out I looked though some of post I found bits and pieces. Gem has no tech support other than taking order to sell small parts…and refer you to a distributor or service center.
U

My charger is a Delta Q Quick charger 912-7200-01, you can find Delta Q’s on the internet but not with the -01 they are for Gem only. Here is what I found out Gem changed the algorithms my charger was flashing 1-4 code. After talking to several places I found out 1-4 is the code for Gel 8g31 batteries not a trouble code. Aren’t they brilliant!! I charger my batteries thinking it was low voltage…seemed reasonable…no!!!check voltage coming out of the charger…hmmm no!!. Bought a new Delta Q hooked it direct to the batteries…oh yea I set it on algorithms #6 within three hours had a green light. Here is where it gets interesting one of the first thing I noticed was my batteries meter on the dash wasn’t working…my concern here was if the new charger would be compatible with the system or had Gem doctored it also??? I call several place to see if my old charger could be repaired. Gem wants 815.00 for a new one. The one I bought was 375.00 I finally found a place called FSIP that will manufacture them for 285.00. I have spent several hours talking to people about the compatibly of the chargers. Delta Q chargers have several 5-7 algorithms built in, Gem has 5 but has changed the #'s so #13 is for flood batteries #14 is for Deka 8g31 Gel and #15 is for gel battery pack refresh or recovery. If I can help with Delta Q charger I’ll be glad to share what I have learned.:eek: It would be ever so helpful if GEM had a tech support like computer or software!!! God help you if you get hasty and don’t think through things…[/quote]

I just put in 6 new Trojan AMG 31 batteries and my charger is charging (I think to much) but I’m not sure it doesn’t register on my dash it has now ran about 6 hours and is putting in 95 volts and when I unhook the charger it says 81 volts the green light is blinking and the numeral signal is at I. The batteries are not hot but I can hear them bubbling. The dash doesn’t register the charging indicator on the dash is ramping but when I unhook it only shows the red bar and the percentage gauge shows 00. Does anyone have any ideas???
John

Did you change out AGM or Flooded Batteries. You have to charge AGMs on the flooded setting because there is no AGM setting on a GEM DQ.

I took out gel batteries and put I in 31 AGM Trojan that are a partial gel batteries spoke with a gentleman in Florida this morning and he said just to keep charging them that the charger will shut down when full. Just do not want to kill the batteries.

Gel’s, AGM’s, !00Ah Floodeds and 150 Ah Flodded’s (Trojan) have different programs.

Those programs are in your charger.

I have a gem car with the delta-q 912-7200-1 charger. I plan to put Interstate agm batteries in it. Someone at Interstate technical support said that the algorithm needed to be set at 8.

Can anyone tell me how to change the algorithm to 8?

#8 is for AGM batteries

Here is a DQ algorithm list.

Hello! I have an issue with two Delta Q IQ chargers. Both flash six times red, which I understand to be a an internal charger fault. I replaced the soldered fuses in one charger and it returned to six flashes red. After speaking with a tech in Florida, I was told that the chargers are blown/scrap. Is there a possibility that plugging in these chargers to the Gem car is killing the chargers? Battery pack is wired correctly, but voltage is sketchy. Will a fresh set of Trojans get either charger back up and running?

FSIP will repair and progran your DQ’s. $$$$$

I can’t program one of these puppy’s but my buddy does it first time every time. Go Figure

Don’t know what you mean by “sketchy” and I don’t know a thing about DeltaQ chargers but I know that if the pack voltage is below a certain level (65V?), some chargers won’t engage and charge the pack. Maybe that is your problem?

Solution is to use a standard 12v car charger on each battery individually until they are all charged sufficiently and the entire pack is above the onboard chargers cutoff point. Might be worth a shot.

so, as of this writing, my answer to my charging issue lies within the new charger on it’s way from Ride4Fun. First generation Gem cars and Delta Q IQ chargers do not play well together. While I will bet some of you beg to differ, after much research and phone work with Dustin at Innovationmotorsports, and a Gem dealership in Florida, this seems to be what’s holding up the process. I will let you know later when I have achieved victory.

Just curious. You never responded with any info on what the “sketchy” voltage issue was?

The batteries were of a mixed bag variety. Surface voltage on three were good, but under load showed otherwise. Customer is springing for a new set of Trojans.

New set of batteries (Trojan 30XSH is good; T1275 is better) and a new R4F charger set to the correct charging profile. Yep, you should be rolling!

BTW, the R4F charger is (or was at one time) a private label Quick Charge Corporation unit.

i’ll buy your old broken deltaq’s when u want to sell them.

mike

Hello,
I’m new here. This is my first post. I have a 2010 e4 and have replaced my bad charger with a new Delta-q without the -01, exactly as beachbum did… I was told not the use the green wire from the new charger and to connect the interlock wire on the car to the battery temp wire. Both are not used with the new charger. The temp. wire is combined with the ground on the new charger. I was told this would ground the interlock and allow the car to be driven. That did not work. How do I bypass the interlock?
Thanks

2010 really should have the proper charger as the interlock is electronic and also feeds the display. Do not mess with the green wire.