Quick Charge Charger Conversion on 2005 GEM

When the Chinese made Delta-Q battery charger in our 2005 GEM failed after only four years of modest use, I considered all the repair / replacement options. Factory repairs are by contract with GEM, so I can’t just send the charger to Delta-Q in British Columbia, Canada. In the event the unit was not repairable, a replacement Chinese made charger lists at over $700. Despite all the good things I’ve read about these, this unit has not been without its troubles. Frequent nuisance faults, overcharging, tripped circuit breakers (it’s on a dedicated line), and a nagging problem with the thermistor have annoyed the vehicle’s operators. So, I looked for alternatives. Quick Charge, a company based in Oklahoma, has been manufacturing its own line of chargers, load regulators, and discharge testers for more than 30 years. While they don’t market a unit specifically for the GEM, there are several which are acceptable for on-board or off-board use. Like the Delta-Q, the Quick Charge units are totally weather and vibration proof along with being programmable for different battery types. The Quick Charge uses an actual transformer to reduce AC line voltage to the 72 volts DC used by the GEM. I see the lack of complex electronics as an advantage in reliability and ease of service. The only disadvantage is that the supply voltage cannot be changed. Delta-Q will run interchangeably on 120-240 volts AC, whereas the Quick Charge, due to its transformer, is restricted to a single supply voltage. The Quick Charge units are, however, available in either 120 or 240 volt versions. Once I decided on using Quick Charge, sizing the unit became the next decision. Literature from Delta-Q lists the output of 12 amps. Quick Charge markets a 10 amp (SCO7210) and 20 amp (SCO7220) version of their 72 volt programmable charger. The ten amp costs about $400 and the 20 amp is about $550. I chose the 10 amp unit because of its lower cost and the sporadic use of the vehicle. If the vehicle were subject to longer trips, hills, and cargo use, I would have gone with the 20 amp unit. When received, the unit was well packed, came with good instructions, and was easy to install and program. My initial fears of transformer noise were unfounded as the unit is very quiet and nothing like the old time Lester golf car chargers were. The unit was mounted inside the cab next to the hand brake allowing the charge display to be read from outside the vehicle. One minor drawback is that the display only works when the charger is actually plugged in and further, the original steering mounted display does not function with the new charger. A simple voltmeter would solve this. The single red/amber/green LED will be familiar to anyone with an older GEM that used the Zivian charger. Another matter anticipated was the safety interlock that is eliminated by the new charger. I chose to add a simple normally closed relay that opens the control circuit whenever the charger is connected to line power. The Delta-Q wiring diagram and the GEM manual show which wires must be connected. This is done to prevent an operator from driving away with the cord still attached. Thus far, the new charger has worked very well having saved us hundreds of dollars and several weeks downtime.

Daniel

1 Like

KISS
i used a specially wound transformer with a heavy secondary winding the peak voltage,not the rms vopltage ac was 80 volts
this coincided with the gassng voltage of the battries.
the result was a 30 amp charge on low batteries (120 ah) and a tapering charge of 10 amps till the batterys started to gass then a simple over voltage relay tripped it out and stopped the charge.
dead simple, worked well, nothing to go wrong.

(Keep It Simple Stupid) kiss

GEMmechanic,

Based on your comments, I went ahead and bought one of these to replace the SCHOTT in my 2000 GEM car. Installation as a charger went okay and batteries charge perfectly.

Problem is that cart doesn’t run. The GEM manual isn’t real clear as to where the red/grn wire that connects to the key switch is connected on the Schott charger or how it’s meant to function so that it can be reconfigured on upgrade. (Can’t find a schott schematic)

Diagram suggests that it connects to MH19 - pin 1 which is also where the white wires going to the battery + connect. Seems logical that the switch on column would need power to turn on the display and power the vehicle, but 72 volts seems too high to go to the BPI and switch.

Tried it with a small 12v battery (in case Schott was providing a small control voltage on that connector, but no bpi reading and no drive.

Tried it with 72v - same result.

When master switch is first turned on, with key off, BPI reads miles, etc. , but turning key on everything is dead (lights, horn, etc. though all work fine).

Spent the last 3 days searching the Internet to try to resolve this to no avail. There is surprisingly little information about the physical rewiring in going from schott to zivan or delta-q that is helpful.

Obviously, ride-for-fun isn’t interested in letting me have a copy of their install instructions.

Somebody must have done this… Any help would be appreciated.

lee

Unless you really know what you are doing, avoid the homemade chargers. I have seen a $4,000 set of 72 volt locomotive batteries ruined because the railroad used an arc welder to jump start the engine. I have converted from a Delta Q, but never one of the older chargers. The Zivan units are reliable enough that I leave them in. There are two small wires that connect to the interlock relay in the charger. This relay is there to prevent one from driving off with the cord attached. A good idea because we have had several other vehicles rip the cord out of the off board charger because the operator did not unplug. Find the two wires and jump them together. I can check the wiring diagram this week to confirm the colors. If you jump the together, you must remember to unplug. I have added my own interlock relay to several vehicles including the GEM we converted a few years ago. Apparently, Quick Charge now has the option of an interlock relay.

Daniel

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;14870]I have converted a Delta Q, but never one of the older chargers. The Zivan units are reliable enough that I leave them in. There are two small wires that connect to the interlock relay in the charger. This relay is there to prevent one from driving off with the cord attached. A good idea because we have had several other vehicles rip the cord out of the off board charger because the operator did not unplug. Find the two wires and jump them together. I can check the wiring diagram this week to confirm the colors. If you jump the together, you must remember to unplug. I have added my own interlock relay to several vehicles including the GEM we converted a few years ago. I can provide details and par numbers for this setup.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

I found the wires and connected them to the relay in the Quick Charge, but I’m still not able to get the GEM running.

One of the biggest hassles with the older GEM service manual is that it is a block diagram without a real schematic diagram. My remaining problem is how to wire the connector that went into the Schott charger that handled the wire from the key switch (red/grn) and the temperature sensor.

I don’t care about the temp sensor - just want to get the key switch to function again, but I’m unable to find the appropriate place to connect the switch wire.

I took apart the schott, but could get far w/o a schematic.

Anybody have a schematic for that or a real schematic for the Gem? I’m so close… One more wire to figure out how to swap the charger correctly.

lee

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I’m buying a quick charger with the built in interlock and want to make sure it’ll work first…

I would like to know too. I have my car running with the main switch turned on but have no 12 volt. No ignition switch, lights, etc. Did you figure this out? Ty.

im not sure about the charger u have but i have the delta q and it went out and i got the supercharger …i had to leave the old charger in the car to get the display to work…i dont use the interlock i just remember to unplug the car before i drive…

I have a Ride-For-Fun super charger. The support if you call there is horrible. Only one guy answers the phone. I guess it is his cell phone #. All he wants to do is sell parts. They should not say they have great technical support. All I wanted from him was the directions on hooking up the charger. Evidently I put them up where I would remember where they are and I can’t find them. Wanted to make sure it is still hooked up right. The wiring has been tampered with at the dealership when I took it in for recalls. My car was not running when I took it in and it was not running when I picked it up. We got it to go but not sure the wiring is right. I have no 12 volt of any kind. I’m not sure where the ignition wires go. Can you give me any help? Do you have the same charger? Ty.

Also, I don’t remember which charger was originally in it. It is a big silver rectangle one. It burned up is why I had to replace it. Wish I had known about Evdrive then. I only have the R/F/F charger in the car.

Can anyone tell me where the ignition switch wires go? I know one of them goes to the charger. What about the other one?

I need to know where the ignition wires run to under the dash. I have one hooked up to the charger. Ride4fun charger. Cant get 12 volt.

Daniel, a couple of questions about your Quick Charge conversion:

1. Did you need to make any modifications to the charger (wiring, connections, etc.) on installation?

2. Will the BDI still work while operating the Gem? I understand from other posts that the charging indicator lights won’t work during the charge cycle, but my concern is the percentage charge display you see while driving around. (I have a 2002 Gem.). Thanks! Mike

I need the same info; Should the Schott Charger remain in the harness to handle the 12volt step down connections for lights and to handle the interlock?

Or does someone have a schematic that we can use to bypass the interlock and connect to the 12volt step down circuit?

The conversion is easier on the older pre-2005 models. Quick Charge now makes the charger with the interlock, so an external relay is not needed. The Quick Charge LED indicator is compatible with the existing LED in the GEM dash. The 12 volt step down is handled by the DC convertor and should not be affected.

Daniel

[quote=GEMmechanic;19693]The conversion is easier on the older pre-2005 models. Quick Charge now makes the charger with the interlock, so an external relay is not needed. The Quick Charge LED indicator is compatible with the existing LED in the GEM dash. The 12 volt step down is handled by the DC convertor and should not be affected.

Daniel[/quote]
DOes Quick Charge supply the conversion connectors?

I am using Deka 220ah dc31dt, a GEM Mechanic is telling me that this battery set will not work for the GEM. I purchased them from Battery Giant, they told me they were compatible.

Deka lists your DC31DT as a marine/RV deep cycle battery as opposed to the DP31DT, which is a duel purpose starting battery. The batteries you chose are the better choice. I will avoid a detailed comparison of the merits of battery types. To some, that is like advocating astro turf at Wimbledon. I am not aware of conversion connectors made for any particular vehicle, but more than a thousand of the Quick Charge chargers have been sold for use in the GEM. Most of these are sold by Ride For Fun. I am ordering another charger from Quick Charge this week.

Daniel

[quote=GEMmechanic;19693]The conversion is easier on the older pre-2005 models. Quick Charge now makes the charger with the interlock, so an external relay is not needed. The Quick Charge LED indicator is compatible with the existing LED in the GEM dash. The 12 volt step down is handled by the DC convertor and should not be affected.

Daniel[/quote]
Is there a lead from the LED to connect to the on-board indicator?

I have installed the 7220 from Quick Charge. Simple Installation. Took 20 minutes. batteries are fully charged. Can’t run the GEM though, can’t figure out the ignition lockout connection… There is a black wire and a white wire coming off of the Quick Charger. Just not sure which wires are the lockout. Is it the Green Pair?

There were two small wires going to the old charger. Connect the green wire to the red/green wire. These wires are the charger interlock. The GEM can be driven jumped out until the charger interlock is properly connected. Just remember to unplug so that you don’t drive away with the cord.

Daniel